Saturday, March 11, 2017

Letter: E. C. Bent in Deadwood to Minnie Stilwell, May 1877

I have another letter to post from Edward Clarence (E.C.) Bent.  Here is a link to the first one. 

Clarence (as the family knew him) was a druggist.  He owned a drug store in early Deadwood, Dakota Territory.  His partner, was Julius Deetken, and the store was known as "Bent & Deetken."  They were partners for about 12 years.  Eventually, Deetken bought Clarence out and continued to operate in Deadwood.  Clarence and his family moved to Dell Rapids.

According to a report he gave in September 1919, Clarence arrived in Deadwood on 20 June 1876.  His description of life in the town in those early days can be found in that report.  His bride, Hannah Stilwell, did not join him until after their marriage in 1878.

Bent & Deetken's store burnt down in the fire that swept Deadwood in September 1879.  They rebuilt.

Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North and South Dakota in 1889.

I've always found these "Deadwood" letters fascinating.


Here is an outline of the Stilwell family.
Here is a list of  links to the Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones papers I've posted.

****************







Letter addressed to:
Miss Minnie  Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin     Box 263

No postmark or return address on envelope


Deadwood D.T.     May 5th, 1877

Dear Minnie,
                How can I resist your plea of “Please do write, Clarence,” which came in dear Hannah’s letter yesterday.  I have come away by me self this gloomy Saturday afternoon & will enjoy a chat with you.  You must excuse my delay in writing.  I’ve been obliged to pen short letters to dear Hannah having had so much to do moving into a new store &c.  I owe Blanch & Edie each a letter & hope to have opportunity to write them soon.  They must take some of your letter for themselves.  Clad loves all the dear ones at your home & if possible would like to send a message every day.  I was sorry to hear that you were unwell in Han’s letter.  Trust you are all well now.  I have not been feeling well for the past two weeks.  I attribute it to the unsettled condition of the weather – one day pleasant, then rain & snow.  Our little city is growing very rapidly.  Town full of strangers.  Some that are very much disappointed; the hardships they are obliged to endure discourage them sometimes.  They come to this new country with ideas too exalted and expect to find gold in abundance & obtain it by the mere exertion of picking it up from the ground.  It shows the material of which a man is composed. Many will succeed while a large majority will fail utterly.  If I would, I might often get discouraged, but it will not do.  I feel that I have much to be thankful for.  I have been prospered & spared, & I do feel truly grateful to God our heavenly benefactor for all that he has done for me.  Our little church is prospering.  Nice S. S.  Expect to have a new cozy church soon.  Minnie, in your prayers you must always remember me in my weakness.  Pray for our church & s.s.  The dear little ones, do not forget us in your humble petitions.  Today is Sat’y.  How I wish I might spend the coming morrow with you.  Oh! What joy & pleasure to me.  I have, as you might say, been deprived of nearly all the comforts of living for nearly a year, and don’t you think I could appreciate them now?  Wonder if I won’t spend the Sabbath in Metomen just one year from tomorrow.  You just make a minute of it & see.  How much I want to see you ALL.  – Darling Hannah!  Seems as if I could hardly wait still another 12 months.  You must enjoy her all you can from this time till May ’78 for Clad will not merely take her to Cairo next time, only to be absent a few months, but instead to Deadwood to remain, may-be as many years.  I can scarcely believe it when I think how long & patiently we have waited for each other.  Still she is a Kind nuisance any way, don’t you think so?  Don’t see how you possibly could have endured school the past winter.  Presume your father & Warren are very busy these days.  Hope the season will prove a good one for all farmers, they have to work so hard.  Does your S.S. open favorably this spring?  Wish I could meet with you occasionally.  Poor little Frankie H. is no more.  Very sad isn’t it?  But he is far more happier than we.  & What a feeling of joy to know that we can if we will see him again “in the sweet by & by.”
                I must bid you good bye, dear Minnie for this time.  I want to see you badly.  How well I remember the good by kiss you gave me the morning we started for Cairo.  Do you?  Guess not.  Much love to all.  Many kisses.  Lovingly,
                                Bro Clad Bent



No comments:

Post a Comment