Saturday, April 25, 2015

More Fleming Hixon plus Georgianna & Mrs. Ward & Hector Braden

Yesterday, after I finished posting my research on Fleming Hixon, I got a response to a query I'd sent to the Florida Historical Society regarding a letter in their El Destino Plantation Papers https://myfloridahistory.org/collections/manuscripts/el_destino.  This is why I LOVE doing genealogy & family history research!  The scans of the letter provided additional evidence relating to several individuals I've been researching, including Fleming.

The letter was written by Hector Braden on August 11, 1841 to George Noble Jones.  In it he reports on deaths due to yellow fever:

"I found my brother and family and my nieces at Quincy, thus far on their return home from St. Joseph.  Mrs. Ward and her daughter, Miss Georgianna, died of the yellow fever a few days before my return.  I found my friend, Mr. Hixon, very ill.  He too died a few days after my return.  My brother and niece Elizabeth Dulany had both been ill but both have recovered.  The information you received in the letter of Col. Gamble was, I am happy to say, incorrect.  My brother, his family, Miss Mary Ward and my nieces are now at Southwood and in good health."

"My brother" was Joseph Addison Braden.  Joseph & Hector were early settlers of Florida and Bradenton is named for them. Joseph's family in 1841 consisted of his wife, Virginia (Ward) Braden and their daughter, Annie.  The Mrs. Ward referred to was Virginia's mother, Ann (Hooe) Ward; Georgianna and Mary were Virginia's sisters.  "My nieces" were Elizabeth Ann Dulaney, daughter of Hector's deceased older sister, Mary Eleanor (Braden) Dulaney, and M. Elizabeth "Betty" Hixon, daughter of Fleming Hixon and Hector's deceased sister, Elizabeth Wright (Braden) Hixon.

I will add posts on most of these people eventually.  Getting Hector's letter yesterday was so exciting, I just had to share.

A big thank you to the Florida Historical Society for sharing a copy of Hector's letter with me.


Copyright 2015 Sue Beach.

Feel free to email me directly sdbeach22  at   gmail

No comments:

Post a Comment