Tuesday, January 19, 2016

William M. Braden (1837-1907)




William M. Braden was born 26 March 1837 on the family farm near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana, to Burr and Mary (Jenners) Braden.  While many documents give Will's middle initial "M.", no primary references have been found that give his full middle name.  Various pieces of family research are the only sources for the middle name "Mordnant" found to date.  These do not include sources, but have been found to be generally accurate when the data has been verified.  There are a number of variations of the name, including Mardnant, Mordnant, Mordaunt, Mordant, Morduit, and Manduit.  I have done some research into this name and will do a post about its possible sources and variants at some point.

Will had uncles on both sides named William, so he was probably named for them.  His mother's brother was William Morduit Jenners, another William M.

Will is found with Burr and Mary and his siblings on the 1850 census for the town of Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  He is listed as 12 years old and having attended school that year.

During the 1853-1854 term, Will attended Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana.  He lived on campus and was in the "prep" department.  He was at Wabash again during the 1854-1855 term and was in the "normal" department.

On the 1860 census of Clinton Co., Indiana, Will is listed with Burr and Mary and family.  He was 23 and single.

Will's father, Burr, died 6 December 1861.

Will was mentioned in a letter written 11 January 1862 by his brother, Robert, to their mother, "...William has never written me a line since I have been in the service. "

Will was mentioned in a letter dated 24 January 1863 from Will's brother, Alba, to their sister (probably Sarah Deborah Braden Clark).  Alba wrote of the upcoming wedding between Will and Martha H. Campbell:  "... And I have some news for you, which is news.  What do you think, Bill is to be married the 1st of March.  did you ever? &c  And more.  he is to marry my Patsey.  So I reccon [sic] this is the last letter you will ever get from your heart broken brother Alba.  Pity me oh pity poor me.  The last three 1/2 lines are all stuff & bombast - for I am truly thankfull [sic] that things are as they "is".  for to tell you a fact (of which you are doubtless aware,) I never had any notion of marrying the gal nor she me. (I hope) and had come to the conclusion to tell her so, when I heard the above astounding report.  Bill writes me every week.  1st he wrote me asking release of all claims on Patsey.  I sent in my resignation.  He accepted it thankfully.  Next letter told me how he was getting along, time of the happy event, &c &c.  Gene [?] and Anna wrote me last week, telling me of some of his talk, which sounds just like him.  Here is a sample.  he says he will not go on a bridal-tour, but will get spliced about noon, take dinner, and then go down to the farm.  Says he must get the chills broken ere that time, as marrying is very trying on a man, and the two combined will finish him entirely.  I would not miss being up there at the occasion for worlds, nor would you if you could only get there, but never mind I will try and send you a report of the time in full."

The upcoming marriage of Will to Martha was also mentioned in a letter dated 2 February 1863 from Will's brother, Robert, to their mother,  "... Your notice of William's probable marriage reached me at the same time that Alba and Addison (for Add did write to me) named the day on which he was to be married, so, now, I suppose I have only to offer my congratulations.  I did not think William was so near settling for in spite of his many love scrapes they did not generally last long enough to amount to anything serious.  I presume though he will be more comfortable fixed - on the farm - now than when single."

Will was mentioned in a letter dated 10 February 1863 from his brother, Hector, to their mother, "I had a long letter from Will, in reply to one from mine, two days since - in relation to mules, marrying, farming &etc.  Am sorry to learn he is so afflicted with eye & chills,  think it probably the former is caused by the latter.  I do trust his proposed marriage will be for his good - I know it will take a great burden off you, & be in many respects, if not all (as I hope it will) far better for him.  Mary gave him a pressing invitation to come down & make us a visit just after married, but he replies will not have time.  If possible, we will come up then, but can't foresee so for now.  I wrote him I thought he did not value mules high enough, but it is possible they are not as good as such I rated from.  I advised him to buy all he could, and buy corn to feed them, as the demand seems likely to be large in spring, at high rates - so too of horses...."

On 10 March 1863, when he was 25 years old, Will married Martha Hester Campbell, the daughter of James C. Campbell and Hester McClure, in Clinton Co., Indiana.



On 29 June 1863, Will is found on a list of "Persons of Class I" subject to military duty in the 8th Congressional District.  He is listed as being 26, married, a farmer, and born in Indiana.

On 5 September 1863, Will's mother, Mary died.

The marriage between Will and Martha did not last long, because just 9 months after their wedding, in December 1863, Martha died of consumption.   She was probably buried in Jefferson Cemetery, but her grave has not been found.  I have found a record of the marriage, but not much else on Martha at this point.  I hope someday to discover more about her.

On 1 February 1864, former U.S. Senator from Indiana, Albert Smith White, wrote two letters of introduction for Will Braden.  One was to Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton and the other to U.S. Army General Lorenzo Thomas.  I have transcribed the two letters below.

"Stockwell Ind.  Feb 1, 1864
Brig Genl L. Thomas
Adjt. Genl U.S.A.

Dear Sir
     Allow me to introduce to you my personal friend Wm M. Braden Esq who goes South with a view to cultivate one of the abandoned rebel plantations.  Mr. B. has a brother a capt. in the 26th Ind who is now in the field.  He is a native of Ind, & from family associations, personal merit, & general intelligence and bearing, is entitled to rank with our first citizens.  Any facilities you may afford him in achieving his object will oblige a loyal & worthy gentleman, as well as
Your friend & (unreadable)
A. S. White
ex M.C. from Ind."



and


"Stockwell, Feb. 1, 1864
His Excy
O.P. Morton
   The bearer Wm M. Braden Esq of Clinton County Ind desires to go South to cultivate one of the abandoned rebel plantations.  I have long known Mr. B., his late lamented father & family, as among the very first in our State for intelligence, respectability & personal merit.
    Whatever introductory letters or other aids - or information - you may furnish Mr. B. towards the accomplishment of his object will be most worthily bestowed on a loyal and deserving gentleman, & will be regarded by me as a personal favor.  Mr. Braden has a brother who is now in the field as Capt. of a Co. in the 26th Ind. Vol.
(unreadable)
A. S. White"



There is no indication in family or other documents that Will ever followed up on this idea of farming former rebel plantations.  As far as we know, he lived his whole life on the farm in Clinton Co., Indiana.  He was certainly working the farm in September 1864 when he sold 2000 bushels of red wheat for $1.65 a bushel and 1000 bushels of corn for $1.35 a bushel.


On 16 May 1865, Will Braden married Laura Virginia Watt, daughter of neighbors, Robert and Jane Watt.  (I will do full posts on Laura and her parents in the future, since they are in my husband's direct line.)  Will was 28 years old and Laura was 25.



On the 1866 Enumeration Schedule of White and Colored Men Age 21 and Over, William M. Braden was listed as "ae 28" in Washington Twp, Clinton Co., Indiana.


On 25 January 1866, Will's brother Hector wrote a letter to Will.  From comments in the letter, it appears that Will and Hector had been disagreeing about Will's handling of the family farm in terms of their father's estate.  Hector's letter follows: “

"My Dear Bro Will,  Our letters seem to be mutual in their effects, you tell me mine "astonishes" you.  I assure you yours produced a like effect upon me.  As to terms of contract, I don't see them as you state, thats not important now; but I do remember, as you state, that because we are one family, the children of a departed father, whose virtues it would be an honor & a joy to imitate, that we deemed no written contract necessary, nor anticipated any misunderstandings, or trouble - God knows I want none, & you must admit, giving me but the most common instincts of humanity, as I cannot possibly make anything thereby, or gain any point, I am but placed in a position, where all reasons, call on compel me to be just & correct, to & for others.  Now, let me ask you to read my last letter again, & if you can remember your answer & you will see that you torture & misconstrue my letter & don't at all answer what I wrote.  I wrote much in relation to your selling Stock off the farm to which you deign no word of reply.  This point must be satisfactorily arranged & explained.  You have much to say about my requesting you to collect notes &c due estate; I did not mention notes.  You say I wrote for you to "hire someone to collect the Timmons [?] claims - as if afraid to trust you," How false & unjust you are, & aint you ashamed of it now - you should be for you know I wrote asking you to do it if had time, & if could not, get someone else.  Now let me state in fewer words, what I mean by my much writing, as to collections & payings out, for the estate.  Understand then once & for all, that the Court will not allow or recognize and disbursement unless a proper voucher, made by the party paid to, is presented with the acc't when I offer it for settlement - Your accts, (as with any others) correct no doubt though they were, would be thrown out as if not there at all, & the result would be the estate could not be Settled.   Just so with money you recv', I have not ever been written to by you, that you had rec'd any much less, rec'd any proper vouchers therefore, yet the evidence of such sums having come into my hands, is in possession of the court, & will be exacted from me at settlement.  Right here let me disabuse you of another impression you write as if had - viz that "I wrote as if deemed you dishonest," - I know  I have intimated ever, no such thing, I have ever thank God been fully able to trust fully in your intentions to do right - what I have to except to is the want of proper attention to details, to reach the right - you must constantly bear in mind that all that we do for the estate cannot be settled as you & I could settle our individual matters, but has to item by item go before the Court, on paper, with a legal voucher for every cent rec'd & paid out.  Let me show you where you are, you, of course, report to me, as executor, for certain sums of money, collected from aspects of the said estate, - when you came to show what became of these sums, you bring your "Book," & show paid out certain sums to certain parties, but only the Book, not a dollar would be allowed, so presented & your recpts would be a legal & [?] get away from chg against you - think of these things Wm & I know you will see in a different light, what I wrote you & why.  I am positive I  told you of the imperative necessity of taking recpts, in name of exectr, for all you paid out for estate, as such need has ever been before my mind since exectr & as wrote you, you must, at once get such for every $ disbursed, - in case of dead man, get some one to sign his name, that was aware of the fact, or make sum to statement of the fact that you paid him such amt & that he died before you could get voucher.  With these, also make out statement of amts and sources, of all moneys by you coll' from estate assets, & send in recpts form to me, as exectr, all these recpts; if owe $20, must have 2 c stamp attached.  For your own sake, far more than mine, attend to these things promptly for the money you have rec'd can readily be shown into your hands, but out of them, for your cr, only by manner above stated.  I made no allusion to your having attended, or not attended, to the affairs & interests of the farm & estate, or failed to perform your contract, no remark of the kind & yet you write pages as if had.  I know you have been unable to do so & therefore you have had my offer to do all I could to aid you, now you write my aid is only like dead sea fruit - ashes to the eater.  I have asked nothing from you but proper statements of funds you rec in & pay out.  What in God's name, less, could I ask brother mine, I cannot allow you to ruin yourself, & involve me & my sisters [?] in endless loss & litigation.  As to "Frank", where I suggested the selling him, I did it, as thought if best for all - if you can make it profitable to keep him, do so by all means, but be reasonably certain of it - some years hence he will be to [sic] old to sell at all.  As to your remaining on the Farm, that, I want you to be fully advised of all the pros & cons, then take the course, that to you seems best.  I have no wish to conceal my desire to have you stay on it - for two reasons, I think it best for you, & don't want to see strangers on it, nor to sell the place that gave us birth, as long as it can be avoided.  As to the purch's of the Hart farm, I am sorry to hear of it, for though know nothing of terms or price, would not consider it a good investment at any price, as the land is very poor, wet & flat, & will never be otherwise - let me beg of you Will, to look well at the thing ere you take it.  Despite your insisting that I have so worryed [?] you & hurt your feelings, I must try to assert that I neither thought of doing so, nor can I imagine why you so construed it.  Nor will I admit either, that I withdrew any offers of aid, or  made such offer a nullity, by what last wrote. - I again repeat such offer, in the same good faith & kind feelings of a desire to aid you when unfortunate, as felt when first made it.  I know too, that we have both written more, in all the points discussed in these late letters, than sounds [?] to [?].  Our views, as to agreement must be the same, - I will try to state them brief & in full.  I told you, as I am sure you will admit, that my whole object was to make the estate self-supporting - to pay its reaping [?] expenses, & keep it up, personal & real, to am't & value of [hire you on contract{?}].  Based on such idea, my proposition could be but this, The whole net proceeds of lands &c were to be used for such purpose, & the bal' necessary you were to pay - what the expenses of the estate are, there can be no question about, viz taxes, of all kinds, proper am't to support & educate minor children, & keep the lands in like repair, as to fences, ditches &c, & keep the quantity of live stock, up to average, in value & number.  Now Billy is that not stating the matter fully & fairly - it is not, I can't, nor will I attempt to.  You say I have forgotten as to terms of keeping Frank - it makes no sort of difference whether you claim to have 1/2 his profits, all of it, nor none, - in either case, you & the estate would pay & rec'v just same - as all his profits, if used by me for the estate, would have up from you - if you took all, you would have more to pay for uses of estate, & just so with any other item.  As to "use of Stock," while I don't exactly know what you mean, I have stated how it is to be used, its nett [sic] profits are to be sold, or valued, as given for use of estate, just so far as will have of that kind of stock a full average no. & value, on the estate. Now if I haven't stated all the points fully & fairly, you must get some one else to do it, I have done. Let me once more remind you to, at once get up all vouchers for money paid out & recd by you, & send to me, - this done, & you keeping in mind my idea as to no. & value of live stock to be kept on estate, you have my wishes as to your doings in such connection.  As to the money that has been & may be expended for minor heirs, desired from other sources, than profits of the estate, that matter will be easily arrived at & settled when we make up acct's.  I know you have had no money, of course, to spare, oweing [sic] to going there with none & failure of crops, to pay out for their or your own expenses, & I have not, therefore, asked you for what you so rec'd - only for the proper reports of it; - of your furnishing these, I trust I have shown you the absolute necessity.  And now, we have both written long, if not well, & I trust, when the smoke clears away, will find we were not as much hurt as irritated.  I return you your letter that you may read it, & my from me, & see how you missed mine where you shot at it.  Let me hear from you fully as to any & all matters that you may want my aid or opinion of.  Write me soon, & send vouchers, &c       Love to all,  Your Bro, affect'ly    Hector
Cough surup [sic] recpt.
    1 oz paregoric
    1 "  Autimonal [sic] wine,
    1 " gum Arabic, - boil latter in pint syrup, & add two [?unreadable] when cool.  Take table spoonfull [sic] often - not  too often, or you'l [sic] see what you saw at your last meal!  I trust it will do whoever its for much good - I have great faith in it, H”"


On 14 December 1866, Will and Laura's first child was born, a daughter they named Mary Jane.  She was probably named for both her grandmothers: Mary (Jenners) Braden and Jane (Fagundus) Watt.  On 20 July 1868, their son, Robert Floyd was born; he was probably named for his grandfather, Robert Watt, and his uncle, Robert Floyd Braden.

Mary Jane Braden
The 1870 census shows the family in Washington Township, Clinton Co., Indiana.  The household was: Braden, Wm, 33, Farmer; Laura 28, ; Mary 3; and Robert 1.  All were born in Indiana.


Robert F. Braden

Will and Laura's third and final child, Alba Ellsworth Braden, was born 27 March 1871.  I have not yet found the source for the middle name "Ellsworth" but Alba was probably named for his paternal uncle, Alba H. Braden.

Alba E. Braden

On 5 April 1871, Will's brother, Hector, wrote him a letter, which reads,

"Crawfordsville, Apr. 5th, 1871   Dear Bro Will -  Have yours 1st inst. & note it fully.  You are mistaken as to am't rec'd by me from "Estate."  There is chg'd to me in "Will" $600.00.  I rec'd since was exec'tr $1100.00 from sale of lot in Lafayette, but have paid over to Heirs much more than both these sums together, (besides all other sums rec'd as exec'tr of estate).  So much for that.  I will get full at facts as to mules, and (?) say more as to them.  I know, nor care nothing as to your & Addison's division or settlement.  I look to you for all sums you collected of funds belonging to the estate & they must, at time suggested, be forth coming.  As to appraisers, I before wrote you to get any suitable persons, say such as George Aughe, Taylor Heavilon, John Vansickle, or other such, as can [?word unclear] get together to be sworn, select 2 & let them select the third.  Your letter to Alba gave us the first intimation of the new scion [Alba E. Braden's birth in late March] that follows the parent stock.  It seems fitting, though possibly burdensome to you & Laura, that the name & fame of the "House" should thus have promise of being kept alive in the Land, as some of rest of us are doing aught toward such result!  Mary joins me in kindest congratulations, & hopes for both Laura & little one, the best of success.  When the Rail is down to this place, you surely will bring all down to see us.  Weather lovely, & I know is doing your farmer's heart and eyes good.  As ever, your affctnd Bro   Hector”"

On 5 November 1874 (almost 13 years after their father's death), all of Burr's children signed a quit claim deed that sold title to Burr's land in Clinton Co. to William.  He paid is siblings a total of $6,000.

On 26 October 1875, Will wrote a letter to his wife, Laura, who was visiting her sister, Susan (Watt) Richards, and family at Lafayette, Indiana.  His letter read,

"My Dear Wife    We are getting along nicely now as John & Mary has come over to stay, taken up bed and boarding with us.  Mary cooks quite well.  We shucked corn yesterday, had Billy, Tom & Harry R., John C & Ed.  we got 400 bushels. Bob and Ab are going to school today.  Get some more money of Bob when you want it and be contented as we are getting along nicely now.  Love to all, Wm Braden"


On the 1880 census for Washington Township, Clinton Co., Indiana, the William Braden household included William, age 43, born about 1837 in Indiana; head of household; married to Laura V. Braden; Farmer; parents born in Virginia; Laura V. Braden, age 40; Mary J. Braden, age 13; Robert F. Braden, age 11; Alby B. Braden, age 9; James Timmons, age 25.   Timmons was a farm hand.

There is a biography of Will in the Clinton County History published in 1886 by the Interstate Publishing Co. of Chicago, Illinois.  There are a number of errors in this bio, and I have added my corrections and comments in [brackets].


"WILLIAM M. BRADEN, farmer, Sections 4, 9, 10, Washington Township, was born March 26, 1837, on the same farm that his father entered when he came to this country.  His parents were Burr and Mary D. (Jenners) Braden.  His father was born in Loudoun Co., Virginia in 1802, spending his early life in that country.  His educational advantages were good for those days.  His father [Burr's father, Robert] was once very wealthy.  He was a ship-owner, and during the war of 1812 his vessels were destroyed by British cruisers [I have found no proof of this, though Robert did import goods as part of Braden Morgan & Co.].  He [Robert] was a slave-holder, and before his death he liberated over 100 slaves, sending them to Liberia [Robert did own slaves, but not nearly 100; they were liberated by his will & sent overseas]; the greater part of them, however, came back to "Old Virginia."  The father of our subject [Burr] moved to LaFayette, Indiana, where he engaged in the mercantile trade for several years [actually less than 1 year], then came to this county in 1830, entered his land and lived on it eight years, then moved to Jefferson.  He inherited quite a large property from his father [actually, his father only left him "one Negro man, Ned"; he had helped Burr get started before he died], and when he came to Indiana he brought several blooded horses, with carriages and wagons, and money enough to purchase a good stock of dry goods.  He died in 1861, leaving an estate valued at $30,000, though he had previously started each of his sons in business.  He was formerly a Whig and latterly a Republican.  The mother of our subject was born in Virginia, and died in 1862 [actually 1863], and is buried beside her husband.  William M. was first married March 25, 1863, to Mattie Campbell, daughter of James C. and Hester (McClure) Campbell.  Her father was a native of Ohio.  He was a harness-maker by trade and came to LaFayette, Indiana, in a very early day.  He moved to Jefferson about the year 1850, and died here in 1867.  Mrs. Braden was born in 1843, in LaFayette, Indiana, and died with consumption in 1863.  She is buried in Jefferson.  Mr. Braden was a second time married, in May, 1865, to Laura V. Watt.  Her father was a native of England, and her mother of Pennsylvania.  Mr. and Mrs. Braden have three children - Mary J., Robert, and Alva [Alba].  Mr. Braden owns 240 acres of land on section 9, eighty-four acres on section 10, and twenty-nine acres on section 4.  His early education was received in the common district school.  Later he attended Wabash College three years. He has never sought office though frequently importuned to become a candidate.  Politically he is a Republican."

Over the years that Will owned the family farm, he periodically purchased more acreage and added to the original plot of land.

On 15 May 1897, Will and Laura's youngest son, Alba, married Emily Amina Crane in Frankfort, Clinton Co., Indiana.

On 28 September 1898, Alba's wife, Emily,  gave birth to William Robert Braden, Will and Laura's first grand child.

The 1900 Clinton Co. census shows the Braden household to be Will, Laura, Robert, and Mary Jane.

On 1 April 1907, Will's sister Annie wrote to Laura and Mary Jane:

"Monday Morn. April 1st/07 [1907]
My dear Laura & Mary
This morn have just learned brother Will's symptoms are not so favorable.  I am so distressed as Saturday Sister had written me Dr. felt he was doing all right & had little fever.  I hoped would find him without any when made next visit.  I cannot bear to think of his suffering in mind as well as body.  Know how much his mind dwells on the little Lambs of which he talked so much about when last here.  How much I wish could do something to assist you, but feel would only be in the way but if can do anything do not fail to call upon me.  I shall earnestly pray for his recovery & trust the dear Lord may spare him to us.  With love & sympathy for all.  Love for my dear
brother if at any time he should be conscious enough to tell him.
            In [undecipherable word] from  Annie"


On 1 April 1907, William M. Braden died at his home of the family farm in Clinton Co., Indiana.  Cause of death was pneumonia.  He was 70 years old.

An obituary appeared in the Crawfordsville Daily Journal, Crawfordsville, Indiana on 2 April 1907:

"HECTOR BRADEN'S BROTHER. - William Braden, a Former Wabash Student, Dies on the Farm Where He Was Born. - William M. Braden, the well-known Washington township farmer, died at his home near Jefferson Monday morning at 10:30 o'clock, of pneumonia and complications, following an illness which began one week ago last Saturday.
  Mr. Braden's early education was received in the common district school, which was later supplemented by an attendance at Wabash College three years.  He was, however, a student all his life a voracious reader, and a man who was well posted on many subjects.  Politically, he was a Republican, and while he had often been importuned to accept nominations at the hands of his political friends, had always declined to be a candidate.  He had one of the finest country homes in the county and was progressive in the profession to which he had devoted his life.  The county has no better citizens than was Mr. Braden.  He had a high sense of honor and a fine regard for the moral attributes that enter into the formation of character.  Although not actively affiliated with any church he had predelictory leanings toward the Presbyterian church and helped to support that organization.
   He was born March 26, 1837, on the farm where he died, and which his father entered when he came to this county in an early day.  The father of the deceased, Burr Braden, was a native of Virginia.  He was a ship owner and during the war of 1812 his vessels were destroyed by the British.  He was a slave holder in Virginia and before his death liberated over one hundred slaves, sending them to Liberia.  The greater part of them, however, came back to Virginia.  The Bradens settled in Washington township in 1830, after a short residence in Lafayette.
  He is survived by three sisters, Mrs. John G. Clark and Mrs. W. W. Garrott of this city and Mrs. Mary Jennings of Lafayette, and two brothers, Hector Braden of Crawfordsville and A. B. Braden of Lafayette. -- Frankfort News."  

[My Note:  Burr Braden did NOT own ships that were destroyed in the war of 1812; Burr was only 10 at the time.  Burr's father Robert is the one who freed his slaves and sent them to Liberia, but he only had a dozen or so, not 100.]



I have found several additional stories about his death (from unidentified newspapers):

"WILLIAM BRADEN DEAD - Pneumonia proves fatal to a well-known farmer. - Was born & died on same farm near Jefferson - the funeral Wednesday.  -  One of the county's well known and substantial farmers, William M. Braden, died yesterday forenoon at 10:30 at his home near Jefferson.  His demise was the termination of about a week's illness with a complication of pneumonia and other ailments.  Since soon after the first attack there seemed little room for the physician or his friends to hope for a favorable termination.  Consequently the announcement of his death was not unexpected.  The funeral services will be held Wednesday forenoon at 10 o'clock at the home, Rev. H.R. Stark officiating.  The interment will be in the Jefferson cemetery.      Mr. Braden enjoyed the distinction and pleasure which are experienced by but few men, that of being born and dying on the same farm after attaining to much more than the allotted life of man.  He was born March 26, 1837, and was, consequently, seven days more than seventy years of age.  He was a son of Burr Braden, one of the distinguished sires of Virginia, who was a ship owner and sustained the loss of his vessels to the British during the second war with Great Britain, in 1812 [note: Burr was only 10 years old in 1812; no proof of this story].  He also was a holder of 100 slaves and, being convinced of the wrongfulness of slavery, liberated all of them and sent them to the Republic of Liberia in Africa [this is only partly true; Burr may have owned a slave or 2, but no more; Burr's father, Robert, owned slaves, but nowhere near 100; Robert did free his slaves in his will & sent them to Liberia].  But a year after the birth of the county, the parents of the deceased settled in Washington township, after residing a short time in Lafayette.  There the family remained for more than three-fourths of a century, honored and respected, none playing a more zealous part in the progress and development of the county than the deceased.  Mr. Braden was twice married, his first wife being Mattie Campbell, the ceremony being said March 25, 1863.  During the first year of their married life she was stricken with consumption and died.  The second marriage was to Laura V. Watt, and was in May, 1865.  Three children were born to them, Mary J., Robert and Alva, all of whom with the mother, survive.  Three sisters, Mrs. John G. Clark and Mrs. W.W. Garrott, of this city, and Mrs. Mary Jennings [actually Anna M. Jennings], of Lafayette, and two brothers, Hector Braden of Crawfordsville, and A.B. Braden, of Lafayette, also survive. In his associations with his fellow man, Mr. Braden was a man of strictest honor and integrity, and there were no better citizens.  In politics, he was a republican, but he was not offensive in his partisanship.  He had prospered in life and had for years occupied one of the finest and most modern country residences in the county.  He was a man of rare intelligence, having finished his education at Wabash College." 

A second article: "Another familiar face will be seen no more in our midst.  Monday forenoon, Wm Braden passed away at his home in Washington township after a painful illness of pneumonia.  Mr. Braden died on the farm on which he was born on March 26, 1837.  His father, Burr Braden, was a native of Virginia, but came to Indiana at an early day and settled in Lafayette, where he remained a short time, coming to this county in 1830.  Wm Braden was first married to Mattie Campbell in 1863.  She died of consumption the same year.  His second marriage was with Laura V. Watt, in 1865.  To this union three children were born, Mary, Robert and Alba, who with the mother, survive.  Three sisters, Mrs. John G. Clark, Mrs. W.W. Garrott and Mrs. Mary Jennings, and two brothers, Hector and A.B. Braden also survive.  Mr. Braden owned one of the finest farms and one of the best country residences in the county.  He was a good citizen, and in his death we lose a man whose many fine qualities might well be emulated by us all."    

A third article: "Funeral of William Braden Very Largely Attended -- One of the largest funerals held in Madison township was that of William Braden, yesterday.  Mr. Braden's long residence and wide acquaintance made him one of the best known citizens of this county.  Rev. H.R. Stark delivered a very impressive funeral sermon, speaking in the highest terms of the excellent character of  the deceased through his long residence in Clinton county."

Will was buried on 3 April 1907 in Jefferson Cemetery, Clinton Co., Indiana.

It is through Will and Laura's son, Alba, that I have found the only living descendants of Burr and Mary Braden, at least so far.  In the chart below I have deleted living individuals.  I will be doing posts on most of these people as time permits.



William Mordnant Braden, b. 26 Mar 1837 at Braden Family Farm, near Jefferson, Washington Twp., Clinton Co., IN, d. 1 Apr 1907 at Jefferson, Washington Twp., Clinton Co., IN, bur. 3 Apr 1907 at Jefferson Cemetery, near Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN
+Martha Hester Campbell, b. 1843 at Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., IN, m. 10 Mar 1863 at Clinton Co., IN, d. Dec 1863 at Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN, bur. at Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN
+Laura Virginia Watt, b. 21 Sep 1839 at Jefferson, Washington Twp, Clinton Co, IN, m. 16 May 1865 at Clinton Co., IN, d. 14 Mar 1911 at Jefferson, Washington Twp, Clinton Co, IN, bur. 16 Mar 1911 at Jefferson Cemetery, near Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN
Mary Jane Braden, b. 14 Dec 1866 at "on the old farm", near Jefferson, Washington Twp., Clinton Co., IN, d. 25 Nov 1932 at at 6:00 a.m. at her brother, Robert's, home, Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, bur. at Jefferson Cemetery, near Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN
Robert Floyd Braden, b. 20 Jul 1868 at Jefferson, Clinton Co., IN, d. 11 May 1937 at Clinton Co. Hospital, Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, pro. 1 Jan 1908
   +Christine Dorner, b. 27 Jan 1869 at Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, m. 18 Oct 1911 at Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, d. 22 May 1953 at Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, bur. 24 May 1953 at Greenlawn Cemetery, Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN
Alba Ellsworth Braden, b. 27 Mar 1871 at Jefferson, Washington Twp., Clinton Co., IN, d. 10 Nov 1907 at Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN, bur. 11 Nov 1907 at Fair Haven Cemetery, Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN
    +Emily Amina Crane, b. 9 Aug 1878 at Lebanon, Boone Co., IN, m. 15 May 1897 at Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, d. 10 Jul 1914 at 11:30 a.m., Frankfort, Clinton Co., IN, bur. 11 Jul 1914 at Fair Haven Cemetery, near Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN
    William Robert Braden, b. 28 Sep 1898 at Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN, d. 18 Jun 1979 at Richmond, Wayne Co., IN, bur. 21 Jun 1979 at Earlham Cemetery, Richmond, Wayne Co., IN
       +Vera Voynne Healey, b. 6 Jun 1898 at Brookston, White Co., IN, m. 24 Feb 1923 at Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY, d. 7 Dec 1975 at Turtle Creek Convalescent Center, 55 W. 33rd, Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN, bur. Dec 1975 at Earlham Cemetery, Richmond, Wayne Co., IN
    Laura Nancy Braden, b. 4 Mar 1900 at Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN, d. 9 Oct 1965 at Damariscotta, Lincoln Co., ME, bur. 12 Oct 1965 at West Bristol Cemetery, Walpole, Lincoln Co., ME
        +Francis Lee Pavey, b. 9 Aug 1894 at Rockville, Parke Co., IN, m. 2 Oct 1917 at Covington, Kenton Co., KY, d. 1 Nov 1979 at at home, Upper Arlington, Columbus, Franklin Co., OH, bur. 2 Nov 1979 at West Bristol Cemetery, Walpole, Lincoln Co., ME
        Jane Burr Pavey, b. 15 May 1920 at Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., IN, d. 10 Oct 1990 at Woodley Island, Langley, Island Co., WA, bur. 11 Oct 1990
            +James Russell Scheip Jr, b. 12 Mar 1920 at Troy, Miami Co., OH, m. 18 Aug 1941 at Scarsdale, Westchester Co., NY, d. 14 Dec 1977 at Worthington, Franklin Co., OH, bur. 15 Dec 1977 at OH
           




 

















No comments:

Post a Comment