Monday, September 21, 2015

Deborah (Young) Jenners 1773 - 1842



Deborah Young was born 15 April 1773 near Bladensburg, Prince George’s Co., Maryland.  Her parents were William Young and Ruth Ann Jackson.  I have found no middle name for her; it is possible that her middle name was Holbrook, but this is a conjecture on my part.

One of the stories handed down with other family documents states that Deborah was a niece of Notley Young, owner of much of the land that became Washington, D.C.  I need to do more research on the Young line to determine if this is true.

On 17 May 1796, she and Abiel Jenners obtained a marriage license in Upper Marlborough, Prince George’s Co., Maryland.   They were married that same day, possibly in Washington City (now Washington, D.C.)  An unsourced family record states, "One daughter, Deborah, married Abiel Jenners and they were my grandparents...."   At present, the best marriage date seems to be 17 May 1796, though there are a number of conflicting sources.  The "Washington Gazette" for 11-15 June 1796 says, "Married... May 17, Mr. Abial Jenners, to Miss Deborah Young."

Abiel Jenners was born in Concord, Massachusetts on 5 January 1774, the son of David Jenners and his wife, Sarah Buttrick.  I will do a separate post on Abiel.

Their first child was born 25 April 1797 in Washington City.  This was a son they named either Henry Martin or Martin Holbrook or some combination of those names.  The correct name has not been determined.  See my blog about Martin for more information.

Their next child was another son, William Morduit Jenners, born 9 November 1798 in Washington City. 

A daughter, Sarah, was born 3 June 1800.  Sarah died on 27 June 1801; she was just one year old.  Her burial has not been found.

About January 1802, Abiel and Deborah moved with their young sons to “Concord Farm” near Broad Run (creek?) in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Their next son, David Jenners, was born 23 July 1802, near Broad Run, Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Another daughter, again named Sarah, was born 16 March 1804, near Broad Run, Loudoun Co., Virginia.  This Sarah had a middle initial of “Y.”  I suspect this stood for her mother’s maiden name, “Young,” but I have not found any document to prove this.

In 1805 Abiel bought land near Paolian Springs, Loudoun Co.  This is probably “Hamilton Farm” located north of Paolian Springs. 

On 19 February 1807, Deborah gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl.  The boy died and was never named.  The girl lived and was named MaryDulin Jenners.  This was at Hamilton Farm.

On 26 June 1809, Deborah gave birth to twin sons; one twin died and was never named.  The other twin lived and was named Saurin Jenners.  I have not found any source for this unusual name.

On 15 January 1811, son Alba Jenners was born at Hamilton Farm in Loudoun Co.  And on 18 April 1813, Deborah gave birth to her last child, Ann Jenners, called “Nancy” by the family.  Deborah was 40 years old.

In 1822, the family moved to a house built by Abiel on “William Wright’s farm” in Loudoun. 

On 13 April 1824, daughter, Sarah, married Dr. Jonathan N. Bradfield, at her father’s home in Loudoun Co.  The marriage notice read, "Married by Rev. Mr. Burch: Dr. Jonathon N. Bradfield to Miss Sarah Jenners, daughter of Abiel Jenners, Esq. all of this county."  Jonathan was a Quaker and was disowned by the meeting for marrying “out of unity.”

On 26 September 1824, Deborah’s husband, Abiel, died.  Deborah was 51 years old with nine living children (eight unmarried); the youngest, Nancy, was only 11 years old.

On 10 June 1825, Deborah and the executor of Abiel’s estate, John Braden, sold the Wright Farm (103 acres) to Samuel Harris and his wife, Ann, for $10,000.  Deborah seems to have moved to Waterford, Loudoun Co., Virginia after Abiel’s death.  Her son, Martin, wrote several letters addressed to her in Waterford in March, April, July and October 1826. 

Over the course of the next few years, Deborah received a number of small payments from John Braden, executor of Abiel’s estate.  These payments ranged from $5 to $901.43. 

In the fall of 1828, Deborah and most of her children left Loudoun Co. and traveled as far as Dayton, Ohio.  They spent the winter in Dayton.  In the spring of 1829, they left Dayton and traveled to Lafayette, Indiana.  By July 1829, the family was living in Lafayette.   

Deborah is found there as the head of the household on the 1830 Census.  Also listed were these individuals: 1 male age 10-15 [born 1815-1820; Alba?], 1 male age 15-20 [born 1810-1815; Saurin?], 1 male age 30-40 [born 1790-1800 Martin, William or David], 1 male age 50-60 black [born 1770-1780; this may be the “Old Moses” mentioned in Nancy’s letters], 1 female age 15-20 [born 1810-1815; Ann], 1 female age 70-80? [born 1750-1760; Deborah?] & a "free colored female aged 25-36 years" [born 1794-1805; I have not discovered who this might be, however there was a woman, Hannah, listed on Abiel’s estate inventory in 1824].

Letters from Deborah’s daughter, Nancy, are our main source of information on the family during these early days.  It is clear, however, that Deborah was often ill with such things as “the chills.”  Nancy writes of Lafayette being a fairly sickly place.

It seems that Deborah mostly lived with her children at this time.  She was sometimes with her son, David, in Lafayette, and other times visiting her daughter, Mary, and Mary’s husband, Burr Braden, in Clinton Co., Indiana.  In September 1831, for example, she went to stay with Mary and Burr and was planning on being there all winter.

On 28 September 1831, John Braden, Executor of the will of Abiel Jenners, was taken to court by Abiel's widow, Deborah Jenners, and her five youngest children (Sarah Jenners Bradfield, Mary D. Jenners Braden, Nancy Jenners, Alba Jenners and Saurin Jenners) and their spouses (Jonathan Bradfield and Burr Braden) in an attempt to get John to give her the $1500-$2000 left in Abiel's estate after his debts had been paid.  Deborah wanted the money to "invest" in Indiana where it would be more convenient for her to draw her interest.  John did not want to release the money unless he had a bond that ensured she would refund it to him should more debts surface from Abiel's estate.  Abiel's will specified that Deborah be given an allowance for life and then the surplus of his estate was to be divided between his five youngest children after her death.  There is not enough information in the papers copied to determine the outcome of case, but I suspect that Deborah lost. 

On 28 January 1832, Abiel’s sister, Mary (Jenners) Winn, wrote the following letter to her sister-in-law, Deborah:  

"Concord  January 28, 1832
My Dear Sister,     Your daughter's affectionate letter was handed to me about 3 weeks since, which was written to my daughter Adeline, who is now in the cold & silent grave.  My afflictions have been so great the past summer that I hardly feel myself able to address you, still I hope that you will excuse all errors & mistakes.  Last April Adeline was married to Franklin Farmer of Lowell.  My son Joseph was taken very ill with a severe fever in June, we despaired of his life for several weeks, but soon he began to recover his health, & I felt very thankful that he was spared to his parents a little longer.  In the course of his sickness Adeline & Abigail came over from Lowell & spent a week with him.  Abigail left our house of a Monday morning, and in a fortnight from that day which was the 7th August, she was brought from Lowell a lifeless corpse, & the 11 of August my dear Adeline was brought home a corpse.  I was with both of them when they died.  Adeline was sick 3 weeks, but Abigail lived little over a week.  Oh! my dear sister, permit me to call you by that endearing name, can you imagine my feelings?  I trust that you could have sympathized with me, you having been repeatedly called to like afflictions.  It does not seem possible to me that my dear Daughters can be numbered with the dead, they were cut off in the [unreadable] of their days, from the full enjoyment of health & prosperity, but a few short days, laid them in the cold & silent grave.  My mother is gone to the world of spirits, she expired the 20 of November.  She had lived to a good old age & her senses were very much impaired, but if she had been spared a little longer she might have been a comfort to her children.  Death moves near us in the deaths of our friends & relatives, & warns us to be also ready; And my sister should we consider ourselves immortal, when we see so many of our friends fall victims to this fell destroyer.  How often are my dear daughters, presented to my imagination, as the appeared when in health, now no more, even now I cannot realize that they are gone forever; How awfully solemn is death, what a change then takes place, when the spirit takes its departure, & the body sleeps a lifeless corpse:  how mysterious, how common, & how little thought of; I am astonished at my own want of thought & reflection on that day which will decide the fate of the immortal soul, it will then be fixed in a state of endless happiness, or appear before an angry judge & be banished from his presence forever.  Oh! I hope my daughters were prepared to meet death, & are happier than to be in this world of trouble.  Adeline appeared perfectly willing to die & rose up in bed a few hours before she expired and [said?] a prayer.  Abigail died without any sense of her situation. Although I have never had the pleasure of seeing you, still I feel myself considerably acquainted with you, you being united to my brother, whom I tenderly loved.  It would have given me a great deal of pleasure, if my brother & you had made us a visit before his death, & if it should ever be in your power, or your children to visit us, you may depend upon a very welcome reception.  It is not very probably we shall ever meet in this world, but we hope to meet in heaven.  We must take the bible [sic] for our guide, & lay aside those prejudices which [unreadable] in our world & seek for the one thing needful, "this pearl of great price," which is promised to those who diligently seek for it.  My husband & family join in love with me to you & your family.  Accept my friend my warmest wishes for your health and happiness; a letter from you will be received with emotions of grateful & sincere affection from you affectionate far distant sister.
for Mrs. Deborah Jenners                                                     Mary Winn"

(On a side note, this is a particularly valuable letter to my research, since it gives the death date of Mary & Abiel’s mother, Sarah Buttrick Jenners Blood, as November 20, 1831.  It also gives me information on Mary Winn’s family to help further my Jenners research in the Concord area.)

Deborah Jenners was summoned to court in Loudoun Co., Virginia on 13 February 1832 in a suit over a debt (along with John Braden and Henry M. Jenners).  She apparently did not pay a $40 debt before the family left Virginia.  She did not, of course, appear in court in Loudoun since she had long since moved to Indiana.  And according to the accounting filed in court, John Braden, executor of Abiel Jenners' estate, paid out cash per Deborah's orders totaling over $700.

In June 1832, Deborah was staying "out there" at Burr and Mary Braden's home.  She was in good health.  In April 1833, Deborah and her daughter, Mary, and grandson, Hector, traveled from the Braden’s farm in Clinton Co. to Lafayette to visit family for a few days.  In November 1833, Deborah was again with the Bradens in Clinton Co. and on 1 August 1834, Nancy wrote, "Our dear Mother's health is very feeble.  I greatly fear she will not long be with us.  This is to me a dreadful thought for a Mother is certainly dearer to a Daughter than any other Person on earth."  But on 30 August 1834, Addison Braden (Burr’s brother) wrote, "Mrs. Jenners is here [at Burr & Mary's] and quite well....  Mrs. Jenners wishes me to write you to tell Uncle John Braden that if Robert might come out here this fall to send her money by him."

In August of 1836 or 1837, Deborah wrote a letter to her daughter, Mary, in Jefferson, Indiana.  She is not well and she seems to be living with her daughter, Nancy, and Nancy's husband, Peter Jennings.  Deborah's grandson, Hector, (Mary's son) is staying with them. The letter follows: 

"August 3 (1836? or 1837?)
Dr child   I am better every other day  this is my best day or I could not write one line  I dont think I am any better  very week [sic]  the rest are all well except peter  he complains very much  I believe there is many people sick   Hector is very contented and of great use to us   says 3 and 4 lessons daily   said he would rather be here than home   I dont let him go any where but Peters and Davids  Have you got your things from Mrs mac Crede  tell Mrs wat[t?] I wrote her a long letter by Maria and it came back in her clothes   I dont remember how much money she gave me  When you see her ask and let me know   the pain has returned now and I have to stop   Peter has an account against the house rent for the plastering which will be an ofset [sic] against the account Bur [sic] made out   I paid my store account with the money Bur [sic] gave me and he never presented that Mor--s [?] child on the same  the vinegar all wasted  write soon and let me know how you all come on and if caty [sic] is with you   save those cranes quils [sic]  tell Thomas if he will save me a wing I will pay him for it   Sarah has not seen doctor Demming   he is out in the country half his time   I want to see you all and will come if I am ever able   wish you all well      remain your loving mothe[r]   D. Jenners

I want you to take care of my red buccet [sic] and put water in it   it would be of great use  A[nn] bids me tell you she is coming when her quilt is out and it is not put in yet." 

In October 1841, Deborah was apparently staying at Mary & Burr Braden's near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  "David says whenever Ma wants to come he will go after her.... David will go for Ma so soon as she is ready to come in." per Sarah Bradfield; Sarah sent a comb to her mother. 

On 14 May 1842, Deborah (Young) Jenners died in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Indiana.  She was 69 years old.  I suspect she was staying with her daughter, Nancy, and Nancy’s husband, Peter Jennings, at the time of her death.  This is because Peter turned in receipts to Deborah’s estate for her medical care and for her coffin.  Deborah was buried in Greenbush Cemetery in Lafayette.    

No comments:

Post a Comment