Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Rediscoveries: John Roberts Jones Family Book

Another item that has resurfaced as I sort through my neglected stacks of papers is a photocopy of pages from a book that have been filled in with information on the John R. Jones family.

It took a bit of digging, but I found my notes about it and determined that it was sent to me by Marycarol Jones, daughter of John R. Jones, in May 1979.  She said they were photocopies of pages from a family book that she no longer had.  There is no information about who filled out the information but most of it is done in one person's handwriting.  It does not seem to be Marycarol's handwriting.  It does not list John R.'s children; it focuses on his parent, siblings, grandparents and great-grandparents.  If I am not missing anything, the most recent date in the main handwriting is 1917.  Though I cannot confirm it without seeing an example of his handwriting, I suspect this is mostly the work of John R. Jones himself.  That is only a supposition; I will update this post if I find anything to aid in determining the writer.

 Update: Another Jones researcher, Ray Quisenberry, says he also has copies of these (or similar) pages.  He always suspected that the writer was Jennie Sophia Hannum Jones, wife of David Jenkins Jones, but again, he can't be sure.  I will provide updates if anything else surfaces about these pages.

This is unsourced, so I would consider it excellent clues, but would want to verify the information with primary sources.  


No comments:

Post a Comment