Sunday, January 19, 2020

Letter: Fannie A. Ireland to Minnie Stilwell, Dec. 17, 1882


Please see this post about Fannie A. Ireland for discussion of this letter and other information.

Postmark: Camanche, Ioa, Dec 18
Addressed to:  Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin

Camanche, Iowa
December 17, 1882.
Dear Cousin Minnie
            I have a little time before evening service and know of no way to put in my time more pleasantly than by writing to you, and I trust my letter will receive a welcome.
           I would not for the world have you think that I only think of you when I write, for that would be a very mistaken idea.  You are all often in my mind and I have talked about you so much at home that the folks all think they know you.  And when Aunty and I are together we talk about you all so much that I should think your ears would burn.  Last week I went up and stayed all night with her.  We are having quite cold weather now, but very pleasant, and the roads are just splendid even though we have no sleighing.
            Last night it snowed but not enough to do any good.
            I attended church and S.S. this morning and expect to go out again tonight, notwithstanding I have a sty on my eye.  Of late I have been quite afflicted with stys and boils.   We young folks are having a real jolly time this winter, so far and I hope we may keep it up.  There have been so many parties, some in town and some in the country and at all of them we have had such nice times.  Last Friday evening we had one here in town and we all enjoyed ourselves.
            On Tuesday, we attended a “tin wedding” for one of our most esteemed young couples.  Married and young folks were both invited, we took nice presents and splendid refreshments and it was a total surprise to them but they enjoyed it and so did we all.     A few of us have organized a reading circle, which meets Saturday evening of each week and these are not only pleasant but very profitable.
            We had planned several evenings for skating during this snow (?) but I fear we have snow enough now to interfere with that.
            I have been quite busy lately getting some things ready for Christmas and making me a dress.  And this week I have a scarf to make for Roy and finish my dress.  I have embroidered two white silk handkerchiefs, one for Lee and one for Mr. Ephraim.
            My new dress is garnet silks skirts which I am making and a plush basque, which I am having made.  I had my black silk made over, and have a bronze flannel dress with hat and pelese (I don’t know that is spelled correctly) of the same.
            My hat is garnet plush with a plume the same shade and two cardinal plumes and five garnet pompoms and is quite becoming.
            Well I have been to meeting and got back again and must now endeavor to finish this.  This is not my Sunday night consequently I can go to bed early and put in a long time sleeping for tomorrow night is my night.
I went over to Pussie’s room a while this afternoon.  She is not very well today.  They are boarding at the Hotel, have a very pleasant room and I spend much of my time with her.  I miss her ever so much but being so near together we see each other several times each day, and sometimes oftener.              And are you all well and happy this winter?  Has Cousin Hannah gone home yet or does she spend the Winter with you.  We hoped she would make us a visit, but fear we are doomed to disappointment.  We have no great inducements to offer, only our sweet selves.  Warren half-promised to visit here but he never mentions it anymore so I fear he too has given it up.  But to any and all of you at any time our house and our hearts are open to receive and welcome.
            Is Blanche’s husband still at home?
            Our baby is a fine fellow.  His name is Louis after our brother who died two years ago.  He is almost seventeen weeks old, has dark blue eyes, light hair, beautiful complexion and fat as can be, and altogether a handsome baby.  Lee and Jennie went on Thursday evening to a wedding of one of Lee’s cousins at Malone, fourteen miles from here and I took care of the children.              A young lady friend of mine, and Abe stayed with me, so that after all I had a pleasant task.
            We have a Christmas Concert here next Sunday evening given by the M.E. S.S.  We do nothing I guess because we are too lazy.
            Our plants are so pretty now as many are in blossom, geraniums, heliotrope, oleander and calla.
            I am wondering what Edith as done to Mr. Gobel.  Fearing that she may be delicate about telling me all about it I shall look to you for all necessary information.   Are your Uncle Hiram’s family all well? If they have not long since forgotten all about your Iowa cousin give them all my love.  My remembrance of them is very pleasant and my visit at their home will never be forgotten.  How it rained that night and what a time we had deciding how we all should go home.  That day was the only time we had the pleasure of riding in the “democrat.”          Our girl left us last week with a very sore thumb, we have another however in her place, so we get along quite nicely.                    Minnie I could write longer but my eye pains me therefore think I had better put it to bed.                        Write to me soon and tell me all the news.  Give my love to Uncle Lonson and Aunt Mary and every one else clear down to Little Belle.  I trust you all may have a Merry Christmas, and that Santa Clause out of his exhaustless store will kindly remember you all.
                                                Yours Faithfully,
                                                            Fannie A. Ireland.












No comments:

Post a Comment