Monday, March 27, 2017

Letter from Frankie Cook to Minnie Stilwell, August 1877


Here is an outline of the Stilwell family.
Here is a list of  links to the Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones papers I've posted. 

This letter is from Minnie's friend, Frankie Cook.  Frankie was the niece of Frank Munn, who was married to Minnie's sister, Blanche.  Frankie was 17 when she wrote this letter.  Interesting to think of a 17-year-old teaching school and that she couldn't go home every Friday because her school was twelve miles from home and that was too far!

While the postmark is cut off on the envelope, Frankie lived in Windom, Cottonwood Co., Minnesota, so that is probably where the letter came from.

Mentioned in the letter:
Uncle Frank = Frank R. Munn, Frankie's uncle and Minnie's brother-in-law
Mother = Elizabeth (Munn) Cook, Frankie's mother and Frank Munn's sister
Mr. Stilwell = probably Lonson Stilwell, Minnie's father


Cora, Jennie, Mattie = all school friends of Frankie & Minnie, I believe
Warren = Warren Stilwell, Minnie's brother




                                August 12th 1877
My Dear Schoolmate Minnie
                As Uncle Frank has been writing to you, I will try and scribble a few lines to let you know I am still alive.  I have been teaching School this summer  my school was out Friday.  I like teaching ever so much.  The only fault I found with it I had to be so far from home for if I couldn’t get home every Friday night I would get awful home sick and lonesome.  I was twelve miles from home, otherwise I like it ever so much.  I have been to Sunday School to day.  Mother & Uncle Frank are singing some Sabbath school songs.  Uncle Frank gets very homesick & lonesome sometimes.  He says that him & I are coming back there next fall or a year from next fall.  I really hope we will.  Oh how I would like to come back there.  I think there is no place like Ripon.  I went on a Sabbath School picnic yesterday had a very nice time.  I am thinking this will not be a very interesting letter for I have not written a letter in so long that I cannot think of any thing to write at all.  I have said I don’t know how many times that I would write a letter to Mr. Stilwell but I would put it off and then forget it, but you can tell him that I am a going to write him a great long letter although I have neglected it so long I am most ashamed to write now.  How does Cora get along.  I owe Mattie a letter  I must answer it.  Have you seen Jennie lately  I would like to see all of the girls ever so much.  Tell Cora to write to me.  Do you go to school this summer.  My teeth ache so to day I can hardly stand it  I have had the head ache ever since school let out.  I feel a little better to day.  I guess I will have to draw this to a close as I can’t think of any more to write at present.  Now Minnie you must write me a long letter.  I will try and not be so neglectful in the future.  Give my best respects to all the girls and also to your folks.    Good bye.  Write soon.
                Your loving friend as ever
                                Frankie A. Cook
P.S. Tell Mr. Stilwell to write to me.  Mother & Father sends love to all and of course give my best wishes to Warren.  Frankie 

No comments:

Post a Comment