Friday, February 2, 2018

More Postcards to John S. Jones - 1914


Continuing my posts of the group of postcards in my possession that had been sent to John Stilwell Jones.  This batch is from 1914.

The postcard above is postmarked Jan. 17, 1914 from Bismarck, North Dakota.  It is addressed to "Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon, Wis.  Box 800"

The message reads:  "Dear John:-  Just a line, as I am down town.  How's the world using you these days?  B.H.S. played a hot old game last night with Jamestown score 43 - 16 in favor of Bis.  Yours Gen.  100 Ave. C"

This is another postcard from John's friend, Genevieve, who may be Genevieve Hoffman.  See my note Here.  "B.H.S."  seems to be Bismarck High School.  Jamestown is probably Jamestown, N.D., a town about 100 miles east of Bismarck.



The next postcard (above) shows the Lion Bridge, Lake Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The card is addressed to "Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon, Wisconsin.  Box 800."  It is postmarked Jan. 23, 1914 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The message reads:  "Hello Jones:-  I arrived here Wednesday morning.  I am having one great time of my life.  You ought to be here.  My little cousin Bobby which is three years old told me to send this card to Johnie Jones, because he said you would like the lions.  I am just six blocks from this Park.  I will write more next time.  answer soon.  From____.  L. S."

The next postcard (below) shows a view of Humbolt Park, Milwaukee.







The card is postmarked from Milwaukee on Feb. 6, 1914 and addressed to "Mr. John S. Jones  Ripon, Wis.  Box 800."  From the handwriting, I think this is from the same person as the card above it that pictures the Lion Bridge, a person named "Lillian."  The message reads:  "Hello John S: - I am having a fine time down here.  You ought to be here.  I am geting [sic] pretty sore because you don't write  You had better keep your Promise.  I will expect a card or a letter from you Monday with out fail.  From Lillian.  Please ans. so I will know you got the cards."

The next postcard is also from Lillian and shows a picture of the Conservatory at the National Soldiers Home in Milwaukee.  It is also postmarked Feb. 6, 1914. 



Lillian wrote:  "Hello John: -  I am having a good time down here.  Why in the dickens don't you write.  Please keep your promise or I will be sore.  From -- I will look for mail from you Monday.  Lillian."

The next postcard - also from Lillian S. - shows "Third Street, North from Sycamore at Night, Milwaukee, Wis."  I found another postcard on-line that shows the same scene in daylight HERE.


Lillian is still waiting for a letter from John S.  He must not have been much of a letter writer!  This card is also from Milwaukee and is postmarked Feb. 18, 1914.  Here is what Lillian wrote:  "Hello Jones:-  I am having a real good time here.  I would like to get one card from you while I am here.  Please write me on card.  I know you are still alive because I heard it from Miss Richmuth.  I will be home March first.  I remain your friend as ever.  L.S."

The final postcard for this post is postmarked Bismarck, ND on Feb. 28, 1914 and is again from Genevieve.



The message reads:  "1002 Ave C.  Sat afternoon:  Am down town & happened to think of you owing me a letter.  Please abide by the other side.  Genevieve"


No comments:

Post a Comment