Friday, March 10, 2017

Letter: Clarence Bent to Minnie Stilwell, January 1876


The following letter from Edward Clarence Bent to Mary Elva ("Minnie") Stilwell was written from Cheyenne, Wyoming in January 1876.  Clarence Bent would marry Minnie's older sister, Hannah, in 1878.  Clarence was 23; Minnie was 14.

Edward Clarence Bent ca 1900
I have no pictures of Clarence as a young man, so the above will have to suffice.

Here is an outline of the Stilwell family.
Here is a list of  links to the Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones papers I've posted.

Mentioned:
Edie = Edith Stilwell, Minnie's younger sister
Hannah = Minnie's sister; Clarence's future wife
your Mother = Mary K. (White) Stilwell
your Father = Lonson Stilwell
Fannie = unknown
Mrs. Addams = unknown
Belle = Belle Osborn, daughter of Annette (Stilwell) & Charles Osborn; Minnie's niece
Nettie = Annette (Stilwell) Osborn; Minnie's sister
Blanche = Celia Blanche (Stilwell) Munn; Minnie's sister
Warren = Warren Stilwell, Minnie's brother
Uncle Hiram = Hiram E. Stilwell, brother of Lonson; Minnie's uncle

*********************
Letter addressed to:
Miss Minnie  Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin     Box 263

Postmarked:
Jan. 29 Cheyenne Wyoming

                Cheyenne, Wyoming, Jan’y 20th ‘76

Dear Minnie:
                Here I come at last to spend a pleasant hour with you in answering your most welcome letter rec’d about three weeks ago.  I have just been enjoying it again.  Edie’s came too but I will not reply to it tonight as I have but limited time in which to write.  It is now 9 oclock: one hour to closing time so I must hurry & therefore you will overlook all errors.  First let me inquire after all the friends at your dear hone, all well, I trust?  Are you having real cold winter weather now? Today has been the coldest of the season with us, but during the months of Nov. & Dec, & up to a week ago, we have been favored with beautiful mild weather.  I see by papers that you, in Wis., have been favored, too.
Now, let us return to the merry holidays.  Christmas passed pleasantly and “Old Santa” dealt very generously with me, as you shall see presently.  The several churches all had entertainments for the Sunday School children.  Our school had what we termed a “Christmas temple.”  It was built square, with a large center arch & then a smaller one on each side.  This was the front view.  The sides were straight & plain and the back open, all except the largest arch was covered with evergreens, &  the gifts hung all over it.  It was brightly illuminated with red, white, & blue candles & presented a very handsome appearance.  A brief space of time was devoted to school exercises before the presentation of the tokens, such as singing & speaking.  Each scholar rec’d a present from the school.  Then there were many other gifts from parents to children & from friends to friends.  The Presbyterian denomination had a similar entertainment, but had a ship to hold the presents.  The M.E. & Episcopal had trees.  All the gatherings passed off pleasantly.  I was invited out to dine on Christmas day at my former boarding house, and had a pleasant time. -------------------

24th. – I was interrupted last Thursday Evening and have not found time to resume until now, & will endeavor to finish tonight.  This has been a beautiful mild pleasant day, but I have been as “busy as a bee.”  Well let us return to the Christmas time.  My presents were numerous & nice.  I presume Hannah has written home what she sent me.  The Motto from her is very handsome.  I had it nicely framed in Walnut & it adds greatly to the appearance of my room hanging directly over my bed, & just beneath it is another neat & pretty ornament, a Christmas token too, from a very dear little friend residing in Wisconsin, & who once upon a time  was made merry by the misfortune of Clarence endeavoring to test the durability of a “barn-doorsill.”  Don’t you think her very naughty?  I do, and would like to see her this very minute & give her a good kiss & “thank you” for the pretty shaving ornament.  I many have an opportunity some time.  I prize it highly!

Your mother’s picture is a perfect likeness, I think, and I was much pleased to get it.  It, too, ornaments my room in a pretty gilt oval frame placed in the center of a group of many of my dear friends & among them I notice Minnie’s bright countenance.  Give your mother a good kiss & a “thank you” for me.  She was very kind (as she always is) not to forget this lone boy.  I am glad the lady at the gallery “let the cat out.”  I rec’d also a nice pair of slippers from little Fannie, which I find very comfortable & a book of poems from Mrs. Addams – all my presents were nice & don’t you think I rec’d my share?

Too bad the weather should have interfered with your family gathering.  My thoughts were with you many times upon that day & I guess Hannah wished she was too, poor girl, she often finds herself longing for the dear old home.  Oh Minnie, how I want to see her, more dear to me now than ever before.  I hear from her occasionally.  Well, how is that sweet little Belle?  Runs all around Hannah says.  Nettie I presume thinks I have forgotten her, but my time is so fully occupied, & she must forgive my delay.  Oh, there is one present that I forgot to mention, “Two nice ginger cookies from Blanche.

I am glad you have a good teacher at school.  No, I hardly think I would like her quite as well as the one who taught last year.  Your father’s good letter remains unanswered but tell him I will endeavor to write soon.  He must not scold because I wrote you first.  How is Warren, and the colt?  Trust he is well this winter.  We have been having union meetings since the week of prayer.  I attend as often as I can & enjoy them.  I find much more happiness & satisfaction in the new life I am leading, as best I can.  You must continue to pray for me that I may gain strength.  Hannah & I are reading together tonight.  We read the 7th chap. Joshua.  Tis late now and I must prepare for bed.  Hope you will not delay but write as soon as you can conveniently.  Much love to all and with a kiss I bid you good night.
                                                                Truly, Clarence

Read these precious words.
Isaiah 41-10 & 13 –
12 Chap Romans, How good!
Psalms 86-11.
41  34-5.  Heb 10-22 & 23.
Theisalnious 4. 18 –

Excuse haste.
Remember me to your Uncle Hiram’s people.

A kiss for my croquet Edie -










No comments:

Post a Comment