Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Mary Dulin (Jenners) Braden, 1807-1863

Probably Mary Dulin (Jenners) Braden, but not confirmed

Mary Dulin Jenners was born on 19 February 1807 at "Hamilton Farm," Loudoun Co., Virginia. Her parents were Abiel Jenners and Deborah (Young) Jenners. She had a twin brother who died near birth and was never named. A family narrative by her older brother, David, states, "1807 Mary Jenners born Feb. 19th, a son born at the same birth who was never named." Mary Dulin Jenners was probably named for Mary Young, her mother's sister, who married John Dulin.

Mary grew up and lived until her marriage with her parents, Abiel and Deborah Jenners, in the Waterford area of Loudoun Co., Virginia. 


Her father, Abiel, died on 26 September 1824, in Loudoun Co., Virginia. She was 17.

Mary was mentioned in a letter from her brother, Martin Jenners, to their mother, Deborah, written 9 March 1826. She was also mentioned in letter from Martin to their mother dated 27 July 1826. Martin wrote, "Mary writes me a long & interesting letter, informs me that Saurin had been to see you & that he had improved very much. So I have the vanity to believe that you will think I acted wisely in putting him in a Factory.... By not having a letter from William, I begin to think he has left Loudon [sic]. Mary mentions the Death of our old favorite Horse Jerry, that circumstance, trifling as it is, awakened in me a thousand melancholy reflections connected with many events of my former days and also those of my Father.... Mary mentions something of her going to Tallahassee but does not say with who or on what conditions."


The statement that Mary was considering going to Tallahassee is interesting since there are no indications that she ever made that trip.  It seems likely that she and her future husband, Burr Braden, were discussing their future and making plans.  Burr had a brother in Tallahassee, Hector W. Braden, so perhaps they were thinking of joining him there. 
 

Mary Dulin Jenners and Burr Braden, son of Robert Braden and Elizabeth (Stevens) Braden obtained a marriage license on 27 March 1827 in Frederick Co., Maryland.  Mary and Burr Braden were married on 29 March 1827.  The location of their marriage has not yet been determined. Some sources indicate Frederick, Maryland; some say Loudoun Co., Virginia; others say Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia). 

In the fall of 1828, Mary and Burr left Loudoun Co., Virginia to settle in the west. In March 1829, Mary and Burr were in Dayton, Ohio preparing to move on to Lafayette, Indiana. Also with them were Mary's mother, Deborah, and her younger siblings. In a letter from Martin Jenners to his mother, Deborah, he writes, "Burr understands from Bradfield [Sarah Jenner's husband], all the directions about managing matters, after you are once started."

After leaving Virginia, Mary and Burr first settled in Lafayette, Indiana, where Burr was a merchant and shopkeeper. They lived in Lafayette "a short time" before moving to Clinton Co., Indiana. One source says that "They came to Dayton, Ohio in the Fall of 1828." Mary and Burr may have "removed to Clinton Co., Indiana" as early as 23 October 1828. Yet another source indicates that on 28 October 1828, Burr and Mary left their home in Virginia, came overland though West Virginia and Ohio, arrived in Dayton in the Fall, and settled finally in Jefferson, Indiana, where Burr opened the first grocery store. Based on the evidence available, it seems likely that they left Loudoun Co. in the Fall of 1828, spent the winter of 1828-29 in Dayton, Ohio, and then travelled on to Lafayette, Indiana, in the Spring of 1829.
 

On 13 January 1829, their first child was born in Dayton, Ohio. They named her Elizabeth Virginia, probably for Burr’s mother and for their home state. Mary was 22 years old. 

In July 1829, they were still in Lafayette, based on the address of the letter to Mary from Sarah Hough. On 5 July 1829, Sarah H. Hough wrote a letter to Mary. Her friend, Sarah, was in Waterford, Virginia. Mary's baby, Elizabeth, was ill. The letter, with all its odd spellings, follows: 

"Waterford, Va  July 6
Mrs. Mary D. Braden
Lafayette
Indiana
Watterford [sic] July 5, 1829

My dear Friend
I was much gratifyed [sic] to heare [sic] from you threw [sic] you[r] Mothers letter it gave me much pleasure to heare [sic] that you had landed at your home safely but was sorry to heare that your littel [sic] babe was sick your Mother B requested me to write for her as her helth [sic] is such that she cannot write. She told me to informe [sic] you that she thought of you all dayley [sic] but she had given up they [sic] idea of eaver [sic] seeing you in thiss [sic] world tharefore [sic] she requested me to give her love to you all and tell you she hoped you would prepare to meet her whare [sic] parting is no more She is nearley [sic] confined to her bed but she told me that she did not expect to continen[-torn-]e long they [sic] afflictions of body and mind she has [-torn-]ered with much composure you know that she is a woman of much firmness and I believe has religion She has been under deep concern for they [sic] good of her soul but I believe has become more reconciled She told me that she had given up all worldley [sic] concerne [sic] you have hurd [sic] of Nobel's and Mr. Dulaney's loss it was great Mr. Dulaney's littel [sic] children lives with him whare [sic] they lived when you left us they are all well at presant [sic] Nobel lives with his mother Elizabeth they [sic] 11 day after her confinement she suffered much but was willing to die her Mother told me that she ast [sic] her if she was willing she told her perfectley [sic] willing I did not see ether [sic] of them after they were taken sick I was very sick at they [sic] time they died but have got [page 2] well. Pleasant and my self was taken in January and Pleasant was veary [sic] ill not expected to recover we continenued [sic] poorly until April we are quit [sic] well at preasant [sic]. Your Brother Sorrean [sic] was heare [sic] in april he spent a weeak [sic] in town he come to see us frequentley [sic] I was much pleased to see [him?] he looks very well and is hansom [sic] I think he said that he had not hurd [sic] from you since you left heare [sic] excepting what he hurd [sic] when heare [sic] Elizabeth Braden requested me to give her love to you to Nancy in particular she wants to heare [sic] [?unreadable] when it would be convenent [sic] you Mother [?unreadable] to informe [sic] your Mother, Mrs. Jenners, that Mabel had sent her goods on three month since. there was a sorrowful circomstance [sic] took place in Leesburg a few days sence [sic] Mr. Enas Wileman you new [sic] him well he hung himself untill [sic] ded [sic] he went out to his farme [sic] to see how his harvest hands come and went up to they [sic] garret [sic] and took his hankerchief [sic] and tied it round his neck and was found ded [sic] by they [sic] servant who was sent up for flower [sic] found him his poor wife has met with a great los [sic] he left a few lines stating they [sic] reson [sic] of his becoming weary of they [sic] world he stated that he loved his wife and children dearer than life but he must leave they [sic] that thiss [sic] was a wicked world and that he believed that they [sic] world fround [sic] uppon [sic] him. I have a copy of that which he wrote likewise he states that he had be come low spirited and melancoly [sic] it was awful [page 3] for him to plung [sic] his self into eternatey [sic] is such a dredful [sic] way had he of died in his bed how much easaer [sic] would it of been for his friends to of born [sic] know [sic] my Dear Mary how do you come on are you happy I hope you are I have veary [sic] often thout [sic] of you and thought that I should be very much pleased to see you nursing your littel [sic] child I want to see it very much Delilah was heare [sic] in they [sic] month of april I have not seen her sence [sic] she was very well I must inform you that our old aunt Eleanor Hough [unreadable] is supposed she died with they [sic] gout in they [sic] stomac [sic] please to give my love to your Mother and tell her that I hope she may enjoy all they [sic] pleasure thiss [sic] world can afford in being with her children they [sic] familey [sic] all joines [sic] with me in love to you all I hope you will excuse me for aney [sic] imperfections in thiss [sic] letter I wrote in a hurry and I never profest [sic] to be much of a leter [sic] writer but I thought I would write it plane [sic] as I profess nothing else in thiss [sic] world but to be plane [sic] in all my actions knowing that I have never had they [sic] oppertunity [sic] of education that some have had that had a kind father to instruct them but I feel thankful that it is as well with me as it is I feel that God has been good and graceous [sic] unto me in many ways I [unreadable] not at any thing that I think is they [sic] will of an all wise creator I shall have to make some apolage [sic] for commencing my letter rong [sic] I believe I never said such a thing before May you be well and happy is the cincear [sic] wish of   Sarah H. Hough       they received Mr. Bradens letter."

 

In September 1829 Burr was visiting family in Waterford, Virginia and wrote at least two letters home to his wife, Mary. See the post on Burr to read the full text of the letters.

Mary's sister, Ann Jenners, in Lafayette, Indiana, wrote a letter dated 21 January 1830 to Burr's sister, Elizabeth, in Waterford, Virginia, in which Ann said that Burr "intends moving in the country in the spring. Mary is almost worn out with her little babe, which is still very poorly and does not think weighs more than six pounds. It does not sleep any barely at night."
 

On 14 May 1830, Burr and Mary’s baby daughter, Elizabeth Virginia, died. It is not known if she died in Lafayette or after they moved to Clinton Co. Her grave has not been found.

Sometime in 1830, Mary and Burr moved Washington Twp., Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana. The Bradens moved there one year after the county was established. They emigrated to Clinton Co. when the area was wilderness, and "soon established a good home." They were there by the time the 1830 census was taken. Burr was listed as age 20-30 living with one female (his wife, Mary, probably) age 20-30. They had no children.
 

On 22 November 1830, Burr and Mary’s son, Hector Saurin, was born. He was named for his uncles, Hector W. Braden and Saurin Jenners.

In September 1831 Mary was a party in a suit filed in Loudoun Co., Virginia, against John Braden (who was executor of the will of Abiel Jenners). He was taken to court by Abiel's widow, Deborah Jenners, and her five youngest children (Sarah Jenners Bradfield, Mary D. Jenners Braden, Nancy Jenners, Alba Jenners and Saurin Jenners) and their spouses (Jonathan Bradfield and Burr Braden) in an attempt to get John to give Deborah the $1500-$2000 left in Abiel's estate after his debts had been paid. Deborah wanted the money to "invest" in Indiana where it would be more convenient for her to draw her interest. John did not want to release the money unless he had a bond that ensured she would refund it to him should more debts surface from Abiel's estate. Abiel's will specified that Deborah be given an allowance for life, and then the surplus of his estate was to be divided between his five youngest children after her death. There is not enough information in the papers we copied to determine the outcome of the case.

On 8 September 1831 at "Meadow Farm", Clinton Co., Indiana, Mary wrote a letter to her sister-in-law, Elizabeth Wright Braden. The letter follows: "Miss Elizabeth Braden Loudon [sic] County, Va [crossed out] Care of Wm. H. Miller, Alexandria, Dist. C. favour [sic] of Saurine Jenners mailed at Waterford Va Oct. 10th

Meadow farm, Sept the 8th,

My dear Elizabeth,
I received you [sic] letter by Saurine this evening which gave me great pleasure indeed it was an agreable [sic] disappointment I had concluded you had forgotten me Im [sic] very [sorry?] to hear of Noble's indisposition, together with Addison, and your uncle John Braden. I was pleased to hear you are enjoying yourself so much, make good use of your present opportunity. If you should have the good fortune to get some one who is worthy of you, you will have sufficient to engage your attention at home. I was greatly pleased to hear from all my acquaintances by your letter. Tell Addison he must visit the west next spring, there is a fine situation for a phisition [sic] in Jefferson, 2 miles distant from us. Burr is very anxious for him to come Nancy is very well and has some beaus, but does not seem to be inclined to marry, she is very anxious to visit Loudon [sic] she wants to see you worse than any person on earth. Ma and N. will spend the winter with us. poor old Moses died this spring. I would write you at length but it is very late at night I have written a long letter to Aunt Dulin and should have had one wrote to you and Miss Sally Hough, but was waiting to receive answers to my letters.
Give my love to S. Phillip tell her she might devote one hour to me. tell dear old Aunt Amea I have not forgotten her, my love to Mrs. Phillip. Tell Mahali I was sorry to hear she was not willing to come to the country for fear of hard work I have as much leasure [sic] time as I ever have had since we been married, and live as easy and plentifull [sic] as I could wish. I think you had better plan a trip to the west with Addison next spring, and decline going to the south N would accompany you to Va. I intend writing you soon at length, so my dear E. write soon and often if you know what pleasure it affords me to receive a letter from my old friends in Va I am confident you would write me more frequent Our little boy grows fast, can crall [sic] over the floor & said to resemble your family, has blue eyes and light hair. Farewell my dear E. N joins me in love to you all Mary D. Braden
N.B. I wrote to know what disposition N had made of our bureau and table, please let me know as I do not like to get one here if I have any prospect of getting that."


A letter from Ann to Elizabeth W. Braden written 6 June 1832 mentions that Mary was expecting another baby. That baby, a son, was born 12 August 1832 and only lived 7 days. He died 19 August 1832. He was apparently not named. His grave has not been found.

In August 1832, Ann stayed with her sister, Mary, after the birth of Mary's son that died. Ann helped to nurse Mary back to health.

On 21 September 1833, another son, Robert Floyd, was born.

In November 1833, Mary’s mother, Deborah, was staying with her daughter in Clinton Co., Indiana and she was not well. On 17 November 1833, Ann Jenners wrote to Elizabeth Braden that "Mary's children grow finely. Hector has had the chills.... Burr is very well and looks like the other Hoosiers."

Mary added a note to the letter of Joseph Addison Braden to Elizabeth Wright Braden written on 18 November 1833. Mary wrote: “Dear Sister,  I wrote you last spring a year ago in answer to a letter you wrote me which you never answered consequently I concluded you wished to drop the correspondence write me soon and I will always answer your letters with pleasure. I hope some day to see you in this country. give my best love dear Mahalia tell her I thank her kindly [page 3] for the present she sent and tell her if possible to come to this country she will do better here that they ever could [Va?] Farewell your loving sister MDBr my best to Mr Phillips & family”

On 23 April 1835, Ann Jenners wrote to Elizabeth Braden that "Mary is poorly. The children grow quick. Mary has learned Hector until he can spell in five letters... Mary is coming in to spend a month so she can get a housekeeper." This apparently meant that Mary was spending a month in Lafayette, where Ann lived.

On 21 September 1835, a daughter, Sarah Deborah, was born. There were several Sarahs on both sides of the family for whom she could be named. The “Deborah” was likely for her maternal grandmother.

On 26 March 1837, a son, William Mordnant Braden, was born. Both Burr and Mary had brothers named William. The middle name, Mordnant, seems to be a reference to a family story linking the Young branch of the family to the Lady Ruth Mordanant, daughter of the Earl of Peterborough. I will write about this story in a later post.

On 7 July 1839, son, Alba H. Braden, was born. He was named for his uncle, Alba Jenners; I have found no sources with his complete name, so do not know what the “H.” stands for.

Mary and Burr Braden appeared on the census of 1840 in Clinton Co., Indiana. The household was shown as follows: Burr, age 30-40; one female (probably his wife, Mary) age 30-40; 2 male children under 5; 2 male children 5-10; one female age 5-10; and one female age 15-20 (this may be a relative, since they had no children 10 years earlier on the 1830 Census or perhaps the housekeeper referred to in Ann's letter). 


On 31 March 1842, a daughter, Mary Jane, was born.

Mary’s mother, Deborah (Young) Jenners, died on 14 May 1842 in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Indiana.

On 14 August 1844, son, Addison Burr, was born. He was named for his uncle, Joseph Addison Braden, and his father, Burr.

On 8 June 1847, daughter Anna Marie, was born. They often called her “Fannie.”

On 21 Aug 1847 in New York City, New York, Burr wrote a letter to his wife, Mary. He had traveled to New York on business.

On 27 March 1848, Mary (Jenners) Braden signed a receipt to Alba Jenners, administrator of the estate of Deborah Jenners, for $110.   In August 1848 at Tippecanoe Co., Indiana, Alba Jenners filed the final accounting of the distribution of his mother's estate (Deborah Young Jenners). At that time, only the following were listed as heirs: Abiel Jenners Bradfield and Guardian (heir of Sarah Y. Bradfield); Burr and Mary Braden; Peter S. Jennings as Guardian of the children of Ann D. Jennings, deceased; and Alba Jenners himself.

Mary and Burr Braden appeared on the census taken 5 August 1850 in the town of Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana. The household consisted of the following: Burr, age 47, merchant, $6050 value of real estate, born VA; Mary, age 41, born VA; Hector, m, age 19, merchant, born IN, attended school that year; Robert, m, age 16, born IN, attended school that year; William, m, age 12, born IN, attended school that year; Alba, m, age 10, born IN, attended school that year; Mary J., f, age 8, born IN, attended school that year; Addison B., m, age 6, born IN, attended school that year; Fanny M., f, age 3, born IN.

In the fall of 1851, son Hector, left home to attend mercantile college in Cincinnati, Ohio.

On 31 July 1852, Burr and Mary’s last child, a daughter, was born. They named her Lucy Jeannette and usually called her “Nettie.”

By 1853, son Hector had settled in Crawfordsville, Indiana.

Mary and Burr Braden appeared on the census taken 11 August 1860 at Jefferson, Washington Twp., Clinton Co., Indiana. The household was listed as: Burr, age 57, farmer, $12,000 value of real estate,$3600 value of personal property, born VA; Mary D., age 52, born VA; William, age 23, born IN; Deborah, age 25, born IN; Mary, age 18, born IN; Addison, age 16, born IN; Ann, age 14, born IN; Nettie, age 8, born IN.

Sometime in 1861, son Robert enlisted in the Army. By 22 September 1861 he was stationed at Booneville, Missouri. Robert wrote a series of letters home over the next few years while he fought in the Civil War. I will include those when I do a post about Robert Floyd Braden.

On 6 December 1861, Mary’s husband, Burr Braden, died in Clinton Co., Indiana. Mary was 54 years old and had three children at home under 18 years old.

On 13 February 1863, at Clinton Co., Indiana, Mary Braden filed an application for the guardianship of her three minor children: Addison (18), Anna M. (15), and Lucy J. (10).

Mary Dulin (Jenners) Braden died on 5 September 1863 at Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana, at age 56. She was buried next to Burr in Jefferson Cemetery, near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana. 

Mary's tombstone - photo taken in 1994
Mary's tombstone - photo taken in 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment