Saturday, February 3, 2018

John Stilwell Jones Postcards - Final Group (I Think)

So I think this group of postcards to John Stilwell Jones is the last.  I believe I will have posted all I have in my possession. 


The above postcard is from "G.H." and is postmarked May 21, 1914 from Bismarck, North Dakota.  This is certainly another card from Genevieve Hoffman.    It is addressed to Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon Wis.  Box 800.  The message reads:  "Dear John: Rec'd your card and am now patiently waiting for the letter.  This card just suits my thoughts tonight.  To see you would make me more than glad.  I am working now for an Attorney General.  He is running for State Senator.  Will tell you more about it when write a letter.  How is college these days?  There is a big circus coming to town June 1st.  Ha! Ha! lets go for fun?  Well this is nearly a letter  good night Send your letter along by fastest mail.  Yours as ever G.H."



The above is another postcard from the dentist, George H. Bush.  It is postmarked Ripon, Wis., June 1, 1914 and addressed to "J. S. Jones, Room #5, West Bldg. College, Ripon, Wis."  The message reads:  "G.H. Bush, D.D.S.  Ripon, Wis.   June 1 -1914    Dear Jones  I have heard nothing from Hughes.  Will you please call and help me see Roberts and an attempt to get at him through him  Please bring that Oshkosh circular.  You know I had not done with it.  --  Yours truly    G.H. Bush"



The above card shows a scene from Peninsula State Park, Door Co., Wisconsin.  The card is postmarked Sept. 19, 1914 and addressed to Mr. John Jones, Ripon,Wisc., care of F. R. Munn.   F.R. Munn was the husband of John's maternal aunt, Celia Blanche (Stilwell) Munn.  I have written about them HERE.  John's sister, Marycarol Jones, told me that he stayed with the Munns during some of his time at Ripon College.  Apparently, John S. has been ill and is staying with the Munns while he recovers.  I am not sure of the name of the person signing the card; it appears to be "Delene B." but I am not certain that is correct.  Here is the message:  "Hello John.  Am so sorry to hear you are sick.  Hope you will soon be able to be back at College and help put the freshies in their places.  I saw a lot of them in town Wed. and they looked as green as their caps.  Delene B."


I looked for Getchells in Hankinson around 1914, but did not spot them.  The above card from "Mrs. Getchell" is postmarked Hankinson, N. Dak on Sept. 28, 1914 and addressed to Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon Wis.  The message is:  "Hankinson, N.D., Sept 29, 1914   Dear Friend John:  We think of you so often, and hope that you will soon be better.  With Love   Mrs. Getchell."


The above postcard pictures 3110 Watson Street, Ripon, Wis.  If you look closely on the street, you can see a person in a buggy with a horse.  Google Maps does not show a 3110 Watson Street, but there is indeed a Watson Street in Ripon.  The card is postmarked Ripon, Wis. Sept, 30, 1914 and addressed to Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon, Wis. c/o Frank Munn.  The message reads:  "Hello old sport!  I looked all over & tried to get you by phone.  P.M. said he sent a package out.  phone was too busy.  Am going to wedding tonite so must hustle to get the train.  Hope to see you well soon.  Love Je [unreadable]."  I can't tell if this is "Jerry" or "Jen." 

The final postcard is again from Genevieve Hoffman.



The card shows Castle Rock, Bad Lands, No. Dak.  It is addressed to Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon, Wis. Box 800.  The postmark is Bismarck, N. Dak., Oct. 2, 1914.  The message is:  "1002 Ave. C.  Is this box number correct?  Box 800.  Maybe you haven't been getting my messages on acct. of address.  Dear John:-  Have been wondering how you & the typhoid fever are getting along.  Hope you are getting along alright now.  Did you get my letter I wrote some time ago?  Is your mother still with you?  Have been making out bills all day to-day.  It is not much fun either.  Well I must stop or I'll have to write a letter.  Will write a letter in a few days again.  Hope you are better.  Love, Gen."

From the above card, we learn that John S. Jones had typhoid fever in the fall of 1914 and his mother, Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones went to Ripon to be with him while he was sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment