Monday, April 27, 2015

Hector Wright Braden, 1798-1846


Hector Wright Braden was born January 2, 1798 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He was the second child and eldest son of Robert Braden and his wife, Elizabeth Stevens.

The first mention I've found of Hector is on June 22, 1810 when at the estate sale of the property of his grandfather, Joseph Braden, 12-year-old Hector purchased "1 rat trap" for 26 cents.

Next, a list of passengers taken on board the schooner "Ardent" of North Yarmouth from St. Andrews lists Hector W. Braden, 24 years, male, merchant, from the ship "Belvidera" of Baltimore from Liverpool to the United States.  It is not clear from this list where Hector was travelling.  This is undated, but since he was 24, it was probably done in 1822.

By November 1825, Hector was headed to Florida.  An article in the Alexandria Gazette (Alexandria, VA) dated Tuesday, November 22, 1825 (page 2) says:  


"An emigration party consisting of Mr. Samuel McClean, Mr. Turbett R. Botton, Mr. Cary Bronaugh, Mr. Hector Braden, and Mr. Wm. A. McRea, left us on Sunday morning, in the schooner Franklin, for the new town of Tallahassee, in East Florida.  The four first named gentlemen are engaged in various mercantile pursuits, and carried with them small experimental assortments;... " 

By July 1826, Hector was buying land in Leon Co., Florida.  He registered several purchases with the Tallahassee Land Office through September 1827.  This land was south of Wadesboro and north of Natural Bridge, just a bit east of Tallahassee. 


On November 14, 1827, his father, Robert Braden, died at his home in Waterford, Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Hector was named as an heir in his father’s will.


He did not waste any time getting involved in the Florida government, business, and politics.  In 1828, Hector was chosen by Session 7 of the Florida Legislative Council "to establish Bank of Florida at Tallahassee, appointed commissioner at Tallahassee."  In 1831, Session 9 of the Florida Legislative Council decreed that Hector was  "to form corporation of St. Marks Navigation Co." and gave him the "right to construct a canal on the natural bridge of the St. Marks River at Rockhaven."


He is found on the 1830 census for Leon Co., Florida, listed as “H.W. Braden.”


According to a history of the Maclay Gardens, "In 1833 Hector Braden, his brother, Joseph and a gentleman named Mr. [William] Nuttall took advantage of the Lafayette Grantlands and bought 2,400 acres.  Hector built a comfortable home and lived on the property. His plantation was called "Chermonie" and he maintained it with approximately 60 working slaves.  Mr. Nuttall, one of the three land owners, died, so Hector and Joseph decided to sell the property.  It was sold to Dr. John Adam Craig in 1839.  Dr. Craig named the plantation Andalusia...."  Our family records, however, indicate that Joseph was not in Florida at this time.  Various newspaper advertisements from November 1833 to January 1834, list the purchasers as William B. Nuttal, Hector W. Braden, and William P. Craig.  Here is one ad from January 14, 1834 published on page 3 of the Alexandria Gazette:



“FLORIDA LAND FOR SALE.  The undersigned, having purchased of General La Fayette the TOWNSHIP OF LAND in Florida, granted to him by the Congress of the United States, offer the same for sale.

     This land is situated in the immediate neighborhood of Tallahassee, and is believed, for fertility of soil and local advantages, to be more valuable than any other land in the territory.

     The southwestern part of the township adjoins the City of Tallahassee, from which point to the shipping port of St. Marks, a distance of about twenty miles, a rail road is in contemplation to be made, in a short time.

     The navigation of the St. Marks River has been recently improved, to a point within six miles of the southeastern part of the township, which will afford navigation for a cheap and certain transportation of produce.

     This lad will be sold in parcels to suit those willing to purchase, on a credit of from five to eight years, at reasonable prices.  Those wishing to purchase will make application to either of the undersigned.

                                                                                                WILLIAM B. NUTTALL,

                                                                                                HECTOR W. BRADEN,

                                                                                                WILLIAM P. CRAIG.

Tallahassee, November 23d, 1833.”



Hector’s land dealings seem to have been many and varied.  I won’t try to sort them all out in this post.  Perhaps I’ll do a post devoted to those in the future.



In March 1833, Hector wrote to his youngest sister, Elizabeth, who was living in Virginia:



"My dear sister,  When I think of  the length of time that has elapsed since I received a letter from you and the ages since I saw you I am almost disposed to fear that your early recollections of me have left such a faint impression upon your mind that you think of me rather as an ideal being than as one whose heart beats with a more holy and tender sensibility.  When alone or in the busy crowd every circumstance and situation recalls you to my imagination.  How happy I should be to see you again.  I have thought for years that every coming summer would find me with you, but when the period arrived I have found it impossible to accomplish my wishes.  This summer I had thought should be the last period to which bounds my intentions  But in early March I know not yet whether I can leave my plantation for 8 or 10 weeks to come.  My fortune depends upon my unremitting attention to a thousand matters that for the next 6 or 8 months can be attended to by none other - after this year I fondly hope I shall have all my affairs so arranged that I will have some time to call my own.  When I come to Virginia I shall expect that you will return to Florida with me.  I know you would be delighted with the sweet climate and the agreeable society.  Besides I intend to be married some of these days - to whom I know not yet.  Can you not choose me some fair damsel in Virginia.  If you will do so I will say no to our ladies here and tell them I will not commit myself with any of them until I see you.  I hope Fleming has given you a flattering account of our country.  If he has not I will challenge him when I come in -  I intend to be as rich as a Jew's eye in 4 or 5 years and make a splash when I visit the north in the summer seasons. Fleming I expect has given you an account of most of our social & my relations here.  I have not heard from Robert since I wrote or since Fleming left me.  I am in hopes he is over in Virginia.  Tell Addison I have just received his letter and am much obliged to him and pleased with the mind & ability it evinces.  I will write to him soon when I learn where a letter would reach him - Why do you not write to me.  If it is tedious to write a long letter write a short one.  Tell me what you read.  What your amusements.  What you see, think, say or do - anything.  Write as carelessly as you please.  It will be like conversing with you, and will add much to my happiness.  I will write to you often & will tell you my avocations, my thoughts, my amusements.  If you do not write often I will scold you tremendously when I see you.   I am going to Mrs. Murat's tomorrow evening to a fancy ball where much amusement is expected from the various costumes in which the company will be dressed - I will describe it to you in my next.  Give my love to Noble.   Your brother  H.W. Braden"



On 28 September 1833, Hector W. Braden wrote a letter to his sister, Elizabeth W. Braden.  It was addressed: "Tuscawilla, F 1st Oct. Miss Elizabeth Braden, Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia." 



"Rosnee (?) September 28th 1833



My dear Sister

It has been so long since I received a letter from you that I sometimes think you have forgotten me or that you are engaged in some laborious study or that your society around you is so agreeable that it banishes all thoughts of those who are absent. I sometimes fear too that it has been so long since I saw you that you have forgotten what sort of a personage I am, what my feelings and disposition and affections. Is it all of these or which or any of them. As to myself I think of you always and would write frequently but that I have ten thousand occupations the attending to which give my mind a continual propensity to wandering over them, none of which would be interesting.  For instance suppose I should write to you of my crops of sugar cane cotton, & acres of Guinea grass &c. however I sometimes snatch a few moments of pleasure of a superior nature from the society of the ladies to compensate for other privations. However after this year I shall have my plantation in beautiful order and shall comparatively be a 'gentleman of elegant leisure' - I shall this year make a crop worth a great deal of money which will make my circumstances flourishing - I positively intend to visit Virginia next spring probably in May- You must come out with me in the fall. Mrs. Nuttall, a most accomplished and amiable lady, the wife of a most excellent friend of mine, and a near neighbour, intends to visit the North next summer. You must return with her if you prefer it- However when I come to Virginia we can arrange that, and if you choose you can take a little trip of a month or so with Mrs. Nuttall in seeing whatever is amusing in the (unreadable word) world in New York and Massachusetts. But mind you must come to Florida- I have a number of acquaintances married ladies within a few miles of my residence, all of whom you would be pleased with and who would be delighted with your company. They all say you must come- You regret in your last letter to me that my situation is so lonely- let me assure you, you are very much mistaken. I have so many occupations on my plantation, together with reading that I am never lonesome besides I have so many neighbors that at anytime in the course of an hour I can be in the midst of them. You see I hare told you my mode of life. Please tell me yours when you can write me- What do you read. , What company have you in Waterford &c. We have very few young ladies here at this time not more than half a dozen that are intelligent and pleasant. But more are expected during the winter- I will write you occasionally, respecting them the amusements society &c-- I intend seriously to scrutinize the ladies in future and seriously to put the main question to some lady some of these times-I think I requested you once to select me some fair lady of your acquaintance but see you have neglected me. I suppose I shall have to do so myself-- I shall write you a great deal some of these times when I have more leisure about many matters pertaining to our country, its manners, inhabitants &c. Tell Addison he is a shabby fellow for not wr(iting? Word obscured) to me sometimes. I hope his health has improved. Our country has been very healthy this year- Indeed I think it the most healthy part of the United States. I have no doubt if you come and remain here you will live to be so old and pretty all the time (I think you must be pretty since they say you are like me) that the very flowers will envy your cheek.

Now if you don't write to me I will scold you not a little when I see you.

                Your brother H"



By 1834, Hector was practicing law in Tallahassee and was one of the principal stock holders in the Union Bank of Tallahassee.  He was also investing in developing his plantation.  Several advertisements seeking to purchase slaves for his plantation appeared in Virginia newspapers during the summer of 1835.  For example, Hector placed the following advertisement in the Leesburg newspaper, Genius of Liberty, on 18 July 1835:


"SLAVES WANTED.  The subscriber wishes to purchase THIRTY or FORTY SLAVES, for the use of his plantation in Florida.  As he designs them for his own special use, (of which any assurance will be given,) he will not purchase any of bad character, and would prefer them in families. --- Liberal prices will be given.  Any communications will reach him, until the first of September, if made to Mr. George B. Beall, of Jefferson; Mr. Fleming Hixon, of Harper's Ferry; or Mr. Noble S. Braden, of Loudoun co.     H.W. Braden.  July 18, 1835. -- 29 6t"


But in 1837, the Union Bank collapsed and Hector’s mortgage was foreclosed upon.  I have not sorted out all the details of this, so perhaps in another post. 



In 1839, Hector was apparently traveling in the north.  His nephew, Robert L. Dulaney, mentions in his memoirs that he met his Uncle Hector in Terre Haute, Indiana, and Hector encouraged him to visit Tallahassee.  In 1840, Robert took him up on his invitation.  Robert wrote of his visit:


"After reaching New Orleans, I... left on a small boat that took me to St. Joseph, Florida, where I found my sister, Lizzie, visiting my Uncle Fleming Hixon, who was banking there.  We remained there about a month and then my sister and I went on to Tallahassee.  We remained in Tallahassee with our Uncle Hector Braden through the summer and then started for Virginia by stage through Charlestown, Richmond, and Washington City.  Here I found my brother Hector clerking in a store.  I remained a few days with him and then went up into Loudoun County.  Stayed sometime with my Uncle Noble Braden and then left for home."


The 1840 census of Leon County, Florida lists only 2 individuals in the household of Hector W. Braden:  one male 30-40 years old which is probably Hector himself, and one white female aged 16-20.  This is probably Hector's niece, Elizabeth Ann Dulaney, who is known to have been living with various family members in Florida after the death of her mother.



On August 11, 1841, Hector wrote a letter postmarked in Tallahassee, and addressed to George Jones, Esq., Newport, Rhode Island.  It reads, in part:



"Clifford   August 11th, 1841



Dear Sir

                I received your fav. of the 22nd July only a few days ago.  On my return from the north I found my brother and family and my nieces at Quincy, thus far on their return home from St. Joseph.  Mrs. Ward and her daughter Miss Georgianna died of the yellow fever a few days before my return.  I found my friend Mr. Hixon very ill.  He too died a few days after my return.  My Brother and niece Elizabeth Dulany had both been ill but both have recovered.  The information you received in the letter of Col. Gamble was I am happy to say incorrect.  My brother, his family, Miss Mary Ward and my nieces are now at Southwood and in good health.  My own health is also good….  Elizabeth Ann requests that you will give her love to Mrs. Jones for the kind expression of her sympathy.  Please present my respects and accept assurances of great regard.     Yrs   H W Braden"



In December 1841, Hector placed the following ad in the Florida Sentinel:


"VALUABLE LANDS FOR SALE. The subscriber, having more lands than are necessary for his own cultivation, will sell either of the plantations which he has had in cultivation the past year. One of them is situated about 3 miles east of Tallahassee, on the Miccosukie road, containing 1,360 acres of first-rate land,  about 650 acres are in cultivation, all of which is fresh land, having been cleared within the last four years. Of the residue, 300 acres are fenced-in, partly cleared, and can be prepared for a crop the coming year with but little labor. There are not 20 acres of thin land upon the entire tract, and it considered as not being surpassed in value by any other plantation of the same size in Middle Florida. Upon this tract there is a dwelling house, an excellent gin-house, and iron screw, negro houses for 50 hands, corn-houses, stables, and all necessary out-buildings.



The other plantation is upon the same road, near Blak [sic] Creek, about 12 miles east of Tallahassee, and contains 1,320 acres. About 800 acres are under fence, 600 of which have been cultivated, and is in fine condition for planting.  Of the residue, about 400 acres are rich hammock and upland, and the remainder pine land, of good quality. Upon this tract there are negro houses, stables, a good gin-house and screw, and all the necessary out-buildings.



These lands are favorably situated for health. Although the country was unusually sickly the past season, and there were 119 persons upon these plantations during the summer and fall, not one death occurred.



The subscriber also offers for sale a tract of land in Hamilton county, about 10 miles west of the Suwannee Springs, and 3 miles north of the Suwannee river, containing 2,080 acres. About 50 acres of this tract are cleared, and in cultivation. These lands, and those in the immediate neighborhood, have been found to be better adapted to the cultivation of Sea Island Cotton than any others in Middle or East Florida.



The subscriber would also sell a tract of land, containing about 300 acres of rich hammock land, lying upon the St.Marks river, about 13 miles south-east from Tallahassee. Upon this tract there is a valuable mill seat, with greater water power than any other in Middle Florida, and where a permanent dam can be constructed, at an expense of less than 500 dollars.



Either of the above described plantations, and the other lands advertised, will be sold, on moderate terms, and reasonable credits; and, if desirable, Union Bank Stock will be sold with the land, for a part of the purchase money.

H. W. BRADEN  - THE FLORIDA SENTINEL, 3 December 1841"



On 12 December 1843, Hector placed an ad in The Florida Sentinel offering to "rent 350 acres of his plantation, three miles east of Tallahassee, which includes the Dwelling, Out-houses, Cotton-house, &c... Also on the premises, and at a Plantation near, 1000 bushels of Corn and 6 or 8000 pounds of fodder for sale.  During my absence apply to Messers Thompson & Haguer."



Hector seems to have been in the Manatee area (then Hillsborough County, now Manatee County) starting sometime in 1843, though he apparently still had business dealings in Leon County.  He filed legal documents in Hillsborough County in December 1843.  In 1845, he voted in the statewide Florida election in Precinct 1, Tampa.  And in October 1845, he and his brother, Joseph A. Braden took out a mortgage on their 1,100 acres along the Manatee River in order to buy sugar refining machinery.



On September 19, 1846, Hector Wright Braden drowned in a flooded stream while traveling home from business in the north of Florida. The incident took place near Hearn's Plantation, Loachoatco, Benton Co.  In a letter to his sister, Mary, Charles Fenton Dulaney (Hector’s nephew), described his death.  (Note: I would like to thank Dr. Deane Briggs of Winter Haven, Florida for providing me with a transcription of the letter.  Dr. Briggs is interested in selling his collection of old Florida letters; contact me if interested in his contact information.)  The letter is dated October 10, 1846 and follows, in part:



"Manatee River, South Florida Oct 10th 1846

My Dear Sister      

With unbounded sorrow I hasten to inform you of the death of our sincerely beloved Uncle Hector….  He was drowned on the 19th of Sept. about 45 miles North of Ft. Brooke.  Ft. Brooke is situated at the Northernmost extremity of Tampa Bay - about 30 miles from the Manatee (where we reside) which emptys into the most southern portion of the Bay -

                He left the Manatee for Ft. Brooke on Tuesday the 15th of Sept. on his Sloop, it being his intention to visit the neighbouring County of Benton for the purpose of purchasing oxen to haul in his cane.  The Sloop arrived at Ft. Brooke the next night (Wednesday) and he left the following morning intending to return the next Sunday-  The Capt. of the Sloop remained until Tuesday night, when the awful news was brought him, that our dear Uncle was drowned.

                My dear Sister I expect you can hardly realize the terrible fact, that our kind, affectionate, and parental Uncle, is no more.  … greatly will we all feel his loss, for truly has he been a parent to us.  I was in hopes in a few years to have seen you and Liz here, contented & happy in the society of our beloved Uncle...

                It seems that he was on his return from Benton County, when about 45 miles from Ft. Brooke, in attempting to cross a pond in the road, he and the mule he was riding were both drowned.  The pond has been very much enlarged by the recent heavy rains - during the dry season there is no water in it.  From the report of the inquest, he had ridden into the pond when finding it too deep attempted to return And the mule being very strong & stubborn, in consequence, the girth (?) gave way and he was precipitated into the water -

                I think his death under such circumstances is strange unless the mule (after he had fell [sic] into the water and having hold on the reins) swam on him, and thus prevented him from swimming ashore, which is the prevalent belief.

                The news reached us on Thursday night the 24th of Sept. but owing the Equivocal (?) gale that set in the next day U [Uncle] Add was prevented from going up to F.B. until the 30th.  When he arrived there finding the Streams so swollen he could not proceed.

                Before arriving a letter had been rc'd at Ft. Brooke for him from a gentleman by the name of Mackey who was acquainted with U Hector, and whom he was going to see at the time of his death.  After opening the letter and in consequence of the reasons abovementioned, he returned to the Manatee-  I had fondly flattered myself before the return of the Sloop and only having heard verbal reports of his death (the persons bringing the news to Ft. Brooke not seeing the body) that there was some mistake.  Alas! the return of the boat on Friday dispelled those fond illusions…. 

                He and myself have been living at the plantation since the Spring and being constantly in each others company, I [feel?] his loss greatly, greatly indeed… .  I will now give you an exact copy of the letter rec'd by U Add from Mr. Mackay



Hearn's Plantation, Loachoatco (?), Tuesday Sep 22nd, '46

"It devolves upon me to be under the painful necessity of transmitting to you the intelligence of the death of your Brother Col. H. W. Braden…  I am stationed with my surveying party at Mr. W. Hearne's plantation, and being absent at the Chiccochattee Settlement I heard that your Brother was gone to Mr. Hearn's to see me And on the following morning was met by Mr. Hearne's boy, who informed me that he was sent for a Coroner, to sit upon the body of a gentleman who was drowned.  All of the most respectable men in the County immediately repaired to the spot to meet the Coroner, from whom 18 were summonsed to make inquiry as to the cause of his death of whom I was one. -  It appeared that he had set out from Capt. W. W. Tucker's plantation on Saturday the 19th day of Sept. between the hours of 2 & 3 oclock.  Capt. Tucker was extremely anxious for him to remain until the next day, thinking that night might possibly overtake him, but he seemed very desirous to get to Mr. Hearn's plantation, a distance of about 10 miles, that night.

                About one mile North of Mr. Hearn's house, the recent heavy rains have filled the road with water forming a pond never known before directly across the road, a distance of about 100 yds. and about 10 ft. deep.  It appeared that he had ridden into the pond, and finding the water too deep, had made an effort to return, from the manner in which the bridle bits were drawn through the mouth of his mule.  The mule being stubborn and the girth giving way, he was thrown and clinging to the bridle both were drowned.

                He was buried near the spot at my suggestion, believing at some future period you would wish to remove his remains.  Every respect was manifested and attention kindly volunteered, attesting to the high regard with which he was personally held by the citizens present.  Mr. Hearn and his good lady have frequently expressed to me their sympathy for your loss." 

I am truly & Sincerely Yours,

George Mackay



… I have written to Hector, Liz, and U Noble, a description of this astounding calamity.  As I do not  know where Pa or Robert is, at this time, I will request Hector to write them as they will get a letter sooner from him than me.  Poor dear Uncle, he was in such fine spirits about his coming crop, and has been indefatigable in his exertions to prepare for it.  My dear Sister you and Liz, have lost one of the best of Friends, and most affectionate of Uncles, his hand was ever open to the widow and the fatherless, and his ear drank in the tales of woe and affliction…  I think I shall leave the Country, as there is but little inducement for me to stay since my dearly beloved uncle is gone.  If I was sure I could get a situation with Hector I would leave forthwith.… Your Sincerely Attached Brother Charles



From Charles Dulaney’s letter, it appears that Hector was buried in an unmarked grave near the site of his death in Benton Co., Florida. 



Hector’s brother and business partner, Joseph A. Braden, was named administrator of Hector’s estate.



On October 24, 1846, the a death notice was published in the Alexandria Gazette (page 3): 


“Col. Hector W. Braden, a prominent citizen of Hillsborough county, Florida, was drowned on the night of Sunday, the 4th while attempting to cross a stream.  The sum of $148 was found on his person, which confirmed the presumption that his death was accidental.  Col. Braden was a native of Loudoun County, Va., and formerly a citizen of this place.”    
  
Copyright 2015 Sue Beach.

Feel free to email me directly sdbeach22  at   gmail

No comments:

Post a Comment