Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Letter: Jennie Pinch to Mary Elva Stilwell, Nov. 5, 1882


Envelope addressed to:  Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin.
Envelope postmarked: Lakeville, Conn., Nov 6

Lakeville Conn., Nov. 5 1882
My dear dear Minnie, -

            How the time does fly here.  Why I see by the date of your letter that ‘twas received over a month ago.  Well how are you agreeing with Jobs comforters now days?  Have you had a falling out with them, or do you entertain them as pleasantly as ever?  Do you know if I were in your place I should be crosser than a bear.  The idea of being afflicted with boils for a year or two, perhaps I ought to have some to teach me patience.  However I think I will learn that fast enough in my school work.  These children are so mischievous.  I feel sometimes as if I could shake them all to pieces, yet I am becoming very much attached to some of them.  I have one very handsome boy in my room and the dear little fellow is getting to be quite fond of me.  I am afraid I shall be rather partial still one does not mind the looks so much after you get used to them.   When I first came I thought, well can I ever stand it to be with these creatures for hours a day, but I really enjoy the work and am very glad that I came.  Went to church this morning and instead of staying to Sunday school came directly home so that I could write you a letter before dinner.  Did I do right?  Thought one Sunday school would do me for to day and I have to instruct the children this afternoon as Miss Mervin has gone home.  We take turns and to day should have been my day off.
            We have had lovely weather this fall and I can tell you that I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  Have been feeling pretty well most of the time yet I find I am not over strong.  One week I took some rather long tramps every afternoon after school and was sick three or four days to pay for it.  But the weather was so delightful and the temptation to climb these great hills and get some fine ferns could not be resisted, although I was fearful of what the consequences might be.  Now don’t you worry over that heart of mine, to be sure the young Dr. is sort of nice, but I do not think there is any danger of his trying to steal it away and of course I shall not give it unasked.  Have made the acquaintance of several young people – three very pleasant fellows among them.  I tell you Minnie these Eastern fellows are fast, smart too, but I believe if a girl were going to choose a husband that she might far better take a good substantial Western man.  But what is there about these wicked fellows that is so fascinating?  Someway I always did take more of a liking to a regular pill than to a good straight fellow.  Well sick is life and, as Allie used to say, every day grows sicker and sicker.  Oh Minnie dear I wish I could see some familiar face this afternoon.  I get sort of lonely at times, especially when Miss Merwin goes home, yet I do not think I have been really homesick since I came.  I guess that was all over with before I left for I can assure you that I did not feel any to easy when I thought of leaving all those loved ones at home.
            Do you ever hear any thing about Edith Blackman?  I wrote her sometime since but have received no reply and have been wondering if she had left school again.  She is very foolish in attempting to finish her course at Ripon College or anywhere else for that matter.  Health comes first, - don’t you think so?  Do you know the whereabouts of J.R. ?  I think it will be just to mean for anything if he does not take unto himself one of the three girls whom he had so great admiration for.
            Well I must not write more now.  This last topic will probably set you in a train of pleasant reflections and there I will leave you, hoping to hear from you soon.
            With much love to you Minnie and kindest regards to your people.
                                                                        Lovingly  Jennie Pinch.












Once again, J.R. (John R. Jones) is mentioned.
Other letters from Jennie to Minnie are Here and Here.
I suspect that the Edith Blackman mentioned above by Jennie is the writer of the letter found Here

I found an Edith Blackman, born about 1862, in Whitewater, Wisconsin (where the above linked letter originated).  Her parents were Charles & Mary Blackman.  She married Frank Knight Sanders in Walworth, Wisconsin on June 28, 1888.  She died 21 March 1939.




No comments:

Post a Comment