Saturday, June 6, 2015

Updated: Mysteries from the Hankinson Attic: Sherwood Telegraph Office

On back: "Sherwood Telegraph Office" and "HLG"
Here is another interesting old photo from the Jones attic in Hankinson, North Dakota.  No date on this and though I've blown it up, I can't see anything to provide the date.

There is a Sherwood, North Dakota up near the Canadian border but it is about 400 miles from Hankinson, so I doubt that is the correct place.

There is a Sherwood, Wisconsin that is about 12 miles from Neenah, Wisconsin.  Neenah was the home of the Jones family before John R. Jones moved to North Dakota.  Sherwood, Wisconsin seems most likely to be the correct place.

*****
Since posting this, a fellow researcher, Ray Quisenberry, identified both the place & the person.

This is the telegraph office in Sherwood, Tennessee about 1890.   Here is what Ray said, 

"I believe that the photo is of the Sherwood, Tennessee NC&StL RR telegraph office.  The Nashville, Chattanooga  & St. Louis RR connected Chattanooga (and Atlanta) with Nashville....  Henry Lee Greene was the agent there in 1890.  His wife was Anna Jones – sister of John R. Jones."

As soon as I read that, I knew Ray was right.  Somewhere I had seen a picture of Henry Greene, but I don't seem to have it anymore.  But I am confident Ray has identified this picture:  Henry Lee Greene, about 1890, Sherwood Telegraph Office, Sherwood, Tennessee.
Thanks, Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment