Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Letter: Sara Hoyt to Minnie Stilwell, August 1883

There is no envelope with this letter.  It is dated Rosendale, August 10, 1883 and signed Sara Hoyt.  From the contents, I believe Sara was a school friend of Minnie's.  I found a Sara A. Hoyt in Rosendale, Fond du Lac Co., Wisconsin, who was born 19 July 1862 in Wisconsin and died 13 February 1924 in Sibley, Osceola Co., Iowa.  I believe this is the correct Sara.  She never married and is buried in Rosendale Cemetery, Rosendale, Wisconsin.

Others mentioned in the letter also seem to be school friends.  Jennie in Baraboo can't really be identified without a surname.  I found a couple of Mary Swifts in Wisconsin about 1880, but can't determine which one is correct based on the information in this letter.

Here is a transcription:

                                                                                             "Rosendale, Aug 10, 1883
Dear Minnie,
     I was so disappointed in not being able to see you commencement time.  I long for a good chat with you once more.
     It seems as though I had hardly had a chance to look at you since you left school and yet we have been such a little way apart all these years.  It is a perfect shame.  It must not be so any longer.  I want you to come and make me a visit without fail sometime while I am home.  I expect now to be at home until next spring.  I would like to have you come before it gets to be cold weather.  Come as soon as harvest is over if you can.
     Jennie has not returned from Baraboo yet but is expected soon.  In a week or two.  If we three could only get together once more wouldn't we have a regular visitation and I hope that time is not far distant.
     The last I heard of Mary Swift she was just able to get around a little on crutches.  I cannot find out what is the matter of her.  She has been sick for over a year.  Doesn't it seem sad & I think that I will write to her although she has owed me a letter so long.  From all I can hear I do not believe she did very well when she married.
     I am very sorry if that is the case for I think that Mary is a very nice girl and deserves a worthy husband if any one ever did.  I hope that Jennie will go to see her while she is so near.  Ironton is not a great ways from Baraboo.
     What exceedingly warm weather we had week before last and how cold and rainy it was last week.  I hop that it has cleared off for a while at least.
     I have not been very well a good share of the time since school closed.  I have been having the rheumatism quite badly but I am a good deal better now though rather week (sic).  I find that I cannot do as big a day & work this summer as I did last.
     Everyone else in the house is in bed and I suppose I ought to be there too but I dread to go.  I do not sleep very well and the nights seem long.  Let me hear from you very soon.  With love.  Sara Hoyt"




No comments:

Post a Comment