Friday, April 24, 2015

Mysteries from the Hankinson Attic: Emelie Davis

I guess I'll start with a mystery.  Of the many unidentified old photos in my possession, this is one I find particularly intriguing:


Emelie Davis 1882-1936

"Emilie Davis  Age 10 yrs   1890"  Taken at Ely's Studio, 338 Algoma St.,  Oskhosh, Wisconsin.

This photo came from a group of old photos found in the attic of the John R. Jones home in Hankinson, North Dakota.  There is no known family connection to Emilie, so she may be a friend.  I have done a little searching for her on the usual on-line sites, but have found nothing conclusive.

I will keep looking for Emilie Davis, born about 1880.  I would love to pass this photo on to one of her descendants. 

Update:  Thanks to the comment (below) by Scott Cross, Archivist at the Oshkosh Public Museum, I now know a bit more about Emelie.  I found her on the 1920 census in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, with her husband, Raymond Hollister, a lawyer, and her two sons, John R. and Seymour.  I also found the family in 1910 and 1930 on the census.  

They were married Sept. 18, 1902.  I found this:  in the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh, Wisconsin) on 17 Sept. 1927, page 10:  "Raymond Asa Hollister, son of Col. Seymour Hollister, of Oshkosh, and Miss Emily Dais, a sister of Mrs. C. A. Babcock, of Neenah, are united in marriage in a ceremony in which all the Fox River valley takes an interest."   And from page 16 of the same newspaper on 2 Sept. 1927, "Invitations have been issued announcing the approaching marriage of Raymond Asa Hollister and Miss Emelie Davis, recently of Neenah, but now of Chicago.  The event is to occur at the home of a sister of the bride to be, Mrs. Charles A. Babcock, of Neenah, Thursday Sept. 18 at 8:30 o'clock in the evening."

I also found a notice of her death on March 15, 1936.  In it, her parents were named as Mr. and Mrs. John R. Davis.  She was born 25 April 1882 in Neenah, Wisconsin.
 

Copyright 2015 Sue Beach.

Feel free to email me directly sdbeach22  at   gmail   

2 comments:

  1. Emilie Davis was born in Wisconsin on April 25, 1882. I do not know who her parents were. She married into the prominent Oshkosh Hollister Family that were in the lumber industry. She and her husband Raymond Seymour had two known children: Seymour and John R. She died in Oshkosh on March 14, 1936.
    Scott Cross
    Archivist
    Oshkosh Public Museum

    ReplyDelete