Monday, January 27, 2020

Letter: Fannie Ireland to Minnie Stilwell, April 21 1883

More info on Fannie Ireland is HERE.  And also HERE.

The following letter is addressed to Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin.  The postmark on the envelope is partially cut out and reads "Cama........ 10 A  APR 23."  I presume from Fannie's other letters, that the postmark was Camanche, Iowa.  Here is my transcription:

                                                                                      "Saturday Evening
                                                                                        April 21, 1883

My Dear Cousin,
                              A long long time has passed since last I wrote you or any of your family, but do not for a moment think that I am forgetting you.  Many many times I think of you all, but other duties than letter writing have taken up much of my time.  Scarcely can I realize that almost a year has passed since I went among you a stranger, spent two such happy weeks and came away feeling that you all were loving true friends.    Sometimes I feel that time goes all too quickly, here it is Spring again and all Nature is becoming beautiful.  I was up to Clinton three days this week with Auntie, I go up quite often and we enjoy each other very much.  While up there I had the pleasure of reading Aunt Mary's last letter, and also one just received from Cousin Hannah.   She hears from Grandma.  Uncle Ned has been quite sick and is now but little better, not yet able to be up and living only on milk punch and beef tea.
   While in Clinton, Auntie and I went to hear Rev. Joseph Cook lecture on the "Seven Modern Wonders of the World" and it was a grand production.  He is a very eloquent speaker, has travelled the wide world over and it was a genuine pleasure to sit two hours and tell of the wonders he had seen.  There have only been a very few good entertainments in Clinton this winter but few there have been I have attended.
     We are beginning to think of and dread housecleaning which will soon be all the style.  
     Nettie is still boarding and I think will continue to do so throughout the summer.  She is not strong enough to do much work so it is full as well for them to board.  Jennie and her boys are doing nicely.
     Baby Louis is too sweet for anything and improves each day.  They are so nice and I shall miss them so much when I come to leave them.
     And so Cousin Charlie has sold out and is going to take his family and "go West."  How you will miss them.  Why didn't he stop in Iowa instead of Nebraska and then possibly we might meet sometimes on the western wilds.     Minnie I think I never have told any of you of my new hopes of happiness although I see by Aunt Mary's letter that you suspect the truth.
     My heart is mine no longer.  I have given it unreservedly to a Mr. Hart for all time.  Since my return from you house last summer he has given me undivided attention, has proved in numberless ways his love, and in January last he declared his love and offered me all in this world that he had to give.  Months before this however I had decided that I never could be happy without him, so of course I said Yes.
     We are to be married in June, probably the 6th and then I go with him to his farm in Crawford Co., Iowa.
     Of course it will be somewhat hard for me to leave the girls, but after all the both married and left me all alone.
    You ask me what he looks like.  I am not good at pen photography but can give a little idea.  He is medium height, weighs 165, is thirty-three years old, light brown hair and blue eyes.  He is not handsome, but he is good and that is better far than beauty.  He is well educated, a great reader, keeps posted in all things of importance and thinks Fannie is just right.
     He is away now, has been gone about five weeks, was home two weeks ago and spent Sunday with me.  But I hardly think he will come again until he comes for me.  We expect now to be married in the day time and take the afternoon train for the West, and if so I shall just wear my travelling suit.
     I am having me an elegant new black ottoman silk suit made, dress and dolman.  My dolman is finished and truly is very handsome.  I am not going to have many dresses, a summer silk and a white and those with what I have will be plenty, my red silk and plush is just as good as new.     I have my under-clothing and bedding all done so that I shall not be so very much rushed from now on.
    And Minnie is your heart your own yet, or have you too done just as all girls sooner or later do?  Eda and her beaux still flourish I presume.  Who has inside track now Zobed or Kellogg or some entirely new one.  Does Warren still devote his time and attention to Miss Lizzie - or has he turned.  He has not answered my last letter very promptly but of course his reasons are good and sufficient.  We have commenced work a little in the garden but it keeps so cold that we cannot do much.  Two weeks ago I had quite an accident.  Abe had been here spending the evening, and on the following morning I went into the parlor to straighten things up, and while pulling up the chandelier let the whole thing down.  All the globes and chimneys were broken to pieces but only one lamp but the oil from that made a large enough grease spot. 
     One of our neighbors happened to be here and helped me in my trouble.  The carpet being brussels did not soak up the oil quite so fast as an ingrain but it took me several days to get it out so it did not show.
     Minnie tis time I was in bed so must say good night to you.  Give my warmest love to all the good folks.  Letters from any of them are always welcome.
                                                                                           As ever your loving
                                                                                                     Fannie A. I."

People mentioned in the letter:

"Auntie" who lives in Clinton, Iowa - Probably Martha (Anthony) Cady, wife of Fannie's uncle, William Cady.  They lived in Clinton, Iowa and are the only Cadys I find there at this time.

Aunt Mary - Mary K. (White) Stilwell, Minnie's mother, and sister of Fannie's grandmother, Ann Eliza (White) Cady

"Grandma" - Ann Eliza (White) Cady

Cousin Hannah - Hannah (Stilwell) Bent, sister of Minnie

Uncle Ned - Edwin R. Cady, son of Ann Eliza (White) Cady & her husband, Stephen;

Rev. Joseph Cook - philosopher and lecturer

Nettie - Fannie's sister, Marie Antoinette (Ireland) Smith

Jennie & her boys - Fannie's sister, Jennie (Ireland) Heilman and her sons, Roy and Louis

Cousin Charley - probably Charles Osborn, husband of Minnie's sister, Annette (Stilwell) Osborn

Mr. Hart - Abram P. Hart, Fannie's future husband; also referred to in this letter as "Abe"

Eda - Edith Stilwell, Minnie's sister

Eda's beaux - Zobed and Kellogg - don't know Zobed, but Edith eventually married Judson Kellogg

Warren - Warren Stilwell, Minnie's brother

Miss Lizzie - unknown girlfriend of Warren Stilwell




























No comments:

Post a Comment