Friday, March 3, 2017

Letter: Frankie Cook to Minnie Stilwell, Nov. 5, 1873

When I came across this letter from Frankie Cook to Minnie, I did a bit of research about Frankie.

Frances Augusta Cook was born 30 December 1859 in Fond du Lac Co., Wisconsin.  Her parents were William B. Cook and Elizabeth Jane (Munn) Cook.  Jane was the sister of Frank R. Munn who married Minnie's sister, Blanche. 

Frankie was 13 years old when she wrote this letter to Minnie; Minnie was 12.  Even though Frankie addresses Minnie as her "sister," they appear to have been neighbors and school friends, not relatives, except that Minnie's sister, Blanche, was Frankie's aunt by marriage.

Frankie's family moved from Fond du Lac Co. to Cottonwood Co., Minnesota about 1873.

***************



Letter addressed to: Miss Minnie Stilwell, Metomen, Fond du Lac Co., Wis.
Postmark unreadable

                                                                                                Bingham Lake, Nov: 5, 1873

Dear Sister Minnie
                                I received your kind letter last Saturday night and was very glad to hear from you.   We are all well at present and hope to find you the same.  Our school has not commenced yet.  But it is a going to commence the 17 of this month.  They have got a new school house it is nearly as large as the Brick one at Ripon    they are a going to have two departments this winter the teachers are a Mr. Prentise and a miss Nellie J[?].  I know her she is awful good   I say just as allie does that she is just like miss shoemaker.    We are a going to live not quite a half of a mile from the school house and I guess it is about a good sized half mile from windom.   Oh how I wish I was there to go to school wouldent [sic] we have ____ and how I wish I was there to go to Sabbath school    I would give almost anything.    Who is your teacher and who do you sit with at school.  I have not been to school yet and so I do not know what I am a going to study   be you a going to study algabra [sic] this winter.  I hear that you have a singing school out there  do you go and do you sing awful loud.  I received a letter from your father last night and som Sabbath school papers I was awful glad, but it took me a good while to read it  mother read it out loud but I couldent [sic] read it till morning  I almost slep [sic] with it you may tell him I will answer it in a little while.  I have wrote to M.atie J.ennie C.ora Ophelia and Maud. And have got a letter from Matie and two from Jennie and from you that’s all.  I think your new dress is real pretty   Mattie wrote in her letter that you and her has some new water proofs and by what she said they are just like mine and lined with blue  I will send you a little piece when I can find a little piece   Mother had it cut out there and it was all packed up and so when I get to it I will send you a piece.  I have got a new apron I will send you a piece of that.  Oh how I wish I was stayig with you all night and we was sitting on the top of your stairway and hearing Hannah and Eva Warren and albert Marterson [?] singing in the sweet by and by and looking at the stars   warent [sic] they lots of them that night.   We have had a little snow but it is all of now we are having very pleasant weather here now  I hope we wont have any such storms as they had last winger.  Eva says for you to write her first she will answer it for she has so many letters to write she don’t have time but she will answer it if you will write first

Mother and father sends there gretest [sic] respects to all and especially to grandma and is very thankful to be remembered   I cant write much more now you must excuse my poor writing and Mistakes and lead pencil and all.  Give my Greatest [circled] respects to warren and that I am thankful to be remembered also.  Hem. Hem.  Give my love to all and kiss Grandpa and have Edith kiss you for me  Good by now I want you to write me a good long letter and tell all of the news be sure and write
From you loving sister Frankie
                To Minnie
                                Direct at
                                                Windom
                                                                Cottonwood Co
                                                                                                Minnesota 






No comments:

Post a Comment