Friday, August 14, 2015

Martin Jenners (1797 - 18??)


Martin Jenners was born 25 April 1797 in Washington City (now called Washington, D.C.). He was the first born child of Abiel Jenners and his wife, Deborah Young. An unconfirmed family document gives his name as “Martin Holbrook Jenners,” however, no other documents have been found to confirm that. Other contemporary documents, including letters he wrote, give his name as “Henry M. Jenners.” More information is needed to confirm his correct name. The family always referred to him as Martin or Mart. 




Update April 14, 2016:  In several Chancery Suits filed in Loudoun Co., Virginia, I find Martin listed as Henry M. Jenners.  Since this is the name used in legal documents filed in court, I believe that his correct name is Henry Martin Jenners.  This also fits with the family pattern of family members calling the child by its middle name.

About 1802, when Martin was 5 years old, his family moved from Washington to the Broad Run area of Loudoun Co., Virginia. The family lived on various farms, some apparently owned and some rented, in Loudoun Co., eventually settling near Waterford.

By 1820, Martin was working as a merchant and traveling to obtain goods. He was aboard the schooner Patriot when it arrived at the port in Baltimore, Maryland on 27 August 1820. The ship had sailed from Matanzas, Cuba. Martin was listed as a passenger, "Henry M. Jenners," with two trunks and one dish. He had also shipped 30 dozen apples and 5 barrels of limes on board. He was listed as H. M. Jenners, age 22, a merchant from the United States.

On 26 September 1824, Martin’s father, Abiel Jenners, died near Waterford, Virginia.

By 1826, Martin seems to have been traveling regularly between Baltimore, Key West, and Havana, Cuba. He left Baltimore on 5 February 1826 to sail for Key West. By 9 March 1826, he was in Havana, when he wrote the following letter to his mother, Deborah (Young) Jenners:

"Havana 9th March 1826
My Dear Mother,
I have wrote both William & Mary Since my arrival here. This however may reach you, before either of theirs come to hand. I will therefore inform you that I arrived here 1st after a tedious passage of 23 Days from Baltimore, Since when my health has been unusually good. I think I am now nearly as heavy as when I returned from Pennamburg [?], but If remain in these Regions of Perspirations, this summer I shall again become thin.
I had the pleasure of finding my friends & acquaintance [sic] here all well. My old friend Spencer received me very kindly - He now owns my (former) man Carlos, who was much rejoiced to see me back, he still calls me Master & never fails to mentions the Floggings I used to give him.
This Season is delightful & very healthy, there are several persons in the same House with me from the U.S. with Pulmonary affections, most of them receive great benefit from the Climate, others too far gone, might as well have remained at home.
I leave here in a few Days for Key West, & expect I shall have go a few days to Matanzas.
I have wrote to Saurin once since I come out & am now daily expecting to hear from you or some of the family - Do not fail to write me - We have no accounts of Mr. Patrick since [page 2] he left here 9th December. I fear he will be too late to effect his views [?] on Loudon [sic], however nothing certain as yet -
Wishing health & happiness to you & the Family & with my best respects to all friends I remain, Dear Mother your affect Son 

 Hy M. Jenners

Saurin will be permitted to go home in June. Without any cause, I have somehow been afraid, he would become discontented & leave his place - but I hope not, he must drive away at the Cotton - I have requested Mr. Buchanan to take the cotton management of him."


The William, Mary, and Saurin he mentions are some of his siblings.

By 31 March 1826, Martin was in Key West, Florida. He wrote to his mother in Waterford, Virginia:
"The postage on this letter was paid by me in the presence of W.A. Anderson & Mr. N.S. Braden to Mr. Dl. Stone - Wm M. Jenners May 3rd 1826 Docketed: H.M.J. Key West 31 Mar 1826. Key West 31 March 1826

My Dear Mother

A vessel is just on the point of sailing for Pensacola, & though it is unusual to write that way, still we are obliged to do so, as so few opportunities now offer for the north. I wrote you a few days since via Havana, & have little now to add, & write, knowing you will always be glad to hear from me. There is now some chance of speculating here, two schooners & a ship have just come in, having been ashore on a Reef of Rocks, & got much injured - the ship is loaded with sugar & coffee, the chance of making money, depends altogether on what the articles sell for. Long before this, I expected to have been in the Floridas, to look out for a future establishment for us, & Genl Rust - but our officers have never been such, as to permit my doing so -- I had infinite trouble in settling matters at Balto. [Baltimore] & Alexandria, & Mr. Patrick's unexpected departure for Loudoun, called my presence to this quarter, where I must now remain, until things are closed. I have already lost too much, by leaving Business unsettled --

We have now, the frame of a House laying here, which has cost us upwards of 4000$ - I must do something with it, sell it if possible though I fear it will never bring half the money - Would Business justify, I would put it up here, & then sell, but this is running a risk - perhaps I shall take it to Havana or Matanzas-- This place is, & ever will be sickly, & I cannot think of making it my permanent residence, though I really think, that no one is less afraid of sickly places, than myself- As I am under a promise of joining our friend Mr. Rust in Florida, or that country, of course, I shall look to no other place, until we see what can be done there- I shall return to Havana in a few days & I think of going from there to N. Orleans & then into Florida. I left Havana 21, at that time we had not accounts from Patrick & begin to fear some misfortune has befallen him- he left Havana 9th December.

I have no letters since I left Baltimore 5th Feby, but expect to hear from you when I go to Havana.
This place is much improved since I left in July last, many houses have been built, several families have arrived- the sickly season will commence in May, when I fear many of them must go, a great many died here last summer, & out of a population of 200, it would surprise you to see how many are complaining, others looking meagre [sic], yellow & about half dead, however one soon becomes used to all these things. The Navy this day removing the last of their men, & effects to Pensacola, they have lost a great many officers & men here, & this I suppose is the principal cause of the Navy Depot being removed to Pensacola - I was at a great Ball two days since, & had the honor of paying my attentions to a fair one, from Nassau [sic] - it was the first Ball ever had on the Island. The Fidlers [sic] unfortunately got intoxicated, & thus interrupted the dance, they tried their best to play on, but for the soul of them, they could not manage their violins - Several more Balls are talked of, but I expect the fever will soon bring some of us to a halt.

I am anxious to hear from you & also from Saurin- I do not know when I shall go to the north. Should I find a good place I may stop & write Genl Rust to send out goods or I may go on to Baltimore.

Write me often, let me know how you all come on. My love to all the family 

 Your affn Son Hy M. Jenners."

I believe the “General Rust” that Martin refers to is General George Rust, (1788-1857) a prominent man in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

In April 1826, he was still in Key West. The letter he wrote his mother has two dates, “Key West 1825” and “April 1826.” Based on the other letters, I believe April 1826 is correct. Martin wrote:

"Key West
Key West 1825
April 1826

My Dear Mother -

This goes in a Box of Shells which I bought from a crew from [unreadable] vessel - They are curious, and beautiful & intended to be divided among all my Brothers & Sisters, as they may think proper. The number of shells, will allow them, to make presents of a part to their friends -
I have another Box containing Marine productions collected on this Island, which I shall send you -
I send you also a case of Wine, said to be Marseilles though I think light Port, mixed with water, it is a very pleasant drink & we use it here at Breakfast & supper in that way. I think you would find good for you by giving strength to the stomach & system - It must be kept secure from the air, else it will soon become sour. This wine with a quantity of Flour Butter, Lard, Rice, &c was taken from the Pirates on the coast of Cuba by the U.S. Galtist [?] Sea-Gull and British Schooner Union and Lion - The Sea-Gull also brought in 19 Pirates, which were taken after a skirmish in which 8 others were killed - They remained on shore here sometime, where I saw and talked with them every day in the Spanish language. A few of them appeared to be gentlemen, one doctor. - 14 have just gone to Havana the other 5 badly wounded still remain here.
If you think proper, please send Aunt Nancy (but none for that Deneale) & Aunt Polly some Bottles of the Wine - it must be well corked -
We have now in harbor consigned to us, two Brigs - the Hope from Alexandria and Dodge Wesly [?] from Baltimore - both full loaded with Flour hams lard, whiskey, Butter, crackers &c intended for Havana
I still receive many kind letters from my old friend I. Gooding and family, he has sent out 80 sheep which I sold here for $7 each. next Fall I wish David to buy every pound of Lard he can get, for which purpose he must take a horse and ride through the County Maryland Pennsylvania &c - we sell to Havana for 18 cents a pound - 200 Barrels will sell there at once without lowering the price - he may give as high as 11 cents per pound - we will provide him with money at Baltimore. He must mind the main point, that is, not to let any one know his intentions -
I shall see you before long - In the mean time I give my unceasing prayers to Heaven for the health & happiness of you and the family - yourself and them more dear to me than all the world besides -

God Bless You 

 Your Loving Son

Hy M Jenners
Do you recollect Abram Gardner and Alexander [?]cridge they are now both here - the former Captain of our schooner, the other a Lieutenant in the Navy"


The David referred to was Martin’s brother. Aunt Nancy was his mother’s sister, Ann, who married James DeNeale; Aunt Polly was his mother’s sister, Mary, who married John Dulin.

In July 1826, Martin was back in Cuba when he wrote his mother:

"Havana 27 July 1826


Dear Mother/

By an arrival at Matanzas 25th I was truly gratified of receiving a letter from Mary dated 25 June, this being the only time I have heard from Home since February, & I can assure you it relieved my mind of much anxiety for not hearing for such a length of time, I feared that some death had happened in the family. I am truly happy to hear you are well, & My health still continues perfectly good.

Mary writes me a long & interesting letter, informs me that Saurin had been to see you & that he had improved very much, So I have the vanity to believe that you will think I acted wisely in putting him in a Factory.

By this opportunity, I send a small box containing some notions which you & the children will dispose of and divide as you deem best, and most agreeable to yourselves. My Partner Mr. Patrick left here a few days since for New York & Balt. & will probably come over to see you. On my account I am convinced you will show him every kindness.

By not having a letter from William, I begin to think he has left Loudoun. Mary mentions the Death of our old favorite Horse, Jerry, that circumstance, trifling as it is, awakened in me a thousand melancholy reflections connected with many events of my former days and also those of my Father. I well remember many instances of my treating the old Horse with cruelty, & which being now passed, I can only regret. Mr. Dulany deserves our best thanks for his attentions to the Funeral rites of an old and faithful servant - I cannot but mention one circumstance connected with the history of Jerry [unreadable word] The last time I ever saw Sam & Wm Young was on his Farm in Loudoun. I rode Jerry there - when about leaving his House, he looked at him & said "Martin, I have always wanted Jerry & your Father has promised to leave him to me, should I survive him," but (says he) Jerry will outlive us both", I bid him farewell, and saw him no more. This was before I went to Pernanburg [?] - Time has verified his observation. Nothing is permanent or lasting, everything is hastening to perfection or going to decay - Tis the irrevocable decree of Fate - we must all obey.

I have still some hopes of getting home to see you this summer. I shall have it in my power to spend some time with you. I shall write William in a few days on a very interesting subject which I hinted to him in a former letter, respecting my partner. Should he go over to see you (as mentioned in this letter) William must be careful not to mention to him, what I had said on that subject. Mary mentions something of her going to Tallahassee but does not say with who or on what conditions, so I am left to guess. From Mary's letter I conclude Doctor Edwards is in bad health. Let me know how Alba comes on & is he going to school or what is he about? I still think you had best put him to a Machinist, on this subject I will write Mr. Buchanan. [large section of page is blank]

The Box I now send will be left with Mr. Johnson Hopkins, Pratt-Street Wharf, where you can direct someone to call for it. My love to all the family & best respects to all friends & [unreadable] ever

Yrs affectionately

M. Jenners"



I have not taken the time to try and determine who all the people are that Martin mentioned in the above letter. Alba, however, is one of his brothers.

The next letter from Martin to his mother was dated 29 October 1826 from Baltimore, Maryland. He wrote:

"Baltimore, 29 October 1826.

My Dear Mother,
Your Letter of 11th & Mary's of Same date and one from William have all been duly received and perused with pleasure. I have delayed answering them because I expected to have been with you before this date. I have been daily looking for amounts to enable me to settle, with some of our friends in Alexandria, & then my intention is to go from there to John Dulin’s, then home. This I shall certainly do, as soon as the Accounts Come to hand, which must be in a day or two, -
My health has been constantly getting better, & I am now nearly as well as ever.
Mr. Patrick Sailed on the 21st for Havana, and is nearly there, by this time. I cannot now leave the U.S. til I hear from him, which will be five or six weeks. I cannot find any Merino Shawls that would please Sally and Mary… [part of letter is missing]…
I have nothing more to say at the moment. Mrs. Gooding has been extremely ill, is now better, more of all other matters when I see you.
My love to all the family & Respects to friends,
H. M. Jenners
The violin & humorous letter of N. S. Braden came Safe to hand. This letter is post paid."


By March 1828, Martin was no longer traveling between Baltimore and Cuba. He was in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Indiana. Lafayette had just been established as a town about three years before.

Martin wrote to his mother, Deborah, with instructions about her moving to Lafayette with several of Martin's siblings. She seems to have been thinking of settling in Dayton, Ohio. The letter follows:

"Lafayette
My Dear Mother        Mrs. Deborah Jenners

On Sunday 16th March, I wrote William at some length, in which I mentioned all & everything about your leaving Dayton - This I did in case I should not be able to come on in time. First of coming here. I advise it, as the best thing we can do - In our circumstances we can have a better chance of getting on here than at Dayton, because there are no rich people here as yet, & in such a place more can be gained either on a small capital, or credit, than is possible to be done [unreadable] there is such Capital as at Dayton- We must on coming here, [unreadable] you, undergo many inconveniences, in the first place, no house [unreadable] rented; Burr is willing for us to go into his house (which was terribly [unreadable] of him) until we can get one- To do this, we must buy a lot, this to get a good one suitable for a store & dwelling house would cost say $175, there for $400 - We could put up a store & dwelling - could we get the Lot of Magors, & improve it in this way, I am satisfied, that in three years, it would bring $1000 - But where is the money to come from, this I fear will bother us, as it has many other very worthy people. If however you could any way do this, it would be safe, & at all events afford you a home of your own - A House and Lot we must have somehow & having that, I see every reason to believe that we shall ere long do well, that is become independent of the world, of which God knows I have seen enough, to desire most ardently - I am also well satisfied, that store keeping here must & will increase in being a good Business, not only because the country will increase, much faster than any part of Ohio ever has, but because the fine & rich Prairies, affording an excellent soil; & that too, already clear for cultivation, thus giving a farmer an immediate profit, & you know that a great many are disposed to spend as fast as they make, this is always for the profit of store keepers - Land is plenty, either for rent, or on shares, then is also some for sale, & a great deal not entered, so we can with what force we have, make our Provision, & have something over to sell - Looking to the nature of this country, its real advantages, & perhaps others to be found out, it requires but little foresight to see, that it will in a few years, be the garden of the Western Country - This is my opinion of the Country, to which I have one objection, it being too cold, had it but the climate of Spain, I should desire to go no further- If we come here, let us all set out to get forward, be determined, & mutually assist each other & also learn to forbear with those failings, common to all- In this way, we cannot fail of success- For my part, having no family of my own, one of the greatest pleasures, I look for now is, to promote the good of my Brothers & Sisters, & to make you comfortable in your old age- To this I am now, or I ever was, willing to do any thing in my power- I will observe here as I did to William, that had we means I should much prefer living at Dayton, for we must all say, that we are greatly pleased with the people there & that they treated us with much kindness - particularly Col. Quincy & all the family, & I shall be happy if we should ever again, meet with so worthy & kind a family- I wrote William to get some Tea & Coffee, if you should want it- I also wrote him, that maple Sugar would be plenty here this Summer at 6 cents; but I have just heard that Orleans Sugar can be had at Cincinnatti [sic] for 6 cents, if so, good Orleans can no doubt be had here, for 8 cents, & you had better by [sic] the Orleans sugar at Cincinnatti [sic], & bring it with you, because it will go much further, & will not dry like maple sugar- I think it will be well for you to bring a hoe, for gardening, and also bring all the cooking utensils & furniture you want, for all things of that kind, are not only dear, but of miserable quality here. I recommended to Wm to bring a hogs head of molasses which will pay well, perhaps Burr would join him in this But Sally has just told me of a still better article to bring, which is Wool. She says it has sold here for 75 cents- It can be bought in Dayton for 25 cents, should be clean or washed, & soft, however you know good wool- But what I am now most anxious about is getting a Lot & as before observed, this we must have, that is if you like to come here [unreadable].

You were pleased with Dayton, & seemed disposed to stay there, if that is your mind, or should you wish it, I should be far from persuading you to come away, but would try what we could there- On the whole however, we can try this awhile, if we like then to go further, we can do so- I have heretofore as I now think that St. Louis, Missouri, would suit us better than any part of the west- David takes with him, Mr. Branam's Coat, & Mr. Compton's Saddle Bags, please send them home by Alba- Tell William to take care of my silver pen and Inkstand. I left them down stairs- Also tell him to take care of a hone, & a small jar of Blue-pill moss, both are over the door, in your bed room- I hope your things may have come on from Loudoun. I also expect my Matrass [sic] & some bedding from Baltimore- They may have come to Cincinnatti [sic], & therefore if Wm will ask Mr. Phillips the name of his friend at Cincinnatti [sic], he can when you go there, ask if they have come- If not, Wm can write to Knox & McKee at Wheeling, to whom I directed the things to be sent - Wm can say to them that in case of the things are there, they are to be sent to Jas James Cincinnatti [sic] & he will send them here- As there is not Fruit yet in this quarter, you had best bring some dried apples. Flour is cheaper here than at Cincinnatti [sic]- It would be a great disappointment should you go to Cincinnatti, & then find no Boat coming here, but this is a risk you have to run, so you can judge by the weather, if the Wabash will be up, when I say, that the people here do not think that it has (with the rain & snow since I have been here) got high enough to come over the falls-

You can by enquiry at Dayton, always hear when Boats are leaving Cinn. for this- McCormick (by who I sent a letter to Wm) & Fink intend coming by water, & either can inform you when Boats are coming- Burr understands from Bradfield, all the directions about managing matters, after you are once started. Of Wool, I have now to reverse what I mentioned above, that you had better bring what you want for the family only, & you can get that already spun- In this letter to you, I have so much, & in that to Wm as much again, which leaves one no more to add, but my great regret that I am not able to go on with David- I am perfectly well except a pain in my hip & can’t ride,-- This came not from the journey, but riding so fast on a hard going animal- When I go a journey again, I promise myself one thing, to take my own time & let others go their own gait- Yours affectionately,        Hy M. Jenner

The Bls you have in use belong to Mr. Grimes-- Let all the little debts be paid to [unreadable], Mr. Beaman & others" 



The above letter is a gold mine of information about my husband’s family’s migration from Loudoun Co., Virginia, to Lafayette, Indiana. From it, we learned that Martin and his brother, David, as well as their married sister, Sarah Bradfield, and her husband Dr. Jonathan Bradfield, were all in Lafayette first. Their mother, Deborah, their sister Mary and her husband, Burr Braden, and the younger Jenners children had travelled from Loudoun as far as Dayton, Ohio, and were considering settling there. We know they chose, instead, to go on to Lafayette, and from this letter, can speculate that they probably took a boat from Cincinnati down the Ohio River and then up the Wabash River to Lafayette.

Though the family settled in Lafayette, Martin did not stay put for long. His sister, Ann, mentioned him in a letter in April 1831 and said he was in the “fur trade.” He was, by this time, 34 years old and still unmarried.

On 9 June 1831, Martin was in Vincennes, Indiana. He had just arrived after eight days on the road. His letter follows, but is very difficult to read, so please excuse all my editorial notations and questions [?]:

"Vincennes, Thursday 9th June 1831

Dear [M? Br?]other 

We arrived here this afternoon having been eight days making our progress. We could have come the distance (250 miles by Water) in half the time could we have run at night but the water being low and the nuisance [?] of snags in the River we had to lay be at night. We got lodging every night of some kind, only one night did we get beds. I leave here day after tomorrow in the stage for St. Louis distant 100 [?] miles, shall arrive there in three days. I cannot now say when I shall return. We shall get our machine [unreadable] & [unreadable] sell out, the first good offer, in this I believe all part[ners?] agree. Should this [unreadable] I presume the matter will be [con?]=cluded in two or three months. Should nothing offer further I [torn spot?] then return to Lafayette. So I may be back there soon though [torn spot?] perhaps not too soon. I did wish to have remained at Lafayette [unreadable] circumstances [unreadable] not allow me to do so being disappointed in my affairs [?] there, I must accept whatever else may offer. A few days before coming away I told you who I blamed for my disappointment, could not see[?] think or believe otherwise, impossible. My mind on that point is unchangeable. I think a little more time will give you the same opinion (which I have long entertained of one of the parties). A certain[?] gentleman who lives in Loudon [sic] County [unreadable] here once more say that I do not now nor ever shall attach the least blame to either you or William. I believe that your and his intentions toward me were [unreadable] sincere and honorable from first to last. By too much confidence I have been dispatched [?] two years the best of my Life [?]. But if I am ever caught [unreadable] again then I shall make[?] myself an interesting Fool. I must [make?] once more my [unreadable] fortune among strangers.
About your remaining at Lafayette this summer I feel very uneasy - In my own mind I believe the place is and will be sickly, though I have been cautious in making [unreadable] observation - I think it will be unsafe for you [unreadable] Nancy to remain there during the summer: the [unreadable] Sally all ought to remain a part of the Summer in the country - Parish's Grove is the only salubrious spot that I have known of in that quarter - It is about 35 miles from Lafayette. If you Nancy and Sally go there (& I advise as soon as the weather becomes warm) William had best get a two horse carry-all or waggon [sic] take with you some little provisions, say, Flour meal and Bacon Lard [?] coffee and sugar, the cott [sic] you used coming out and one Bed & [unreadable] bed clothes, this because you may get to some place on the way where these articles are not plenty - At Bell's in Parish Grove where I commend you to stay, you will find everything com=[fortable?]. Your better way out will be to pass[?] at Lafayette, thence [torn page] Road to Mr. Bringhams (near squire McCormick) from [torn page] to on the main or principal left hard Roads which will [torn page] you to Shrivers. In sight of him lives Mr Courtnay (I think this one right) who married a Daughter of Mr. Jordans [?] you can put up there for the night should you not have time to pass the Prairie the same day. From Courtney's you enter the [Grand?] Prairie, thence a due West course by the Hickory Grove where Smith [?] lives will bring you to Holmes on Big Pine, from thence to Parish Grove the miles all Prairie Your best way will be to go from Lafayette to Holmes Big Pine the first day, the next to Parish Grove. From Big Pine you can see the Oak Grove four miles West you pass abreast the north end of this at point you will see Parish Grove, the first large cluster of [unreadable] West, of course cannot go out of your way - Bell lives in the south[?] end of the Grove - so you enter the Grove at the S.E.[?] corner[?], the first house is Hecter's[?] with whom I had a blow up. After passing his house, the first left from Big Road goes to Bells. If you do not go to Parish Grove you must by all means go some where else in the country as soon as the weather becomes calm & sultry. On no account put it off till you get sick, it is then too late - If you and Nancy both [unreadable] I left at Williams, he sick passed it to you. [several unreadable words] must return the trunk to him. When you see Mr. Monback[?] ask him what must offer best[?] about the old violin of Mrs B- Left with Mr Lyons at Lagrange a hat for Alva - Mr Lyons will leave it at David’s - We stopped a few minutes at [New?] York where I saw Woodford Dulaney at the dock [unreadable] there. In his store I was not a little surprised to find at Dulaney's Robert Lacy; he came out from Waterford with George Janney. Woodford Dulaney says that Zachariah & Dr Edwards are coming out to York this Fall & that himself and them all intend going to Lafayette - George Janney will be at Lafayette in a short time, and probably take Robert with him - While [unreadable] at Lamotte Prairie, I met Thomas Janney, who was a merchant in Alexandria, when I lived with James Deneale.

I know of nothing more to say now. Shall next write you from St. Louis - I want all the family to write me - You can all write under one cover, or in one letter Hoping this may find you all, as it leaves me, in good health - I remain as always 

Yours affectionately H. M. Jenners

As promised when I got a little settled at St Louis, I will make out my accounts with you and sent it to you - Mr Cox & me agreed on 50 cents (I think it was) as the price of the wood in the chimney - This amount you can pay him - In the account which I made between you and Benjamin Bradfield are to be found, all the charges and credits except the settlement about the quantity of Corn, - Burr Braden and Alva can tell the Loads we got from them, and how many were delivered to Mr Bradfield, there will be some amount of corn more or less to pay to his credit, this when you ascertain from them, must be placed on the credit side, the Interest must then be calculated, and the balance can soon be found, which will be in your favor - I tried several times to settle it myself, but as neither John nor his Father caring to their Books, I could not do so - Burr can inform you the conditions upon which he rented the [unreadable]." 



The next letter from Martin to his mother is dated 14 July 1831 from St. Louis, Missouri. It is addressed to “Mrs. Deborah Jenners, Lafayette, Tippecanoe Cty, Indiana” and follows:

“St. Louis Missouri 14th July 1831 


My Dear Mother

My last letter to you was from Vincennes. I have wrote but twice since to Lafayette, both times to William. It is now almost too soon to write again, and my reason for doing so is, that I feel very uneasy under the apprehension that something has happened, as I have not a line from any of the Family, although William was to write me in two weeks after I left. I do not know of any thing of moment to tell you at present - most of the time I have been engaged at the steam [?] mills two & a half miles above Town in getting every thing ready for operation We shall be under way soon, and shall I think do well - Nothing will be wanting on my part to turn every thing to good account. I have had some hand work, though to this I make no objection, while I see there is a prospect of making something by it- Mr. Bonnel and me agree perfectly well so far- I have always found him strictly honorable and correct, and in every thing he has come up to the very letter of his engagements in this Business- On all occasions Bonnel has manifested every disposition to befriend and assist me in any thing I required- Whatever may be said of him in Lafayette, I can assure you if some of his principles could be infused into several there, both themselves and their neighbors would be the better by it- This also leads me to hope that here as in other places where I have been a stranger I shall find friends- I think we shall sell out soon after getting in operation, that done I shall probably return to Lafayette, which will be in two or three months. I wished, much wished, to have remained in Lafayette at least some where near you, and I should cheerfully have given my time and labor for nothing to have seen you well and comfortably fixed for the remainder of your days. Had I means I would have done it for you myself, for it has always been a painful thought to me that after your coming so long a journey and suffering as you did, that you should be obliged to live as you have in Lafayette, particularly when it was caused by another who withheld money righteously your own, which he was bound by both honor and obligation to pay it however you required- This matter has always exasperated me against John Braden, on your own account alone, without reference to his conduct towards me. Circumstances it seems for the present at least will not allow me to live near you, and had I ever dreamed that things would have taken such course with me as they have, never should I have seen this side of the mountains- I did not bid adieu to any one in Lafayette (which is always an unpleasant thing to me) except little Eugenia The evening before I left, I told her I was going away and not Coming to see her any more. She took her satisfaction by saying "I shan't like you any more Unkle [sic] Mart" - You can hardly believe how much I miss the little baggage. She would be good company for me here at the mill where I pass my evenings alone - With propper [sic] management she will make a smart Woman- Where I Board there are three small girls, the least about the size of Eugenia- I can make nothing of them, they are their Parents own dear children & so much indulged that it requires sometimes both Father and Mother to prevent them stealing the victuals from the Table, this is sure to be the case, when a Fried chicken appears which is but seldom- The negro slaves here are numerous, a great number about the mill, they are orderly, obedient and obliging, but like poor old Moses, have confused Ideas of property by which many little things pass suddenly from one corner [?] to another- But many things are taken I believe by the whites following the River, a great many come here to sell their Rafts of logs, purchase meat, Flour, &c This is a large milling establishment, all goes by steam- With one Engine they drive two pair of large Burrs, one small for country work, and at the same time two saws. they go with great rapidity & have sawed as much as 11,000 feet of Inch Boards in one day- By the same engine also we drive our Bucket [?] making.

I have seen a number of washing machines here, on the same plan of that made by Saurin. They do not find very ready sale, because perhaps the Toe heads or Negroes are more handy- The Town of St Louis stands on the West bank of the Mississippi, about fourteen miles below the mouth of the Missouri. The site is admirable being an elevated limestone Ridge of Rocks, from 40 to 100 feet above the level of the River- The Town stretches along the River a distance of two miles, with one principal street in which all the business is done The population I believe is about 6000- It is improving with great rapidity- As it is said to be the only good situation close upon the River for 1000 miles up or down and being near the confluence of the principal Rivers of the Region it must doubtless become a great town and at Some day, and perhaps that not very distant, the Capital of a great Empire embracing the northern valley of the Missouri and Mississippi- The French here are numerous, the lower part of the Town is almost entirely inhabited by them- Like the Dutch, they copy their ancestors, right or wrong- Thus their one horse carts, are the same as those used a century ago. No Tyre [sic] on the wheels nor I believe any Braces [?], small Body, worked like a Basket with round poles, harness and colar [sic] all made and lashed solid together, these again lashed firm to the Cart shafts, put tho loose at once in stays, the poor beast is in the same place that I found myself formerly in uncaring shirts the colars [sic] of which Sally had Starched for me. I had no alternative but to move in a direct line, or if I wanted to turn, I had to sweep side ways round a circle like the Beam of an apple Mill- In like manner, I have seen their horses turning-

I could write you much longer, but the paper is too thin to write on the other side I am very anxious to hear from you I want to have a letter from yourself, as soon as you find time to write.- Take care of your health- Use Bitters of Colonobo and Gentian Meade in a strong tea- Drink some good Wine- This may avoid a dissentery [sic]- My next will be to David and Bradfield. My love to all and believe

Sincerely & affectionately, you're [sic] H. M. Jenners

Tell William that we shall not get started as soon as we expected as in a day or two they intend taking down the Engine now in use & putting up a larger one in its place, when I do suppose that wheat and corn logs & lumber, buckets and Tubs will be knocked about at great rate to be sure" 



This letter is the last confirmed information I have on Martin. I have been unsuccessful in finding anything more about him.
Based on a comment in another family letter written in May 1844, I believe he was deceased by that time. And in probate papers related to his mother’s estate that were filed in August 1848, he was not listed among the heirs, so I believe he was certainly dead by that time.
I would love to find more information on Martin. Did he return to Lafayette? Where, when and how did he die? Where is he buried? Did he ever marry? 


Any suggestions of places to search for him would be appreciated. I’ve looked in Lafayette and St. Louis without success.















No comments:

Post a Comment