Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Sorting through Peter Jennings' Three Wives

I have been busy with other things these past few days and have not had time to do an extended post. 

I have been looking at the family of Peter S. Jennings and trying to sort out his three wives.  First wife, Ann "Nancy" Jenners is pretty clear.  Second wife, Jane P. Brooke presents some puzzles.  And third wife, Sarah Comstock needs more data, too.

I'm wondering if Jane's "P" stands for "Potter?"  On the 1850 census there were three Potters living with Peter and Jane: Mary, Pauline (? very hard to make out her name) and Nathaniel.  I'm still trying to figure out who they are - Jane's siblings?  Jane's children by an earlier marriage?  Is Brooke her married name or maiden name?

Sarah apparently went home to her parents after Peter died and was there with two of his children by Jane on the 1860 census.  But she came back to Indiana because she is buried in the family plot in Spring Vale Cemetery in Lafayette. 

Still a lot to sort out about this extended family group.  I will post about them all once I either sort it out or give up.

My posts may be a bit sparse and sporadic for a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment