Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Mary Braden and her husband, William Fox




This is a long post because there is a lot quoted from probate records and chancery suits.  There is also information on individuals this couple held as slaves.  I want to especially thank Bronwen Souders for her many excellent transcriptions of Loudoun County records.  I have included some of her transcriptions in the information below.

Mary Braden was born on 22 November 1769 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, the daughter of Joseph Braden and his wife, Sarah (Wright) Braden.

She married William Fox, son of James Fox and Mary Bartleson, on 22 February 1790 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. William Fox was born about 1765 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  The marriage bond was posted by James Fox.  The bond reads:

 "Loudoun County SS: Know all Men by these presents that We William Fox & James Fox are hereby firmly bound unto his Excellency Beverley Randolph, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the full & just Sum of Fifty pounds Current Money to which payment will duly be made to the said Beverley Randolph this Sum held in Trust for said Commonwealth (unreadable) ourselves & each of (unreadable) hereby (unreadable) this 22nd day of Feb'y 1790.  The Condition of the above (unreadable) is such that whereas there is a Marriage (unreadable) between the above named William Fox and Mary Braden of Shelburne Parish, Now if there shall be a lawful cause to obstruct the said (unreadable) Marriage Then the above Obligation (unreadable).  Sealed & delivered in the presence of William H. Harding.  William Fox seal James Fox seal."

Mary was named in the deed of Elijah Houghton and Henry Astley Bennett Esq. on 1 April 1790 in Loudoun Co., Virginia:   "Indenture, 1 April 1790 between Henry Ashley Bennet Esq. of Great Britain & Elijah Horton ... 100 acres ... to Elijah Houton and natural lives of William Fox aged 25 years, his wife Mary aged 20 years and Joseph Braden aged 51 year or the longest liver of them....  Witnesses were George Muir, Isaac Richee and Joseph Braden."  This document tells us that Mary was 20 in April 1790, so means she was born before April 1770.

On 13 Sept 1790, a power of attorney was recorded at the court in Loudoun Co. giving power of attorney to "friend and father" James Fox by Lewis Foreman, Dennis Bradley, William Scott, William Fox, James Fox Jr., and Baitleson (Bartleson) Fox of Loudoun.  The power of attorney was to allow James Fox to sue Henry Baitleson (Bartleson) by virtue of the will of Baitle (Bartle) Bartleson dec'd.  It was witnessed by George Bastable and Daniel Sanford. 

William posted the bond for the marriage of his brother, Bartleson Fox, to his wife’s sister, Elizabeth Braden, on 11 February1793 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He also testified to the ages of the bride and groom.

The Loudoun Co., Land Deed books show the following land transaction: "June 1793, recorded at court 10 September 1793: Charles Earl of Tankerville and Henry Astley Bennett of Great Britain to William Fox of Loudoun.  Bill of Sale for 207 1/2 acres adjoining Christian Clymer's lane.  Witnesses: Adam Stover, W. Payne, Jacob Waltman.

Eve (born about 1787) was a slave of William Fox after 9 May 1796 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. On that date, she was sold to Fox by Abraham Barnes Thomson Mason of Loudoun.           

William Fox witnessed the will of William Myres in 1801 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He gave security during the probate of the will of Robert Wright on 19 Sep 1803 in Hampshire Co., Virginia.  William Fox witnessed the fire insurance policy of Robert Braden on 29 Apr 1805 on Braden’s  farm called "Mount Pleasant", "between the lands of Joseph Braden and that of George Warner", Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He was a witness when Joseph Braden took out his fire insurance policy on 29 Apr 1805 on “Bell Mont”, Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He also witnessed the fire insurance policy that Robert Braden and Joseph Braden took out on 29 Apr 1805 on their merchant mill, "situated between the houses of Joseph Braden and Robert Braden", Loudoun Co., Virginia.

William Fox left a will signed on 13 Dec 1809 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. In his will, William names his heirs as his wife, Mary, and his children, Mary, Francis, Alfred B., Elizabeth, and Bushrod M.   All the children were apparently under age 21.  His wife, Mary, and his brother-in-law, Robert Braden, were named executors.  The will was witnessed by Joseph Braden Jr., Cephus Fox, Charles Bennett, and John Braden.  The text of the will follows:     

“Will of      WILLIAM FOX,  Loudoun County, Virginia      December 13, 1809
[transcribed from photocopy of Loudoun Co., Virginia Will Book I, pg 121]

In the name of God Amen.
I William Fox of Loudoun County being weak of body but of Sound mind and memory and calling to mind the uncertainty of human life and being desirous to dispose of all such worldly Estate as it has pleased God to bless me with, do make and ordain and declare this Instrument of writing to be my last will and testament revoking all others.  My just Debts and funeral expenses being first paid, I give my beloved wife, Mary Fox, my Negroe [sic] man Peter, my Negroe [sic] Boy Ned and my Negroe [sic] Girl Milly to her during her natural life.  And at her death to be equally divided amongst my Children hereafter mentioned but if the aforesaid Negroe [sic] Girl Milly should have any Children it is my Will and I do hereby direct that they should have their freedom when they arrive at the age of twenty five years likewise I give to my Wife Mary Fox two horses one pair of oxen and one Cart, for Cows, eight sheep six Hogs two pair of geers[?] two ploughs one Iron toothed harrow such as she shall see proper to select out of my property.  Also my Negroe Boy Peter until my son Alfred B Fox shall arrive to the age of twenty one years.  I likewise give to my wife Mary Fox all my Household and Kitchen Furniture of every description and that it remain unsold and at her disposal except one feather Bedd [sic] and bedding to be given to each of my Children Viz. Mary Francis Alphred [sic] Elizabeth and Bushrod, when they arrive to the age of twenty one years.  I give to my son Alphred [sic] B Fox the plantation which I purchased of Asa Harris together with a part of the plantation whereon I now live to be laid off by Executors in the following manner Beginning at a black oak tree at the end of a line in Wooslleys line running west till it intersects the fence on the west side of the first field.  Thence with the said fence until it intersects a small branch from thence to Steers line  To run so as to divide the piece of timber land nearly equally thence with Steers line to the line of the land I purchased of Asa Harris so as to lay off between fifty and sixty acres of land to him his heirs and assigns forever.  Likewise I give to my son Alfred B Fox my Negroe boy Peter to him his heirs and assigns, But the above mentioned Land and Negroe is to remain in the possession of my wife Mary Fox until my son Alphred arrives at the age of twenty one years at which time he is to have full possession of both land and Negroe, but if the said Alphred should dye [sic] before he arrives at the age of twenty one years leaving no lawful issue It is my will that that part of the land which I purchased of Asa Harris should be sold by my Executors hereafter named and the money arrising [sic] from the sale thereof together with the aforesaid Negroe Boy Peter to be equally divided between my three Daughters Viz Mary Frances & Elizabeth and that part or piece of land taken from the plantation whereon I now live and annexed to the plantation above mentioned shall then and in such case fall back and be attached to the plantation if formerly was and be my son Bushrod M Fox and his heirs and assigns forever.  I give to my son Bushrod M. Fox the plantation whereon I now live (except the part taken off for my son Alphred) to him his heirs and assigns forever But to remain in the possession of my wife Mary Fox until he arrives to the age of twenty one years.

I give to my Daughter Mary Fox one thousand Dollars to be paid to her by my Executors when she arrives to the age of twenty one years to be raised out of my personal Estate to her heirs and assigns forever.  I give to my Daughter Frances Fox one thousand dollars to be paid to her by my Executors when she arrives at the age of twenty one years to be raised out of my personal estate to her heirs and assigns forever.  I give to my Daughter Elizabeth Fox one thousand dollars to be paid to her by my Executors when she arrives to the age of twenty one years to be raised out of my personal estate to her, her heirs and assigns forever.  It is my will that my wife Mary Fox remain and have possession of the Dwelling house and plantation whereon I now live to use occupy possess and enjoy the same untill [sic] my son Bushrod M Fox is twenty one years of age, likewise the rents and profits arising from the plantation I have willed to my son Alphred B Fox until he arrives at the age of twenty one years (except such part as will be hereafter excepted, which rents and profits is to be applied towards Clothing supporting and Schooling my Children heretofore mentioned in so much thereof as will be sufficient for that purpose the balance if any to be my wife's to dispose of as she may see proper.  It is my will that if my wife Mary Fox shall remain And be a Widow at the time that my son Bushrod M Fox shall arrive at the age of twenty one years that then and in such case she is to keep possession of one third part of the dwelling house and to have one third part of whatever the farm willed to my son Bushrod M Fox will rent for the rent to be valued by three disinterested persons to be paid to her yearly and every year during her life or so long as she remains my widow but no longer.  But if my son Bushrod M Fox should dye [sic] before he arrives at the age of twenty one years It is my will that my wife Mary shall remain in possession of the plantation willed to said Bushrod untill the period shall arrive when he should have been of the age of twenty one years, and after that time to have possession of the one third part as before mentioned in the same manner and on the same principles as if he should continue to live.  It is my will that should there not be the sum of three thousand Dollars raised from the sales of my personal Estate to pay the Legacies of my three Daughters Viz Mary Francis and Elizabeth as before stated that it shall be made up out of the rents arising from the plantation willed to my son Alphred.  It is my will and I do hereby direct my Executor that if in their opinion it shall appear hereafter that any of my children herein before mentioned shall not receive sufficient support Clothing or schooling from their Mother that Then and in that case they shall draw out of the profits arising from the aforesaid farm a sum sufficient to answer the purpose of Schooling Clothing and Supporting them in a manner they shall think proper and reasonable.  It is my will that should my son Bushrod M Fox dye [sic] before he arrives at the age of twenty one  years  leaving no lawful issue and my son Alphred should be then living that then and in that case my son Alphred B. Fox shall take possession of and have the plantation whereon I now live which I have willed to my son Bushrod M Fox on the same terms and under the same restrictions that I have willed it to my son Bushrod and that the said Alphred shall then relinquish all claims to that part of the plantation willed to him which I purchased of Asa Harris and that the same be sold by my Executors and the money arising from the sale thereof be divided in like manner between my three Daughters Mary Francis & Elizabeth as if my son Alphred B Fox had died before he arrived at the age of twenty one years.  I give to my Daughter Mary Fox one share of fifty dollars in the Leesburg turnpike Company.  I give to my Daughter Francis Fox one share of fifty dollars in the Leesburg Turnpike Company.  I give to my Daughter Elizabeth Fox one share of fifty Dollars in the Leesburg turnpike company.  I give to my son Alphred B. Fox one share of fifty dollars in the Leesburg turnpike Company which share is to be paid out of my personal estate, but the shares left to my three Daughters is to be considered in part of their Legacy, and lastly I appoint my loveing [sic] wife Mary Fox and my friend Robert Braden and Conrad[?] Balzer Executrix and Executors of this my last will and testament and I do likewise appoint my two sons Alphred B Fox and Bushrod M Fox should they live until they arrive to the age of twenty one years to be Executors with those above mentioned of this my last will revoking all former wills by me heretofore made ratifying and confirming this to be my last will and testament.  As Witness my hand and Seal this thirteenth day of December one thousand eight hundred and nine 1809.

     William Fox (seal)
Signed Sealed
publish'd and
performed in
presence of
Jos Braden Jr
Cephus Fox
Charles Bennett Junr
John Braden

At a Court held for Loudoun County February 12th 1810 This Will of William Fox deceased was proved by the oaths of Cephus Fox, Charles Bennett and John Braden witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Mary Fox Executrix and Robert Braden Executor therein named who made oath according to law and together with James Moore, John Braden, David Reese and Archibald Means their securities entered into and acknowledged their Bond in the penalty of nine thousand dollars with condition as the law directs Certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form and liberty is reserved the other Executors to join in the probate thereof when they shall think fit and become of age.

     Teste  C. Binns  C.L.C.”

William Fox died between 13 December 1809 when he made his will and 12 February 1810 when his estate was entered into probate in Loudoun County.  Mary was named heir and executrix of her husband’s estate.

Mary Fox was named as an heir in the will of her father, Joseph Braden on 27 February 1810 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Her father died between 27 February 1810, when he made his will and 11 June 1810, when his estate was entered into probate.

At an estate sale of her father's personal property held 22 June 1810, Mary bought: 1 bee hive, 2 hogsheads, 1 black & white cow, 1 black & white heifer, 4 yearlings, 1 round table, 1 tackle[?], 1 cot, and 1 "Negro girl Harriet." Harriet (--?--) was a slave of Mary Braden after 22 Jun 1810 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

As executor of the estate of her husband, William Fox on 11 Feb 1811 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, she (along with her brother, Robert Braden, the other executor)  turned in the following  to the court: 

"Memorandum of Bonds and Notes due the Estate of William Fox, Dec'd, Feby. 1811:  Isaac Hough, Note for $400; Joseph Bradens,  Debt 400; Joseph Bradens, Debt  20.00; Robert Braden  250.00; John Braden  120.00; Jozabed White, Debt 100.00; Ebles Jenkins  58.30; Ezra Fox, Debt  28.00; Ezra Fox, Debt  50.00; Ezra Fox Debt 14.73; Abiel Janners 28.00; Mahlen Janney Jr   10.56; Dublin Bezett $12;  total  1491.64."

On 4 June 1814, the executors of Mahlon Janney deeded land to Mary Fox consisting of  Lot 61 on Second and Janney Streets in Janney's New Addition, Waterford, Loudoun Co., Virginia. She purchased it for $53.00.

Mary’s mother, Sarah (Wright) Braden died between 15 March 1816 (the date of her will) and 7 March1817  (the date it was probated) in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Mary was named as an heir in the will .

George (born about March 1818) was a slave of Mary Fox in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Between 24 September 1819 and 1 January 1825 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, Mary served as Executrix of her deceased husband's (William Fox) will along with Executor, Robert Braden (her brother).

Elizabeth (born 25 December 1820) was a slave of Mary Braden in Loudoun Co., Virginia. 

Mary was paid $125 by Robert Braden for boarding their nephew, Flavius J. Braden, for 18 months on 1 January 1821 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Flavius was the son of their deceased brother, Dr. Joseph Braden.

Mary was one of the heirs of her son, Bushrod Mason Fox , after his death between 1822 and 1823. 

On 21 May 1823, Mary’s son-in-law, George W. Henry, bought a 103 acre farm from Jozabed and Margaret White for $3,600.  This property adjoined Mary Fox, Matthew Beans, P. Cordell, and S. Gregg.  Robert Braden and Samuel Hough, Jr. were the Justices of the Peace who recorded it.

Amelia (born May 1823) was a slave of Mary Fox in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

George Henry owed Jozabed White $1,416.64, so on 30 September 1823, he sold 103 acres of the farm adjoining Mary Fox, Matthew Beans, Presley Cordell, and Samuel Gregg (that he bought from White) to Zachariah Dulaney and Burr Braden.  R. Braden and Samuel Hough were the Justices of the Peace recording the deed.

On 1 January 1825 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, an accounting of the estate of William Fox was filed by executors, Robert Braden and Mary Fox  (found in Loudoun Co., Virginia Will Book P, pages 287-289).  It shows payments to the following heirs of William Fox:  David Shawen ( his wife’s legacy);  George W. Henry (his wife’s legacy).  It also states the following:  

“In pursuance of an Order of Court to us directed We have proceeded to Settle the Estate a/c of William Fox dec'd with his Executor & Exect'x and find that the balance due the Estate on a former Settlement as above states has been paid to the different [sic] Legatees agreeably to the above statement as appears by Rec'ts to us Exhibited.  We have likewise Examined and stated the proceeds of a tract of Land Containing 80 acres & 36 poles which amounted to the sum of $3951.08 and a negro boy Peter sold for $450---------  Amounting to the sum of 4401.08 for which the above mentioned bonds & notes were given & find the a/c as above---  It appears that the aforesaid tract of Land & Negro Boy were sold in conformity to a Clause in the testators Will by which he bequests this said Land and Negro Boy to his son Alfred but directs that if the said Alfred should die without Lawful issue before he arrives to the age of twenty one that the said tract  of Land and Negro Boy should be sold by his Exors and the proceeds thereof divided equally between his 3 daughters and the said Alfred having Dec'd without Lawful Issue before he arrived at that age the Exor's proceeded to sell the said Land & Negro Boy as before stated.  Given under our hands this 1st day of January 1825.                                     Jn'o Schooley
               J. Hough

    Waterford  March 17th 1824
Mary Fox is charged in the within a/c with one Sixth of the am't of the sale of the Land and Negro to which she is by Law entitled And  therefore hereby acquits her from the payment of the same and every part thereof of the said Sixth part amounting principal and Interest on the 1st day of January 1823 to the sum of Eight hundred twenty Eight dollars & forty four cents -   Witness our hands & seals               David Shawen                                     George Henry

Teste
Noble S. Braden
Isaac Walker                                                              At a Court held for Loudoun County May 9th 1825 This Estate a/c was returned and continued for Exceptions till the next Term and at another Court held June 17th 1825 The same was ordered to be recorded.
                                                                              Teste  C. Binns CC.”

Emily (born August 1825) was a slave of Mary Fox in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

On 28 January 1826, Mary Fox deeded land to Susan Burns consisting of Lot 61 in Janney's New Addition, Waterford, Loudoun Co., Virginia. She sold the lot for $95.00.

Hetty (born 25 December 1826) was a slave of Mary Fox  in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Mary (Braden) Fox left a will signed on 27 Feb 1828 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. The will reads as follows:

"[noted along side of page:] The last Will & Testament of Mary Fox deceased:

I  Mary Fox of the County of Loudoun and State of Virginia do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following, that is to say,

First, I will and devise to my grandson, William C. Shawen all my right and title to the plantation whereon I now live togeather [sic] with the land I purchased of the executor of William Fox dec'd formerly called Harris farm, to him the said William C. Shawen his heirs and assigns forever also one half of my personal estate after the payment of the legacies hereafter mentioned.

Secondly - I give and devise to my granddaughter America Henry the proffits [sic] of the farm I purchased of Robert Braden now occupied by Peter Cooper for and during her natural life, then to her heirs forever together with all my real property in the town of Waterford, consisting of two houses and lots to her the said America Henry and her heirs forever also one half of my personal estate after the following legacies are paid off.  My Executor hereafter named is authorized at any time he thinks proper to sell the aforesaid houses and lots in the town of Waterford and place the income at interest for the use of the said America if he should be of opinion that her interest would be thereby advanced, provided however on the specific condition that the said America Henry transfers all her claim and interest in and to the plantation on which I now live, to William C. Shawen his heirs and assigns forever, but if the said America Henry shall refuse or neglect to convey all her interest in and to the said plantation to the said William C. Shawen when he shall arrive at the age of twenty one years, then and in that case my will and desire is and I do hereby will and devise the before mentioned plantation, my real property in the town of Waterford all the half of my personal estate (all which I had willed [?] as above mentioned to the said America Henry) to go to the said William C. Shawen his heirs and assigns forever.

Thirdly - I will and devise to the said William C. Shawen and America Henry, one bed, bedstead and bedding and one bundle [?] each and desire that my Executors will select from among my beding [sic] Four [unreadable] counterpanes six quilts, four double coverlids [sic], twenty sheets, four blanketts [six] and all my silver plate and divide the beding [sic] and silver plate coqualty [sic] between my said grand children, when the shall respectively arrive at the age of twenty-one years and give them the use of said Beds & bedding at any time and all times when it may be necessary, when boarding out or otherwise.  And I hereby will and direct that in case the said William C. Shawen or America Henry should depart this life before they arrive at the age of twenty-one years, or have lawful issue that then in that case, the survivor of them shall inherit the estate devised to them both and if it should happen that the said William C. Shawen & America Henry both depart this life before either of them arrive at the age of twenty-one years or have lawful issue that then I will and devise the whole of my estate both real and personal, except the legacies hereafter mentioned, to my Brothers & sisters who shall be living at the time of my decease, and the children of my brothers and sisters then deceased the said children to have the share their parents would have been entitled to if living and my executor is hereby authorized to sell the whole of my estate both real and personal except the legacies hereafter mentioned to my brothers and sisters then living and the Children of my brothers and sisters that are dec'd.  It is my will and desire that neither the said William C. Shawen, nor America Henry is to have any part of my estate which I have willed to them until they arrive at the age of twenty one years except [unreadable] part of the rents of the lands, and Waterford property and interest of the personal estate not particularly devised and divide the interests on all monies and all rents equally between my grand Children aforesaid.  It is my will and desire that so soon after my decease as my executor conveniently can that he will hire out my negro man Peter and Ned by the year for two years and at the expiration of that time to divide the hire received equally between Peter, Ned, Harriet, & Milly and emancipate them all, all the children of Harriet & Milly except John & George who are to be hired out until they respectively arrive at the age of twenty one years, when I desire that they may be emancipated, and the whole of the negroes at the respective times they are emancipated, advised to leave the State of Virginia unless there should be in existence at the time they are emancipated no law subjecting them to any penalty.  I give my kitchen furniture & one cow to negro Milly.  I give and bequeath to my nieces Delila Fox so long as they [sic] shall remain unmarried the sum of forty dollars per annum, and at my decease one bed, bedstead and necessary bedding. I give and bequeath unto my nephew William Fox (son of Cephus Fox dec'd.) one hundred dollars to be paid to him when he arrives at the age of twenty one years the int. on that sum to be paid annually commencing at my decease I desire that my Executor will at his own option use five hundred dollars a part of the estate of William C. Shawen in any manner he may think proper for the advantage of said William C. Shawen.  And lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my brother John Braden Executor of this my last Will and testament.  In Witness where of I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 27th day of February 1828.
                                   Mary Fox  seal

Signed, sealed, published and declared by Mary Fox and for her last Will and Testament in the presence and hearing of us who at her request and in her presence have subscribed our names as witnesses, [unreadable] before signing,       Presley Cordell & Mary E. Braden

At a Court held for Loudoun County August 15th 1828    A paper purporting to be the last Will and Testament of Mary Fox dec'd was presented to the Court & proved by the Oaths of Presley Cordell and Mary E. Braden and ordered to be recorded    And there upon John Braden the Excr therein named came into Court and refused to qualify as such and thereupon on the motion of John Braden and John Wright who made oath as adminrs and who together with Nathan Gregg, Jno Worsley, Noble S. Braden and John [unreadable], their securities entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of twelve thousand dollars conditioned according to law Certificate is granted them for obtaining letters of administration on the estate of said Mary Fox dec'd with the said Will annexed in due form
[unreadable]                                   Teste  C.Binns Clk. "

Mary (Braden) Fox died about July 1828 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  She must have died after writing her will in February and before her estate was probated on 15 August 1828.

From Mary’s estate records, we have the names of the following individuals who were her slaves:  Milly (born about 1793) ; John (born about 1807);  Peter; Ned (born about 1792); and Harriet.  Other documents mention twins Ellen and Frances born in May 1831 (after Mary Fox’s death) who were daughters of Mary’s slave, Milly.

Mary (Braden) Fox was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 September 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. About  November 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, the following survey was filed in the county court house and titled:  "Survey division of Mrs. Fox's farm in the County of Loudoun called the home Farm."  (November or December 1832 Sketch of farm, scale 50 poles to the inch.  Transcribed from Chancery Suit   M2193: Henry GW vs Fox's admrs by Bronwen C. Souders, Waterford Foundation, October 16, 2002.  Many thanks to Bronwen Souders for this transcription.  This is pretty complex, so I will just include it all.)

Lot No A Alloted to George W Henry:

Beginning at A where the Road from Waterford to John Braden's crosses a branch & in a  line of Isaac E. Steer,
Thence with the said Road S 58 ¾ W 34 poles 10 links to B, a white oak on the NW side of sd road,
Thence S48 ¾ W24 poles 17 ½ links to C a large gum tree on a bank, on the SE side of sd road
Thence S45 ½ W 72 poles to D a flat stone on the SE side of sd road & near the Gate
Thence leaving the road & with a line of Fence S45 E62pole 7 ½ links to E the southE corner of the Orchard fence
Thence N50 ½ E17 poles 10 links to F a stake, at the NE corner of the Orchard fence
Thence N 32 ¾ E 8 poles 22 ½ links to G a stake in the laine [sic] leading from the barn by the spring house & opposite the upper or westwardly gate poast [sic]
Thence down the center of the lain [sic] S 84 E 13 poles to a stake and pile of stone in sd laine near the spring house [H is not cited in original for this lot, BCS]
Thence N 34 ½ E 13 poles to I a stake in a flat or low piece of ground
Thence S 42 ½ E 79 poles to K a stake & pile of stones in the Patent line of Tankerville
Thence with the same N 45 25' E 84 poles 5 links to L a stake in said line & corner to Israel Steer
Thence with Steer's line N 44 10'W 139 poles 15 links to the first station containing 95 ½ acres.

Lot No 2 Alloted to William C. Shawen

Beginning at A, a corner to No 1 & in a line of I.E. Steer where the road from Waterford to Jno Braden's fulling mill crossed a branch,
Thence with the road & No. 1 S 58 ¾  W 34 poles 10 links to B, a white oak near the top of a hill on the NW side of said road,
Thence S 48 ¾ W 24 poles 17 ½ links to C a large gum tree on a bank on the SE side of sd road
Thence S 45 ½ W 72 poles to D a flat stone on the SE side of sd road and near the gate
Thence leaving the rd S 45 E 62 poles 17 ½ links to E the SE corner of the orchard fence
Thence N 50 ½ E 17 poles 10 links to F a stake at the NE corner of the orchard
Thence N 32 ¾ E 8 poles 22 ½ links to G a stake in the laine,
Thence down the laine S 84 E 13 poles to H a stake in sd laine near the Spring house
Thence N 34 ½ E 13 poles to I a stake in a flat
Thence S 42 ½ E 79 poles to K a stake and pile of  stones in the patent line and corner to No 2
Thence leaving Lot No 2 and with the Patent line S 45 25' W 100 poles 7 ½ links to M a white in or near sd patent line and corner to Jno Worsely and Robt Braden and now Nathan Gregg
Thence with Gregg's line N44 W 187 ½ poles to N a planted stone between two black oaks, a corner to Gregg in a line of Lambert Myers
Thence with a line of sd Myers & Mrs. Sullivan N 45 55" [sic] E 183 poles 15 links to O a planted stone a corner to Mrs. Sullivan and Isaac E. Steer
Then with sd Steers line S 44 10"[sic] E 47 ¼ poles to the first station containing 119A 3 rods & 28 P
Jno J Mathias SLC Oct 30 & 31, 1832

Andrew S. Anderson, SCC
William Fitzsimmons, SCC

By virtue of an order of the Honorable superior court of Law and Chancery holden for the County of Loudoun the 29th day of September 1832 in which order George W. Henry is Plft and John Braden and John Wright administrators of Mary Fox dec'd are deft we the subscribers three of the commissioners appointed in said order to divide the tract of land in said order mentioned attended on said land on the 30th and 31 days of October 1832 together with the surveyor of this county and after having ascertained the out boundaries &c proceed to divide the same according to the____ plat & report. Given under our hands and seals this ___ day of ____ 1832.
                              Isaac E. Steer SEAL
                              Henry Russell SEAL
                              Joseph Wood SEAL"

Cost attending the division:
Surveyor's fees:          $15.80
3 commissioners 2 days each
at $2/day                 12.00
2 chain caries 2 days each
at $1 per day                          4.00
                    $31.80.         

The following notes made by the lawyer, B. W. Harrison, relate to George W. Henry's chancery suit against the administrators of Mary (Braden) Fox's estate.  It is transcribed as follows:  "The first and principal question in this cause which is a friendly suit exhibited from       and perhaps _________ __ caution   is as to the Right of Complaint to tenancy by the curtesy.  The facts presenting the question are these.

Bushrod Fox was        of an estate in Fee derived by         from his father.   His mother was still living and entitled to hold the estate till her son should be of age that is til Nov 1827.
On 1822 or 23 Bushrod an infant died leaving a sister Mrs. Henry a____  _____ and Wm C. Shawen  ____________ his heirs.  His mother being included under the article? As the estate came from the father.
Mrs. Henry died in 1825 while the chattel interest of Wm Fox continued.
Under these circumstances it is extended for the husband that there being no freehold estate between the ______ of his wife and the possession that the possession of Mrs. Fox is her/has? Possession.
That share ____is outstanding a chattel interest which prevents the husband from taking immediate possession as possession during the _____
That first freehold estate is in the wife that this is regarded and a ____ as to give a right to husband to tenancy by the curtesy.  Because in the language of ____ he could by no industry attain to any other _____
Where in such case is the first vested freehold estate/  It is not in abeyance.  It must be cast on the wife and she is in a vested estate of Inheritance atho not to be enjoyed in the prsuancy? Of the ____ ____year or two.
See the sections?? _____ coke?? 646-647.648.&  ___ of  ___ to those pages & see Astk 469.
2nd  The next question which my client wishes submitted is agt him-He imagines? He was entitled to ½ of the Negroes devised to Wm Fox to his 5 children as 3 of the 5 are dead,unmarried &intestate & infants.
I say not so but as he wished it I submit the question-I imagine the interest in the slaves they are included in those given to Mrs. Fox for life as an interest vested with  5 children altho to be enjoyed in future.
That being vested in the death of Mary Fox Jr. her brother comes in for a child as fifth part of Mary's on the death of Alfred the same result follows-she comes in for a ¼ of Alfred and on the death of Bushrod for 1/3 of his-
That David Shawen as husband of Frances is entitled to 1/5 her part-to 1/5 of Mary's part & ¼ of Alfred's -this  ___Wm C to 1/3 of Bushrod as Mrs. Shawen died before Bushrod.
That __  Chart? The complt is entitled to 1/5 in right of his wife  1/5 of Mary/s share  ¼ of Alfred & 1/3 of Bushrod [to p. 3]
3rd  I presume there can be as little difficulty about the property? Of the rent and ____ of the farm. That from 1827 Nov 1/3  ___ to Mrs. Fox 1/3 to Henry & 1/3 to Wm C. Shawen & at the death [of?] Wm Fox ½ to Henry & ½ to Wm C. Shawen.
The greater difficulty is as to Wm C. Shawen.  It is to his interest to take under his grandmothers Mrs. Fox's will.  But he cannot under & agt it & yet he is not of age to make his election.
4th  As to the various accts necessary?
One of the hires  to be made by Mrs. Fox advisers? With the will annexed
One of the rests by her & by them need to be made by same
Then the order of division of slaves & partition ordered
                    Respectfully submitted
                         BW Harrison

Rough draft of proposed _____ is herewith submitted

ON REVERSE: Summary:
Henry vs Fox's Admrs
Note of Complt Counsel
The ___ should be modified so a ballot to the Pltf __ ____ without interfering further with the will of Mary Fox.  Leaving it to her devisees ______come of age to ___-whether they will abide by the will or not.  If it is indispensable ____ ____should be now made ____  _____ should be made to enable to court to elect for the Infants."

On 22 February 1833, Washington Myers gave the following affidavit in Loudoun Co., Virginia regarding the chancery suit between George Henry and the executors of Mary Fox.  It follows:  "Henry, GW vs Fox's Admrs , Chancery M-2193  Affidavit of Washington Myers, 22 February 1833  (Transcribed from Loudoun County Chancery papers by Bronwen C. Souders, Education Committee, Waterford Foundation, September 27, 2002)

The affidavit of Washington Myers taken at the office of F. W. Lucketts in Leesburg on the 22nd day of February 1833 to be used in the suit now depending in the Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery for the County of Loudoun in which George W. Henry is Plaintiff and John Braden and John Wright Administrators with the Will annexed of Mary Fox Dec'd and others are defendants the case being open from day to day from the 29th November 1832.

The affidavit being first qualified saith as follows:
1. Question by Deft Braden. Did your father ever hire Ned, a slave who was the property of Mary Fox dec'd? If so, in what year and at what price?
2. Ans: He [ie, Washington Myers] did, in the year 1824, at $40.

3. Q by same: Are you or not acquainted with the family of Negroes of whom Mary Fox died possessed?  If so, will you please to state how many there are-their characters age and sex as far as you know?

4. Ans. I am acquainted with them-there is a Woman and either seven or eight children I don't recollect which-there are two males-one about 14 or 15 years old-the other about 17 or 18 or 19-I cannot be certain that all the rest are females, but believe they are---one of the females I think is the oldest child-the rest are younger-the two youngest are twins, about two years old.

5. Q. by same: What do you think this Woman and her 7 or 8 children had been worth from the year 1828, the death of Mary Fox, to this time?
  
6. Ans: I don't think they have been worth more than their victuals and clothes and I doubt whether they have been worth that, I would not have given it for them.

1. Q by plaintiff.  For the last four years, has the oldest child who is a female, been able to do a woman's work or not?

Ans: I think she has.

Q by same: What do you suppose John, who is the oldest boy, was annually worth, the last four years?

Ans: I suppose he would be worth about half the price of a man.

Q by same:  What do you think the youngest boy was worth during the same time?

Ans: I don't think he was worth more than five dollars per annum.

Q by same:  Do you or do you not, believe the two oldest girls ___ment to the two boys, were worth their victuals and clothes for the last four years or not?

Ans: I don't think they were-the oldest might have been.

Q by same:  You say that you are acquainted with Milly, the mother Washington Myers of those children, was she or not considered a very capable house servant.

Ans:  She is, I believe as capable as any Woman I know.

Q by same: Do you or not believe that Milly and two of her children were worth their Victuals-and do you or not thing they now have been put out for that?

Ans:  They might have been.

Q by defendants: What would a cabin and firewood for that woman and her children be worth annually for the last four years?  Ans: I should suppose about $25.

Q by plaintiff: Where has Milly lived since Mrs. Fox's death?
Ans: Part of the time in a house of John Worsely [sic] and the balance of the time in a house of Elizabeth Sullivan.
                         And further saith not
                         Washington Myers

The affidavit of John Nichols who being first sworn saith:
1. Q by Defendants:  Did you ever hire Ned a slave formerly belonging to Mary Fox now Dec'd? If so, in what year and at what price?
2. Ans: I did, I think in the year in which Mrs. Fox died-and to the best of my recollection I was to give thirty five dollars and if he was sick the time was to be deducted.
 i. And further saith not
1. Jonah Nichols

The affidavit of John Potter, who being first sworn saith:

Question by Defendants:  Do you know whether or not the Plaintiff in this suit ever rec'd the slaves left by Mary Fox dec'd? If so, will you please state ? and state all you know about it?

Ans: In the year 1831 in the early part of the year.  W. Henry, the Pltf came to my house one Saturday evening, I think, after dark, and asked me if Ned (one of the slaves alluded to above) who had a wife at my house ) was there; I told him he was and had him called. W. Henry said a good deal to him, which I do not now recollect, but I heard him tell him he must be down on Monday morning to his work.
                              And further saith not
                              John Potter

[comment by Bronwen Souders:  Souders records indicate one John Potter living in the village in 1830, heading a household of himself aged 50-60; a female 15-20, and a female aged 40-50.  He had 8 slaves: 2 Males< 10, 3 females < 10, 2 females 10-24, and one female 55-100.  Ina chancery document dated about 1833, Ned's age was adjudged to be "40 or 45":  it seems most likely that the oldest slave woman in the Potter household might be his wife, the women in their twenties possibly his daughters and the children his grandchildren. We have only one other entry for Potter; he is listed in the Genius of Liberty of 26 July 1834 as being president of the celebrations of the 4th of July in Waterford .  The chancery records mention Ned's going "to Ohio" some time prior to 1835: conceivably Potter moved and Ned went with his family or Ned was freed to avoid payment to Plaintiff George W. Henry's lawsuit against the Administrators of Mary Fox : in Henry's deposition of October 31, 1833, he stated: This respondent further states that he denies the allegations that Negro Ned obtained his registration in due form in the county Court of Loudoun & went off within the privity?? Or participation of the said Complts asserting as he does that said Complts or one of them assisted & aided? Said Ned as to his course and connived? At the least    his registration & departure.]


Washington Myers claims…$0.53
Jonah Nichols……………….0.53
John Potter…………………..0.53
Commissioner's fee
 (2 40/60 hours 2.00
                  0.18 ---            $2.18
                        $3.77."


In a court record dated on 1 Mar 1833 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, the following sworn testimony was recorded:  "The affidavits of sundry witnesses taken at the office of F. W. Luckett in Leesburg pursuant to adjournment on the first day of March 1833 to be used as evidence in the suit now depending in the circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery for the county of Loudoun in which George W. Henry Etc. is Plaintiff and John Wright and John Braden Admr with the will annexed of Mary Fox dec'd and others are defendants.

The examination of James Sanders who being first sworn, saith:

Question by Pltff Counsel: Are you acquainted with the slaves devised by Mary Fox dec'd and which are the subject of this suit, if so, will you state how many there are, their respective ages, and their annual value during the four years past.

Answer:  I was called upon by G.W. Henry to examine those Negroes.  I saw seven of them-Mary Ann, John, Elizabeth, Amelia, Hetty or Hester, Eleanor and Frances-Mary Ann I suppose is about 22 years old-John about 20-Elizabeth about 12-Amelia about 10, Hetty or Hester about 6-and Eleanor and Frances (twins) about two years old.  These were the ages represented to me as well as I could judge they are about correct.  As to their annual value, I think Mary Ann was worth $26.23 per year; John $35 per year; Elizabeth and Amelia I think were about worth their victuals and clothes; Keeping Hetty or Hester for the last four years I should allow $100-Milly, the mother of those children, with the twins were about worth their victuals and clothes.

Question by same:  what is the actual present value of those slaves, considering them as slaves until they arrive at the age of 25 years.
Ans:  John I should supposed to be worth $150; Mary Ann $70; Elizabeth and Amelia together about $280; Hester $100, the twins Eleanor and Frances about $100.
                              And further saith not
                              James Saunders

The examination of Robert Moffatt who being first sworn, saith:

Question by Pltff Counsel: Did you view those slaves above mentioned associated with James Saunders and others, with a view to estimate their actual and their annual value? Ans: I did.

Question by same: Had you or not known those slaves formerly?
Ans: I had known the older ones, and have frequently seen some of the younger ones.

Question by the same: Will you say whether or not these are the slaves devised by Wm. Fox to Mary Fox during her life?
Ans: I believe the older ones are, the rest the children of Milly have been born since the death of William Fox.

Q. by same:  What is your estimate of the actual and annual value of the seven named in James Saunders affidavit? And their ages?
Ans:  The same that W. Sanders has stated, subject to the same allowance for supporting the young ones, as by him stated.

Question by same:  Have you any knowledge of other slaves devised by the same William Fox dec'd besides those seven above alluded to? If so, please name them, their respective ages and their actual and annual value?
Ans:  I have a knowledge of three  others-Ned, Milly and George-four past years, I consider Ned to have been worth $55 per year for the two first  years-and for the two last $60 per year.  I speak with some precision because I have been in the habit of hiring myself and have some recollection of the prices, supposing him to have been a slave for life, as I have understood he was.  I should estimate his actual value now at $275, I considered him a first rate farm hand.  Milly-for the four years, considering she was two years encumbered with twins-I think was about worth her victuals and clothes, including the victuals and clothes of the two children.

The two children are Eleanor and Frances above spoken of.  The actual value of Milly, considering she is a slave for life, as I have understood she is, I should estimate at about $100.  She is now, I think, between 40 and 45 years of age.

George, another of Milly's children, is about 15 years old, for the two first of the four years last past, I should supposed George was for $10 per year-and for the two past years, about $15 per year.  Regarding him as a slave until he becomes 25 years old, I should estimate his present actual value at $200.

Q by same: What is the general appearance of his family of Negroes?
Ans: They are a very sprightly, likely, set, and apparently healthy.

Question by same: Have you been in the habit of attending to the hires and value of Negroes?
Ans: I have for the last 10 or 15 years, hiring, buying and selling.

Commissioners fee 2 ¼ hrs $1.68 ¾           And further saith not
                                   Robert Moffett

The foregoing affidavits of James Sanders and Robert Moffett were taken subscribed and sworn to at the time and place set forth in the caption before.  H.W. Luckett Com.

The affidavit of Thomas R. Saunders taken on the 11th day of March 1833 pursuant to adjournment, who being first sworn saith that he viewed the slaves mentioned in the affidavit of James Saunders, with the same James Saunders and Robert Moffit [sic] and is of the same opinion of the said James in relation to the value and annual value of the said slaves-that he never saw them before and was not acquainted with them, but from the view he had of them he perfectly accords with the opinion expressed by James Saunders and Robert Moffett as to their ages and characters and appearance.
All taken for Plaintiff                         and further saith not
                                   Thos R. Saunders
The above affidavit taken subscribed and sworn to before me
Commissioners fee 20 cents                    H.W. Luckett Com.

Since the foregoing affidavits were taken, I have ascertained there is another girl named Milly, aged 8 years, a child of Milly, which is admitted by the admrs, Sanford J. Raimy. [sic] and John War? Have valued her at $100 and I have value her at the same in my statement. H.W. Luckett Com."

On 14 May 1833 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, John Wright and John Braden (Mary Fox's brother), as "administrators of her estate with the will annexed," filed an account with Loudoun Co. Court regarding Mary Fox's estate which mentions payments to Delilah Fox and George W. Henry as heirs and indicates that estate still holds a house in Waterford, Virginia.  The accounting lists numerous payments.

Mary (Braden) Fox's brother, John Braden, and also John Wright, as administrators of her "estate with will annexed," filed an account with Loudoun Co. Court regarding Mary Fox's estate for the period from April 1833 to Jan 1, 1835.  In 1833, the estate still owned a house in Waterford.  The accounting mentions the hire of servants Ned, George and John.

On 29 May 1835 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, the following was filed in chancery court:  "Henry, GW vs Admr of Fox et al Chancery M 2193  May 29, 1835. George W.  Henry was awarded total of $1584.12 to be paid by  John Wright and John Braden for Mary Fox, deceased.

On 9 Jan 1837 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, Mary's brother,  John Braden and also John Wright, as administrators "with will annexed", filed an estate account on her estate. 

On 11 Mar 1840 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, the administrators of Mary Fox's estate, John Braden and John Wright, filed an account on her estate.

Mary (Braden) and William Fox had the following known children:

Mary Fox born about 1793;  Francis A. Fox (no birthdate found); Elizabeth Fox born about 1797; Alfred Braden Fox born about 1803; and Bushrod Mason Fox born about 1806.  There is a Sarah Fox who may have been their daughter, but if so, she is not named in either Mary or William’s will, so she must have been deceased before they wrote their wills.  I have a little information on their children.

Francis A. Fox was apparently under 21 when her father made his will in December 1809.  Francis A. Fox married David Shawen, son of Cornelius Shawen and Mary Ann Main, on 17 Nov 1818 in Waterford, Loudoun Co., Virginia. A newspaper announcement read, "Married in Waterford on Tuesday last, by the Rev. Wm. W. Gilmore, Mr. David Shawen to Miss Francis [sic] A. Fox, all of this county." from "Genius of Liberty" Leesburg, VA, Nov. 24, 1818 (11/24 was a Tuesday in 1818, making the previous Tuesday 11/17).  Francis A. (Fox) Shawen died on 7 March 1822.  She was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 Sep 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia (see above).

Mary Fox, Jr. (daughter of William and Mary) was born circa 1793 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  She was named as an heir in the will of her father, William Fox, on 13 Dec 1809 in Loudoun Co., Virginia,; she was apparently not yet 21. Mary Fox was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 Sep 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Elizabeth Fox was born circa 1797 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.   She was also known as Betsey Fox.
She was named as an heir in the will of her father, William Fox, on 13 Dec 1809 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  She witnessed the death of her father, William Fox between 13 Dec 1809 and 12 Feb 1810 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Elizabeth Fox lived in 1817  in Waterford, Virginia.   She married George W. Henry on 14 Nov 1819 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.; they were both of Waterford.  Elizabeth Henry was one of the heirs of Bushrod Mason Fox after his death between 1822 and 1823.  Elizabeth (Fox) Henry died in June 1825, perhaps in childbirth, since her only known child, America Henry, was born in June 1825.  America Henry died in September 1830 when she was 5 years old.

Elizabeth Henry was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 Sep 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Related to the chancery suit, the following affidavits were taken:  "The affidavits of sundry witnesses taken on the 28th day of November 18-at the office if Francis W. Luckett in Leesburg, pursuant to notice to be read as evidence in the suit now depending in the Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery for the County of Loudoun in which George W. Henry in his character and right of tenant by Courtesy and as administrator of Elizabeth Henry Dec'd formerly Elizabeth Fox, is Plaintiff and John Braden and John Wright administrators with the Will annexed of Mary Fox dec'd who was surviving acting Executrix of William Fox dec'd and others are defendants. 

Isaac E. Steer, being first duly affirmed saith as follows:

That soon after the death of Mary Fox he was called on by John Braden and David Shawen who rented it to fix the rent of the farm which is the subject of this suit, connected with a small tract of about 80 acres which belonged to Mary Fox now dec'd-John Worstley [sic] and Samuel Jaely? Assisted me-we fixed the rent of both farms at $400 per year-this was in August 1828-I think Mary Fox died in the month of July.  I was again called on by Samuel Hough and David Shawen in the spring of 1830 I think under the sanction of George w. Henry as I understood from them, to fix the rent on the farm separately, which is the subject of this suit.  Joseph Wood assisted me on this occasion.  We fixed the rent at the time at $300 per year.  My opinion is that $300 was a fair rent for the same at the time it was rented jointly with the 80 acres as above stated.  As it respects the slaves, I am but little acquainted with their value or annual value but I should not think that they were worth anything, there were so many young children amongst them to be supported, I mean exclusive of Ned.  And further saith not.
                                   Isaac E. Steer

Joseph Wood who being first duly affirmed saith as follows:
Who says he is well acquainted with the farm, the subject of this suit-has lived near it for many years-I was called on to assist Isaac E. Steer to fix the rent in 1830-I agree with Isaac E. Steer that $300 was a fair rent for it, both in 1830 and in 1828. As to the slaves, I do not think, exclusive of Ned, they were worth more than their victuals and clothes-I would not have taken them for that. And further saith not.
                                   Joseph Wood

Examination of Elijah James, who being first duly affirmed says, that he is well acquainted with the farm the subject of this suit and thinks it worth $330 or $340, thinks it was worth if from 1827 to this time.
As it respects the slaves-says he say some of them today.  The Mother and six of the youngest children at least they were shewn to me as the same alluded to in the order of Court.  I should not suppose they were worth more than their victuals and clothes, they might have been worth more, but I would not have taken them for that, I mean exclusively of Ned. Ned I think was worth $40 for a year.   And further saith not.
                                   Elijah James

The examination of Jacob Waltman who being first sworn says:
He saw some of the slaves today.  The mother and six of the youngest children-the whole were worth about their victuals and clothes until two years past-since that I think the three oldest ought to have hired for $65 per years, I mean exclusive of Ned.  And further saith not.
                                   Jacob Waltman…..”

Alfred Braden Fox was born after 17 Mar 1803 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He was named as an heir in the will of his father, William Fox, on 13 Dec 1809 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. Alfred Braden Fox died before 17 Mar 1824 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  He had no children.  Alfred Braden Fox was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 Sep 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.

Bushrod Mason Fox was born about Nov 1806 in Loudoun Co., Virginia. He was named as an heir in the will of his father, William Fox, on 13 Dec 1809 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.  Bushrod Mason Fox died between 1822 and 1823.  He had no children.  Bushrod Mason Fox was mentioned in Chancery Suit M2193, "Henry vs. Fox's Admtrs, et als" on 29 Sep 1832 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.


William Fox, b. circa 1765 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. between 13 Dec 1809 and 12 Feb 1810 at Loudoun Co., VA
+Mary Braden, b. 22 Nov 1769 at Loudoun Co., VA, m. 22 Feb 1790 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. circa Jul 1828 at Loudoun Co., VA
Francis A. Fox, d. 7 Mar 1822
   +David Shawen, b. 27 Jan 1799, m. 17 Nov 1818 at Waterford, Loudoun Co., VA, d. 31 Jan 1868 at Loudoun Co., VA
   William C. Shawen, b. 24 Feb 1820, d. 28 Jun 1880 at Loudoun Co., VA
       +Ann C. Taylor, b. 22 Oct 1826, m. 14 Nov 1844 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. 11 Oct 1888 at Loudoun Co., VA
        Frances A. Shawen, b. circa 1845, d. 22 Nov 1892
          +Franklin McIntosh Myers, b. 16 Oct 1840 at Loudoun Co., VA, m. 7 Feb 1871 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. 20 Oct 1906
       Cornelius Shawen, b. 16 Dec 1847, d. 6 May 1916 at Loudoun Co., VA
       Harriet Shawen, b. 26 Oct 1849, d. 23 Nov 1919 at Loudoun Co., VA
       William Shawen, b. 13 Feb 1852, d. 1 Oct 1917 at Loudoun Co., VA
       Charles C. Shawen, b. 22 Dec 1853, d. 25 May 1925 at Oakton, Fairfax Co., VA
          +Rosalie Russell, b. 6 Jan 1860, m. 8 Apr 1880, d. 2 Mar 1922
          Nellie Bartgis Shawen, b. 26 Oct 1881 at Oakton, Fairfax Co., VA, d. 2 Jan 1962 at Oakton, Fairfax Co., VA
       Mary Shawen, b. 1855, d. 1925
       Albert Shawen, b. 1862
          +Amanda (--?--)
       Hector Shawen, b. 1864 at VA
Mary Fox, b. circa 1793 at Loudoun Co., VA
Elizabeth Fox, b. circa 1797 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. Jun 1825
   +George W. Henry, b. between 1794 and 1804, m. 14 Nov 1819 at Loudoun Co., VA
   America Henry, b. circa Jun 1825, d. Sep 1830
Alfred Braden Fox, b. after 17 Mar 1803 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. before 17 Mar 1824 at Loudoun Co., VA
Bushrod Mason Fox, b. circa Nov 1806 at Loudoun Co., VA, d. between 1822 and 1823



No comments:

Post a Comment