Saturday, May 2, 2015

Mysterious Women

As I began pulling together my research into biographies of various ancestors and relatives, it struck me that most of the women are big mysteries.  The men can be found much more easily than the women.  It is rather frustrating.  I want to get to know my female relatives as well as my male ones.

There are many reasons for this, of course.  Most of the types of documents we can find about our ancestors were male-dominated: land records, politics, news, wills, probate, business.  

For my research, it is usually letters that give insight into the women.  And letters are rare and getting rarer.

Anyway, I am a stubborn researcher and I don't give up easily.  I plan to post what I know about the Mystery Women in the families I am researching.  Perhaps someone will recognize them and give me some new clues and new insights into their lives.

Copyright 2015 Sue Beach.

Feel free to email me directly sdbeach22  at   gmail  



1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I have always wondered what Amanda Louise (Duncan) Tade was doing and where she was during the Civil War while her husband, Ewing Ogden Tade, was traveling with the Union troops as part of the United States Christian Commission.

    ReplyDelete