Thursday, May 25, 2017

Letter from Fannie (no surname) to Minnie Stilwell, May 1878

The following is another letter to Mary Elva ("Minnie") Stilwell from one of her friends.  Fannie wrote from Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, but did not give a surname.  Minnie was 16 and Fannie seems to be of about the same age.  Though Fannie mentions Minnie, Mae, and her parents, there is not enough information to identify her.  I suspect, however that she is Fannie Hanchet who is mentioned in other letters and who was a niece of Minnie's sister, Hannah, and her husband Edward Clarence Bent.




Here is my transcription:



Envelope addressed to : Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wis.
Postmarked: Sheboygan Falls, Wis., June 21

Sheboygan Falls, May 18th, 1878.

Dear Minnie:

                I received your letter yesterday but not in time to answer for the afternoon mail.  Oh, I am delighted to think you are coming to make me a visit, it will be perfectly convenient and we shall expect you Tuesday afternoon without fail.

                It looks very much like rain, wouldn’t it be a shame if it should.  I have been son [lon]esome since I was at your house.  I miss Minnie a great deal and Mae has been gone all the week to her school.  I want you to come prepared to make a good long visit.

                It is all most train time so I shall have to bring my letter to a close.

                Papa and Mama join in sending love to all.

                                Every your’s

                                                Fannie.


No comments:

Post a Comment