Friday, December 20, 2019

Letter: Jennie P. to Minnie Stilwell, 22 January 1882

This letter from Jennie P. does not give a surname.  She seems to be another college friend of Minnie's.

After looking further, I believe Jennie P. is Mary Jane "Jennie" Pinch, daughter of William and Jane (Hambley) Pinch and sister of Pearse Pinch, whose wife, Mary M. Pinch wrote another of the letters I have posted here.   I cannot yet prove this, but based on my research into Pearse & Mary Pinch and their family, and based on the contents of the letter below, I think I am probably correct.

Jennie Pinch was born 20 April 1858 in Rosendale, Fond du Lac Co., Wisconsin.  She died 7 September 1922 in Chicago, Illinois.  She was single and working as a music teacher.  She is buried with her parents. 

It is postmarked West Rosendale, Wis., Jan. 24, 1882 and addressed to Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin.

Here is my transcription:

                             "West Rosendale, Jan 22, 1882

Dear Minnie,
     You have remarked a dozen times ere this that I am a complete fraud, or something very similar, but now you must take it all back you darling girlie.  I have been miserably sick for a long time or - but there, I will not make any apologies or promises.  I am going to take a skip before long and make you that promised visit, just as soon as I get something decent to wear.  I have not had any new duds this winter excepting a pair of shoes and some red flannel for combination suits, the latter I find very comfortable.  I believe most women are foolishly prejudiced against woolen garments.  I have not experienced any unpleasant feelings from them, rather the oposite (sic), and certainly I have felt much better since putting them on.  I am going to make over my cashmere dress, ripped it up last September and there it has lain in the drawer ever since.  Have done some knitting and crocheting though if (sic) I have been awfully lazy.  My dainty fingers have very slowly gotten into shape five pair of fancy mittens and four thread tidies.
     Mrs. Hargrave and Alice were over here not long since, told me that you were in rather poor health.  I am so sorry and hope you are much better by this time.  You must not work to (sic) hard  I rather suspect you do.  I expect a very gay time next summer am thinking pretty strongly of going to the beautiful city of Rockford.  Uncle has been writing for me this winter but I did not feel equal to it.  Possibly I may go back to school instead.  You see I am sort of astride the fence.  I should like to sit on both sides but I can't very well be in both places at once.  How is that big brother of yours?  What a pity it is that he met his fate before seeing your humble servant.  I know you would like me for a relative.  I came very near going to Milwaukee this winter, should if it had not been for my lame back.  Had a position offered me in the Industrial School or almost.  It nearly took the breath of me away to learn that Mrs. Tracy had given me a recommend.  I never fancied myself a special favorite of hers.  Did you know that Edith Blackman was not in school this term?  Emma Perkins wrote me to that effect - said also that she, Edith, had had her lovely hair cut.  I hope she will enjoy it.  Fortunately my eyes do not require a shade if they did my locks would be a very good substitute for pasteboard.  As it is I twist them in curl papers thereby keeping them at a comfortable distance from my brown orbs.  Rec'd a letter from Sadie last week.  She is scolding.  Thinks you and I are mighty poor correspondents.  S. is learning to skate as she had a fine pair of skates given her Christmas.  I got a thimble and a paper knife.  Was old Santa good to you.  I tell you some of my cousins in R. had lovely presents.  One of them a gold watch, another a fur lined satin dolmen.  I wish I had lots of money, don't you.  Haven't written you since Pearses folks were here have I?  Minnie looks younger and healthier than she did before she was married.  The babies, Ruth and Esther are as pretty as pinks, but ugly like all young ones.  No, I'll take that part back.  Esther is good, but Ruth is a little vixen but she is very cute.  Why can't you come over to see me Minnie.  I wish you would and stay a week.  You must before the winter is over.  Mary Swift - I suppose never writes you.  Am thinking up lots of mean things to say to her.  She lives only a short distance from Baraboo so there is a chance of my seeing her sometime in the future.  Well I must write a letter to my Coz George the dearest old fellow in the whole world.  My love to your people and do not cut me off as unworthy even if I do deserve it.
                                  Lovingly, your old chum,
                                                                            Jennie P."


I did a little looking for the people mentioned, but only found Edith Blackman, who was a student in Ripon, Wisconsin per the 1880 census.  I suspect most of the people mentioned are school friends of Jennie P. and Minnie Stilwell.

"That big brother of yours" is either Minnie's brother, Lucien Stilwell, who married Julia Bristol in 1873 or Warren Stilwell, Minnie's other brother, who was not married in 1882 (as far as I can tell).

The Mrs. Tracy is probably Clarissa T. Tracy, instructor at Ripon College.

"Pearses folk" - I am pretty sure this is Pearse Pinch and his wife, Mary.  They had daughters Ruth and Esther.  Here is a link to a letter from Mary Pinch to Minnie Stilwell.



*************************************************************************



Anyway, scans of the letter follow.














No comments:

Post a Comment