Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hankinson Attic Photos: Mystery Young Woman - A Stilwell?


This photo was among the family photos we obtained from the attic of the John R. Jones house in Hankinson, North Dakota.  The copy I have as obviously been made from an older original.  If you look closely, you can see that the original had been removed from its frame in order to make the copy.  It looks to me to have been in one of those small fancy glass covered frames, much like what she is holding. 

From her hair and clothing, I would date this as Civil War or before.  She seems to be about 16 - 18 years old.   When I asked Marycarol Jones about this photo, she just said she thought it was "a Stilwell."

I have given it a lot of thought, and have come to the conclusion that she MAY be Mary Kay White (1824-1901) who married Lonson Stilwell and was the mother of Mary Elva Stilwell who married John R. Jones.  If I am right, then the photo was taken ca 1840-1842, which is certainly possible.

Here is a picture that I know is Mary Kay (White) Stilwell:

Mary Kay (White) Stilwell
So what do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment