Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Mystery: Abiel Jenner Letter to John Quincy Adams

A number of years ago, I was contacted by someone who had come across a letter from Abiel Jenner(s) to John Quincy Adams while Adams was Secretary of State.  It has been so long ago that my memories of it are mostly gone.

I don't seem to have a copy of the original letter,  just a copy of a transcription that was faxed to me.  No information on the fax to remind me of who sent it.

I would very much like to get back in touch with whoever has that letter.  I'd love to have a scan of it for my Abiel Jenners records.

There is no year on the transcription.  John Quincy Adams was Secretary of State from 1817 to 1825 and President from 1825 to 1829.  There is a date on the top of the transcription that seems to have been added by the person who faxed it to me - 15 July.  The letter refers to some festival on the 4th of July and to the possibility of John Quincy Adams losing the election. 

Abiel Jenners died in September 1824.  Perhaps this letter is from July 1824? 

In it, Abiel states that he was born in Concord, Massachusetts in 1774, came from there to Washington, D.C. in 1799, lived there until 1802, and then went to Loudoun County, Virginia.  This matches the family history record we have from Abiel's son, David Jenners.

I wish I could remember the circumstances of my getting faxed the transcription.  I would dearly love to have that person contact me.

I am not posting the letter here because I don't have the original or the permission of the transcriber.

A mystery I'd love to solve.  Maybe this post will help the letter find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment