Thursday, March 3, 2016

Letter from Hannah Stilwell to Mary Elva ("Minnie") Stilwell, Nov. 24, 1870

Hannah Stilwell was Minnie's older sister.  She seems to have been staying with their married sister, Blanche, and Blanche's husband, Frank Munn, while she was going to school.  Edie was the youngest Stilwell sister, Edith May.  I am not sure who Charley was, unless it was Charles Osborne, husband of another sister, Annette or "Nettie." 

Hannah Ruth Stilwell, date unknown

I've transcribed the letter and include scans.



Postmark: Fond du Lac, Wisc. Nov. 25
Letter addressed to:  Misses Minnie and Edie Stilwell, P.O. Box 25, Metomen, Wisconsin

Dear Sister Minnie,

I was real glad to get a letter from you today, so glad that I told Blanche I should answer immediately.  I was surprised to see how rapidly you have improved in Penmanship.  You write ever so much better than you did last Summer.

So you are going to school again, Are you?  I suppose you think the rules, that the teacher gave, are pretty hard to follow, don’t you?  Well, you must expect them, always, in a school where any kind of order is kept.  I have to carry myself pretty straight I find, although Miss M—hasn’t had occasion to correct me this term.

Miss Merrille has such a cold that she can hardly speak loud, consequently she closed school to-day, about 11 o’clock and as to-morrow is Thanksgiving, we have no school until Monday.

Blanche & I are anticipating a nice time to-morrow, here all by ourselves.  Frank is going to get some nicknacks to-night & we are going to have chicken &c.  I wish you & Miss Edie, and the little hoss-man himself might be here.  Wouldn’t we have a jolly time!  Tell Net her cake was too good, for it didn’t last us long.  Tell her I will write before long.  You may give Charley one good hug & smack for me, & tell him I want to see him dreadfully.

Tell Mother that if the prospects are as fair in two weeks as they are now, that I shall have some wonderful news to tell her.  Well, Blanche says I may tell now if I want to, for I suppose you will surmise all manner of things if I don’t.  Viz., Frank has stopped chewing tobacco.  He says he took his last chew Saturday night, but I have my doubts about it.  Said he found it was ruining him, & he concluded to stop.  Since he has stopped he has not had as much relish for coffee, & has drunk but two cups on an average.

I am doing nicely in music.  One of the little girls that practice after I do in the afternoon, has been sick, so that I have had the benefit of her hour, & have practiced three hours a day.

Mr. Hanchet staid here last night.  Had a splendid time.

Mrs. Elizabeth Stanton lectures here Saturday night.  We all want to go for I expect she is a great lecturer.

This is not very interesting to you, Minnie, but I have written the last page more especially for the rest.

Well I must close & write a few lines to Edie.  I wish you would write me again, & tell all the news.  Love to all & to yourself.  Good bye,
                                                                Your Affectionate Sister
                                                                                                Hannah

P.S. I send a piece of B—s dress that I undertook to send in Mother’s letter.   Han.




No comments:

Post a Comment