Thursday, May 28, 2015

Why Do I Do This?

Who is this?  What is his story? Photo probably from Richmond, Indiana in the 1950s.

I've been busy with lots of stuff the past few days and so have not had a chance to do a new biographical post.   Soon, though, I hope.

Today while mowing the lawn (aka no genealogy post), I was thinking about why genealogy and family history interest me so much.

I enjoy the mystery and the hunt and solving puzzles.  I love the thrill of finally finding a piece of information I've been searching for.  It is fun to sort it all out and fit it all together.  It is fun to try different approaches to see what will turn up the information I'm seeking. 

I don't care much about just names and dates and charts and taking a family line back to ancient times.  I don't care much about finding famous ancestors or proving descent from a Revolutionary soldier or a Mayflower settler (though it is fun when I find it, just not what drives me).

I decided that what I care about is the stories.  People's stories.

I want to know about their lives, what they did, what they cared about, who they really were.  Not just names and dates on a chart.

That is why I find myself following an interesting tangent that has nothing to do with the direct families I'm researching.  (See for example "Poor Frank" or "Emelie Davis")

That is why I hate not being able to find much about so many of the women in my families.

Learning people's stories and then sharing them.  That is really what this blog is about.

When I learn someone's story and then tell it, the memory of that person stays alive - at least a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment