Saturday, April 22, 2017

Letter from Albert Licher to his daughter, Josephine Smith, April 9, 1935

The following letter from Albert Licher to his daughter, Josephine (Licher) Smith, is currently in possession of Josephine's daughter, Bettie.  Bettie provided me with this copy.


 Here is my transcription:



Muncie, Ind.
April 9 – 1935

Josephine, Elmer and the children one and all..

We are all well and hope that you folks all have the best of health.  I thought I would send a few leaflets over as Elmer asked me some time ago about them it does not cost anything to send them to Fr. Coughlin and I think we must do something to help as long as we see nothing in the two old parties. 

John was over but he never had as much as a dime  I sure told him what I heard but he does not seem to think that he does wrong  I do not know what to think of him.  I do wish that I could make him let loose a little then I could help my loved ones when help is needed.  Well my girl come when you can   I only wish I had just some of John’s money, you would not have to worry, the mill does a little and Bill has some work but Ed and Charles have none    Warner Gear laid off 100’s men.  Let us hope for the best.  With best wishes from all at home I remain as ever Kirby Ave. Grandpa and I must not forget Grandma.

God bless you Everyone

***************

Notes:

Elmer was Elmer Smith, Josephine's husband.
Fr. Charles Coughlin was a radio personality during the 1930s.  Here is a link about him
John was probably Albert's brother, John Licher, who lived in Anderson, Indiana at this time.
Bill was Albert and Anna's son, William J. Licher, who lived with them after his divorce.
Ed was Edmund Licher, Albert and Anna's son, who was 28, not yet married, and living with them.
Charles was Charles Licher, son of William and grandson of Albert and Anna.  He also lived with his grandparents at this time.
Kirby Ave. was the street they lived on: 1413 Kirby Ave., Muncie, Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment