Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Letter: Edith (no surname) to Mary Elva Stilwell, Aug. 31, 1881

The author of this letter, Edith, did not include her surname.

UPDATE: Based on another letter to Mary Elva Stilwell (found HERE),  I suspect that the Edith who wrote this letter was Edith Blackman, a friend of Mary Elva's who attended Ripon College during the time Mary Elva was there.  

I found an Edith Blackman, born about 1862, in Whitewater, Wisconsin (where this letter originated).  Her parents were Charles & Mary Blackman.  She married Frank Knight Sanders in Walworth, Wisconsin on June 28, 1888.  She died 21 March 1939.


Edith seems to be a friend from Ripon College where Mary Elva went to school from about 1879-1881.  The others mentioned are probably also friends from Ripon.

In August 1881, Mary Elva Stilwell was 18 years old.


The letter is postmarked White Water, Wisc., Sep. 2, 1881.  The envelope is addressed "Miss Elva Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin."

Here is my transcription:

                                                     Hillock Home
                                                     Whitewater, Aug. 31, 1881

My dear, dear girl -
                                Dont you think you have been shamefully treated?  I do.  'Twas such a long time ago that I received you dear letter, together with your picture, which I like very much, though I do not think it as good as the original girl.  The first few weeks after coming from Ripon I did not feel very enthusiastic about doing anything.  I was so very tired, and the weather, as you perhaps remember, was somewhat warm.  Our family numbered six of a party of thirty which went to Lake Geneva for a week.  We had a very pleasant time, doing the many thins which you think of in connection with a beautiful body of water.  Since then (more than four weeks ago) we have had no help whatever and have had company all the time, so you can imagine I have kept busy.  Adding to this statement the fact that for a part of the time we have had two serving girls, you can see about how we have been situated.  I have fairly lain awake nights, trying to invent some time, and planning how I could make way with the work with greater rapidity.  Lill and Nelle have both visited us, and of course it was lovely to have them here.  We so enjoy having company.  Maude Murrell is visiting Jessie now - will go back with me next week.  It doesn't seem possible that school is to begin again so soon.  The time has passed so rapidly.  It has been lovely to have Dot so near.  You know always before she has lived six miles in the country.  She has been taking German become (?) this summer.  Poor child, she will be obliged to have four studies for two or three terms.  I don't see how she is going to do it.  The young people of our church have a club, the Y.P.B.C., organized to help raise money for our new church and Dot and I both joined.  They have their meetings once in two weeks and then sometimes extra meetings, and we have lots of fun.  They are going to meet here tonight.  They have had only three entertainments and have cleared over three hundred dollars.
     Everything in this part of the country is suffering for rain.  It has been cloudy all day, but no rain has put in an appearance.  When it does come I hope that it will cool off this weather some.
     How our poor President has suffered these long, hot months!  It seems as though he must get well.  If nothing else avails, it almost seems as if Mr. Garfield's faith would save him.  If he recovers, his administration must certainly be a very popular one.
    I wanted so much to write an essay this vacation, but I haven't gone farther than to get a subject.  I have read only four books - "The Manliness of Christ," "Little Dorrit," "Jane Eyre," and "A Noble Life."  Truly, books very unlike, yet I have enjoyed all exceedingly, though in so different ways.
     Have you seen much of Jean this vacation?   Dear old girl, I meant to write to her this vacation, but she would probably tell you that she hadn't received any word from me.  I hope that she has decided to be at the college this next year.  You are coming back aren't you?  I hope that there will be a good many new students and I understand that there have been a good many applications.  I know of five, four girls and a boy.  I hope that we will like the new matron.  Mrs. Kendall says that she has four children.  I don't see where she will put them.  I suppose that Mrs. K. has been very happy this summer with her son and daughter.     What a fine trip Mrs. Tracy and Allie have had!  They must have enjoyed it so much.  This letter isn't written remarkably straight, but tis accounted for for two reasons - I haven't any lines, and my hand shakes a little.  I forgot to say that my handkerchief came in good shape, and I am much obliged to you and to the unknown gentleman for the care that was taken of it.
Now, dear, forgive the past:
   With ever so much love
        Ever your friend
                                      Edith

*******************************************************************************













No comments:

Post a Comment