Friday, March 3, 2017

Letter: Frankie Cook to Minnie Stilwell, Sept. 18, 1874

By September 1874, Frankie Cook (Frances Augusta Cook) was living with her family in Windom, Cottonwood Co., Minnesota.  When she wrote this letter to Minnie (Mary Elva) Stilwell, she was 14 years old.

Mentioned in this letter are:

Frankie's parents: William B. and Jane E. (Munn) Cook

Frankie & Minnie's friends: Matie, Phebe & Cora

Eva: Frankie's sister

Uncle Frank and Aunt Blanche: Frank R. Munn (Frankie's paternal uncle) and his wife, Blanche (Stilwell) Munn (Minnie's sister)

Charly and Net Osborn: Charles H. Osborn and Annette (Stilwell) Osborn, Minnie's sister and brother-in-law

Grandma White:  Betsey (Dennis) White, Minnie's maternal grandmother who died in
April 1875

Eddith: Minnie's younger sister, Edith Stilwell

Mr. Stilwell: probably Minnie's father, Lonson Stilwell, though it is not certain

******************



Letter addressed to:
Miss Minnie Stilwell.  Metomen.  Fond Du Lac Co.  Wisconsin.
Postmark:  Windom MN Sep 21

                                                September 18th 1874
Dear Friend Minnie
                I now sit down to answer your kind welcome letter of long ago.  I have neglected writing this a long long while, because there has been no news.  I have no excuse only I had nothing to write it has been grasshoppers all summer long and I had got tired of that.  And so I have been waiting until now and I have nothing more to write now than I did before.    but as I feel like it I will try and write a few lines to see how you all get along.  I have looked and looked a long while for a letter from Mr. Stilwell, but have looke in vain.   Tell him he owes me a letter and I would be very glad to hear from him.  I have wrote to all of the girls except Matie & Phebe & Cora last. I have not wrote to Matie in a long long while and now I almost ashamed to write to her.  Poor girl how sorry I feel for her does she go to Sabbath School and every day school our school has let out now and I do not know when it will commence again.  I did not go but a half a term this summer because I was sick and Mother would not let me go.  I am better now and I shall go this Winter.  Father was quite sick the other day and he said he was a good notion to start for Wisconsin the next day.  I guess he was a little homesick he is better now.    Did you go to the fair oh how I would like to go but I cant and there is no use of thinking anything about it.  It is getting real cold hear [sic] and acts like Winter.  I dread the Winter every body here says that we are a going to have an awful hard Winter this Winter but no one knows till Winter comes.  Oh Minnie I know you want to know how our wheat & oats turned out this summer.  Well this is Grasshoppers country we or Pa I had nothing to do with it.  Pa off from 240 acres of land had 7 ½ bushels of wheat no oats.  We had a few potatoes how is that for a Grasshoppers country.  There it is again I said when I commenced I wouldn’t mention Grasshoppers once but I guessed I mused [sic] have changed my mind by the looks and reading.  Our folks have all gone to bed except Eva & Myself.  We live up town now we moved about 7 or 8 weeks ago we live upstairs we have one large room and two bedrooms   it is not very easy running up and down stairs all of the while    where is Uncle Frank & Aunt Blanch now and Charly & Net Osborn.   Oh how is Grandma White I would like to see her.  And Eddith [sic].  Oh Minnie you cant imagining [sic] how I would like to see you all.   There is a Artist coming here in two or three week and I am a going to have my picture taken and if Mr. Stilwell will write to me once more I will send him one.   I wrote to Jennie a long time ago and she has not answered it yet.  Cora have you seen her lately oh how I would like to see her black eyes snap I tell you Minnie if I cant think of any thing to write if I could get with you just for one day I am afraid there wouldent [sic] be much time lost with our toungues [sic] especially I am thinking it will be hard work to read this I have scribbled so, bu you must excuse me this time I have not had anything knew [sic] this summer, have you    write and tell me all about it.  I received a letter from Grandma
Well I have wrote a few lines I think and I guess I had better stop if you can read this I will be supprised [sic] for it is all that I can do to make it out.  Now I want you to excuse poor writing mistakes, bad spelling.  I am ashamed to send it it looks so
Now Minnie I want you to write me a good long letter and tell me all of the new and all about the girls.  Well I must close now write soon goodby give my love to all and Kiss Grandma White for me good by write soon                               Frankie to Minnie









No comments:

Post a Comment