Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Letter: Blanche Stilwell to Mary Elva Stilwell, September 1878

The following letter was written by Blanche (Stilwell) Munn to her sister, Mary Elva Stilwell, called "Minnie" by her family.  It is dated Sunday Sept. 18?8.  I am guessing 1878, but it could be earlier.  In 1878, Blanche was 32 and married; Minnie was 17, unmarried, and still living at home.  If it was written in 1868, Blanche would have been 22 and married about a year;  Minnie would have been 7.  Given the other people mentioned, I am guessing 1878 is the best date.

Others mentioned in the letter are:
     Nettie:  Annette (Stilwell) Osborne, sister of Blanche and Mary Elva.
     Mr. Hanchett:  John J. Hanchett
     Mother:  Mary K. (White) Stilwell
     Father: Lonson Stilwell
     Charlie:  Charles Osborne, husband of Annette "Nettie" Stilwell
     Jennie:  Jennie (Bent) Hanchett, wife of John J. Hanchett, and sister of Clarence Bent, who was
                  married to Hannah (Stilwell) Bent, another sister of Blanche and Mary Elva.
     Fannie: Frances Hanchett, daughter of John & Jennie Hanchett
     Eva: not sure who this is
     Edie: Edith Stilwell, sister of Blanche and Mary Elva
     Warren: Warren Stilwell, brother of Blanche and Mary Elva

I would love to find a copy of the photograph Blanche describes.  

The letter is addressed to: Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin and postmarked Sheyboygan, Sept. (the rest of the postmark is not legible).   A transcription follows:

"Sunday Sept. 18(?)8

Dear Little Min
     Perhaps you are wondering why I have not written since I left home & perhaps you have not given the matter a thought.  I should have done so long ago if Nettie had not come & gone to tell all there was to be told.  They have persuaded me to stay here all this week & I think by doing so I can save the expense of going part way in the cars.  Mr. Hanchett thinks he can go to F.D.Lac by next week.  I will only stay two nights there I think.  I expect you all will be impatient to have me home to make the new dresses by that time.  I have done but little besides starting (?) on my night dress yoke.  Their machine will not work at all.  Mr. H took it to pieces yesterday but it is worse now than ever.  To tell the truth I have not felt much disposition to sew.  I guess I must be kind of tired out.  By the time I get home I shall be rested.  & can begin the battle with new energy.  I think the vacation is doing me good.  I didn't know how tired I was.  I will make my underclothes evenings while I am sewing on the dresses.  Tell Mother not to scold.  I will make it all up in time.  We went to Sheboygan the day Nettie and Charlie left & sat for some pictures, Jennie & I.  Mine is splendid they all say.  We have only seen the proof.  I have ordered a dozen.  I wore my Japenere (?) silk black lace collar & had a black lace shawl over my shoulders like Fannie's (unreadable) has.  My hair looks pretty & eyes the best I ever had.  I am glad I as I don't expect to have anymore taken in a good while.  I am having a nice time.  We all went to Sheboygan yesterday for a ride.  Eva's husband came yesterday & they stayed here last night & are here today.  I do not like him a bit.  They start for home tomorrow.  Fannie got Edie's letter yesterday saying Father & Mother were thinking of coming here.  Mr. & Mrs. H both say "Be sure & come."  No matter if we have all been here.  I wish you would come while I am here.  Can't you.  If you don't come soon I am afraid you will miss coming at all.  I know they would be glad to have you.  I will write again before I go home so you will know when to write (?).  Love & kisses to all.  Hope to see Father & Mother this week.  Tell Warren Fannie is true to him.
                                                                                                      Sister Blanche"










No comments:

Post a Comment