Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Letter: Frankie Cook to Minnie Stilwell, Feb. 6, 1874

The year on this letter from Frankie Cook to Mary Elva Stilwell ("Minnie") is difficult to read.  At first, I thought the year was 1879.  However, based on the way the letter is written and the fact that Frankie got married in 1878, I believe the correct date is 1874, when Frankie was about 15 years old.











There is no envelope.  Here is my transcription:

                                 Windom, Feb. 6th, 1874

My Dear Darling Sister Minnie,

     I received your kind welcome letter about the 20th of January.  Was very very glad to hear from you, and as our folk have gone to the Good Templers Lodge, and it is so lonesome here I will try and scribble you a few lines.  You wanted to know what I got Christmas.  I did not get much but never the less will tell you what little I did get.  The first, mother gave me a rushe (sic).  And a Bible.  My Sabbath School teacher, Mrs. Perkins, gave me a large book it was real nice she gave her class all one.  And then somebody else gave a shell box and a string of beads like those of Matie's.  Oh yes the girl that sits with me a school gave me a large book and another school mate gave me a candy apple & pair (sic)  They were perfectly beautiful.  And a cornopia (sic) full of candy & pop corn   Well I believe that is all I got.  Newyears (sic).  I did not get any thing but Newyears (sic) Eve.  I went to a oyster supper and when I got home I had my pockets full of cand and had a good time but I did not see any of you girls there I could not help but miss you.  I am sory (sic) your father's health is so bad I thought that he was getting better but by the letter he wrote to mother, I am afraid he is not, but I hope he is.  Does all of the class meet there every Sunday.  I hope so.  I am ever so much oblige for those papers I got them last night we done some pretty good laughing over that paper of Mr. Bristols & Stilwells.  I go to singing school now  I did not go last Tuesday night for it was such awful walking but I expect to go to morrow (sic) night if it does not storm, but I expect it will for it has stormed every other day this last two weeks, and it was pleasant to day and so to morrow is its day.  It is good sleighing now, and there is no danger but what we will have enough snow before spring.  You spoke in your letter and said that you thought your fathers picture was splendid I think to (sic) and I am sorry that I cannot have mine taken.  Perhaps I will go to Withington (?) and get it taken.  I hope I can.  We have got Jennies I think it is real good   And oh yes Minnie your father said that when you got your picture taken again that you could give me one, but (oh dear) I don't expect it is fair to ask you for one when he gave me one of his and I have not gave him one of mine but it is not my fault.  But oh would take it and keep it, well I will now turn my subject to something else   there was a sociable here last night but I did not go.  Father was to St. James and it stormed and so they did not any of us go.  Well I have wrote all news I can think of.  Oh know (sic) there was a young couple married.  Here the woman was 16 years old and the man was 18 years old  don't you think that is a pretty age to get married   I think that they must be love cracked don't you.  Well I must close now excuse my poor writing and mistakes for my pen is very poor.  Dont let any body see this for it is awfully wrote.  Now write soon and a good long letter.
                                                               To Miss Minnie Stilwell
                                                                From
                                                                Miss Frankie Cook

It seems natural to write Miss Minnie.
P.S.  As this letter has not been sent I will write a few more words and send it.  I received a letter from your father and was very glad to hear from him    I have been counting my letters over and I have got 27 letters since I came away.  I thin, that I have done pretty well don't you   I will stop now excuse my poor writing and write soon give my love to all exspecially (sic) Grandma White.  Good Bye.                                                           Frankie

Allie & Josie has wrote Edith a letter or they call it a letter and want to send it with this I don't believe you can make them out the man that Allie has spoke of was the doc here and every one thought every think of him   He was a splendid man   The only fault with him was that gets drunk and he got on a spree and went to St Paul, then to Chicago and the to Oiho (sic) and died   Every body felt bad and so Allie thought it would be some news to you.

                              *************************************************

Persons mentioned in the letter:
Mother = Elizabeth Jane (Munn) Cook
Mrs. Perkins = unknown
Matie = a friend of Frankie & Minnie
Minnie's Father = Lonson Stilwell
Father = William B. Cook
Allie & Josie = Frankie's younger sisters, Alice and Josephine Cook
Grandma White = probably Betsey (Dennis) White, mother of Mary K White, and Minnie's maternal grandmother


No comments:

Post a Comment