Sunday, January 10, 2016

Anna Marie Braden (1847-1931) and her husband, Horatio Gates Phillips Jennings (1839-1914)

Anna Marie Braden was born 8 June 1847 near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  Her parents were Burr and Mary (Jenners) Braden.   She was often called "Fanny" by the family.  She may have been named for her maternal aunt, Ann (Jenners) Jennings.  Perhaps the "Marie" was for her mother, Mary.

She is listed on the 1850 census in Clinton Co., Indiana with her parents and siblings and is shown as "Fanny M." aged 3 years.    On the 1860 census, she is again with her parents in Clinton Co. and is show as "Ann" aged 14 years.

She was 14 years old when her father, Burr, died on 6 December 1861.

Annie was mentioned in a letter dated 22 December 1862 from her brother, Robert, to their mother: "... [going to Crawfordsville] would be the best thing in the world for the fat girls, for Annie seems determined to get her education within the folds of your apron, and it will require the whole family to change to get her to school. ..."

On 13 February 1863, Mary Braden filed an application in Clinton Co., Indiana, for the guardianship of her three minor children: Addison (18),  Anna M. (15), and Lucy J. (10).



On 5 September 1863, Anna's mother, Mary, died.  Anna was 16.

I assume that after her mother's death, she went to live with her older sister, Sarah Clark, since that is where her young siblings are found on the 1870 census.

Anna married Horatio Gates Phillips Jennings on 11 February 1868 at the residence of her sister and brother-in-law, Mary Jane and Henry Spring, in Lafayette, Indiana.  They were married by the Rev. Daniel Rice.

Horatio Jennings was born in 1839, the son of Dr. David and Rachel Jennings.  He is found on the 1850 census with his parents and siblings in Lafayette.  He served in the Civil War in the 47th Indiana Infantry and attained the rank of Lieutenant.  The family called him "Rasche."  Horatio's first cousin once removed was Peter S. Jennings, the husband of Anna's maternal aunt, Ann D. Jenners.

Ann and Horatio are found on the 1870 census in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Indiana.  The household was listed as: "H.P.G. Jennings, 30, male, white, wholesale druggist, personal property = $5000, born Indiana.  Jennings, Anna M., 24, Female, white, wife, born Indiana."

The 1873 Lafayette City Directory lists Horatio G.P. Jennings working at Jennings & Pierce.  Jennings & Pierce were wholesalers of oils and paints located at 4 N. Third in Lafayette, Indiana.


In 1880 on the census, Anna and Horatio were living in Frankfort, Clinton Co., Indiana.  The household was: Jennings, Horatio G.P., wm 40, married, Telegraph operator; Anna, wf 32, wife, keeping house.


By 1886, Annie and Horatio were back in Lafayette.  On 28 December 1886, Annie wrote a letter to her niece, Mary Jane Braden.  The envelope is addressed to: "Miss Mary Braden, Jefferson, Indiana" and is  postmarked:    Lafayette, Ind   Dec  1886.  The letter follows:

"LaFayette  Indiana
Dec 28th /86 [1886]
My dear Mary
I am so much obliged for the beautiful apron you sent me.  It has so much work on it & I feel my little gift is but a reminder of the day.  Give kindest thanks to your Mama for the nice handkerchief & Mr. J sends many thanks for your nice gift & your Mama's as he put it right on & I expect will not want to lay it off until it is so soiled I shall have to wash it.  I hope you all had a pleasant Xmas.  I was sorry [page 2] did not see you when we were up.  I feel very glad I came home with Mr. J as has been so cold, but do trust it will soon be warmer.  All seem very happy at your Aunt Mary's.  They send [?] the best & all your nice things for which they are very thankful. In May when it gets a little warmer you must be sure & come down & see us.  Annie was out here this afternoon and had [?undecipherable word].  You give love to Mamma and Papa & the boys & tell them all to come & see us when they can.  Mr. J sends love with love for yourself believe me as every your loving   Aunt Annie."


On 30 December 1887, Annie wrote the following letter:  The envelope was addressed to "Miss Mary Braden, Jefferson, Indiana, Clinton Co." and postmarked from Lafayette, Ind.  The letter follows:  

"LaFayette, Indiana
Dec. 30th /87 [1887]
Dear Laura & Mary,
I returned from F. [Frankfort?] last night.  Was very sorry was not able to see any of you while I was there.  It turned cold so suddenly & I felt I must get home.  [undecipherable word] a very pleasant Xmas.  St. Claus was very kind to me but no presents received prettier than yours & I prize them very much.  Your work is beautiful Mary & the handkerchief a beauty Laura.  I feel ashamed You did not take it to you Mary, supposed it was from her.  Please accept my sincere thanks.  The little things I made you I am sorry did not reach  you before Xmas, but trust you will get them tomorrow.  I left them at Millers but they are so little I feel ashamed of them.  I know you all spent a happy Xmas together if you did not have any one with you.  The children did not have a tree at Netties but had everything else.  This weather is dreadful & I do not feel I want to look out if it stays this way.  Mary I hope you will make up your mind to come & see us some day.  I do not believe you would be home sick.  I did enjoy your visit so much Laura but did repent to see you leave us in the rain.  Hope you will come soon again.  Tell Will & boys will be glad to see them any time.  Thank you again for the beautiful gifts & have a "Happy New Year" for all I am as ever your loving  Annie"
 


The 1891 Lafayette city directory shows them living at 110 South St., Lafayette.  Horatio is working as a bookkeeper.

On 27 December 1898, Annie wrote to her sister-in-law, Laura Braden.  The envelope was addressed to Mrs. William Braden, Mulberry, Indiana and postmarked at Lafayette, Ind.  Dec. 28, 1898  9 AM.  The letter follows:

"LaFayette  Dec 27th/98 [1898]
My dear Laura & Mary,
Please accept our sincere thanks for the beautiful remembrances you both sent us.  The cut glass is most beautiful & I shall always prise [sic] it, but it was entirely to [sic] nice for me.  Mr. J. wants me to thank you very much for the pretty handkerchief.
I know you all had a happy Christmas together & having a dear little baby to brighten all.  We all had a pleasant time together at sisters so many of us together & did wish every one might have been there.  Brother Hector came up Saturday and Add came out Sunday.  We came home yesterday morn.  Eleanor came with us.  In the afternoon we went up to Annie's  they had a tree for the baby & he was very happy with all his things.  His grandpa had given him a suit of clothes & he had them on & did look so happy & cunning [?] in them.  Fit him nicely.  & they think will keep him in them. but I will be sorry to see him leave off dresses as we will have no baby.  I would love to see your baby & know he will be a great pet.  Mary Spring seems very happy with her school & is anxious to go back.  I think is much more quiet.  They all had a good Xmas & Mary had the children all to dinner.

I do wish brother Alba was well & strong, but I am so thankful he is contented & happy at Sisters & does not seem to care to go to [undecipherable].  I am glad to know you & Will are better & hope the New Year may bring you every blessing.  Thanking you again for your lovely remembrance & with love for each & every one & wishing all a very Happy New year, I am as always   Annie."


The baby Annie mentioned at Laura's was undoubtedly William Robert Braden, son of Alba E. Braden and grandson of Laura and Will Braden. 

Annie and Horatio were in Lafayette, Indiana on the 1900 census.

On 29 March 1904, Annie wrote the following letter to her niece, Mary Jane Braden.  The envelope was addressed to Miss Mary Braden, Frankfort, Indiana, R.F.D. No 3. and postmarked at Lafayette, Ind  Mar 29  12-M  1904.  The letter reads:

"LaFayette  March 29"/04 [1904]
My dear Mary
Your kind letter just received this morn. & I hasten to thank you & tell you I will be very glad to get the mollasses [sic].  All is right but the trouble of your bringing the jug down.  If you will let me know day you can come Mr. J. will meet you, but if can not leave it in station 'till Mr. J. can go for it as do not want to make you any more trouble than have.  Will pay you when you come.  Mr. J. has not been well but think if warmer weather comes & he can get out will benefit him, but he is taking medicine from Dr. Smith which thinks is doing him good.  I was so sorry suit went against you but glad it was no worse & that it is over.  A letter from Aunt Nettie yesterday said wedding was very pretty & they had gone East some place.  Did you feel effects of  the terrible storm at your place.  Wabash is drowning[?] & Indianapolis has suffered much.  So many washouts Interurban has not been running.  Do not know how soon will have repairs made but everybody misses it.  A little sun shine this morn which makes one glad.  Lizzie had letter from little William after his birthday.  Said got just what he wanted, roller skates violin, game of finch & some money for his Bank.  Lizzie was up Saturday did not go home till after supper.  I hope you are all well.  I wrote your father a birthday letter, fear it was a little late when got it as Mr J did not go out & take to post.  Love for every one & come down whenever you can.
    Mr. J. sends love to all.  As always your devoted   Aunt Annie"


On 1 April 1907, Annie wrote to her sister-in-law and niece regarding the illness of her brother, Will.   The envelope was addressed to Miss Mary Braden, Frankfort, Indiana  RFD and postmarked at Lafayette, Ind  Apr 1, 1907  12-M.  It was postmarked on the reverse at Frankfort, Ind  Apr 1, 1907 2:30P.  The note follows:

"Monday Morn. April 1st/07 [1907]
My dear Laura & Mary
This morn have just learned brother Will's symptoms are not so favorable.  I am so distressed as Saturday Sister had written me Dr. felt he was doing all right & had little fever.  I hoped would find him without any when made next visit.  I cannot bear to think of his suffering in mind as well as body.  Know how much his mind dwells on the little Lambs of which he talked so much about when last here.  How much I wish could do something to assist you, but feel would only be in the way but if can do anything do not fail to call upon me.  I shall earnestly pray for his recovery & trust the dear Lord may spare him to us.  With love & sympathy for all.  Love for my dear brother if at any time he should be conscious enough to tell him.
            In [undecipherable word] from  Annie"


On 10 April 1907, Annie wrote again to Laura and Mary Jane.  The envelope was addressed to Miss Mary J. Braden, Frankfort, Indiana RFD and postmarked at Lafayette, Ind Apr 11, 1907 4:30P.  The letter follows:

"La Fayette April 10th/07 [1907]
My dear Laura & Mary,
I have you all in my mind constantly.  I cannot bring myself to realize my dear brother cannot come to me any more.  It all came so sudden not having seen him in his illness perhaps seems different from being with him.  I know how you all miss him in the home.  These dark gloomy days are depressing  I know you all have so much to do & this weather has kept you back with your work.  It seems so hard brother should have been unconscious- never able to tell you how he felt or if anything might like to tell you, but I know of no one I think would have been more resigned had he known his true condition.  I shall always remember his last time here.  So almost hurrying to get home did not want me to get him anything to eat - said would rather I sit down and talk with him, but I did not think looked well then.  Thinner than had seen him & said was not well.
I hope you are all feeling better.  All looked so tired and worn [?].  Glad you had a good nurse.  Mr J was sorry could not be with you that day but was afraid to make the drive.  Sends love & sympathy for all.  I thought the ministers remarks were very excellent. 

I hope your friend Miss Hoyt may come.  Will be a comfort to you all.
I hope you will all come & see us when you can.  Love for all at Alba's, dear little children will miss their grandpa.  Love for you both & Robert.
Mr. J sends love.   As Always    Annie B. Jennings"


On the 1910 census, they were found on Seventh Street in Lafayette:  "Jennings, H G P, head, mw 71, married 1 time for 42 years, born Indiana; Anna B, wife, fw 62, married 1 time for 42 years, no children, born Indiana."

On 18 September 1911, Annie wrote to her niece, Mary Jane Braden at Frankfort, Indiana, RFD No 7, Box 100.  It was postmarked: Lafayette, Sept. 18, 1911.  The letter follows: 
 

"Monday Sept. 18th 1911
My dear Niece and Nephew
    I was very glad to receive your card Saturday & I have a few minutes now & remember what you said about receiving letters.  I cannot realize you & Robert are living there alone, but I am very glad you both are well & getting along so nicely both so necessary to the other glad you do not feel afraid to be left alone as Robert must necessarily be away some times & at this season of year have more than your hands can do.  A letter from Sister this afternoon said you were in to see her Saturday.  She also wrote me of her visit to Brother & his reply to her when telling him Libbie wanted to go for a little visit (which I suppose she told you) hard to know what to do for him but I will soon be going down & see what can be done with Libbie.  So hard to have her keep him worried in this way.  I have wanted to ask you for some time if you know of any good people who would be kind to Daisy & want her just for driving as she has never done any work could not do it now.  I would be willing to give her to them.  Do you think the Miss Richards would like her.  Perhaps they would prefer a faster horse like yourself Mary.  I asked you once if you would care to have her, but do not think you said anything.  We also have the Phaeton which is in good repair.  I think been varnished since we last used it.  Would be glad to sell it if you know of any one.  We have kept Daisy three years in country thinking we might find some place to keep her but so far have not been able to find a private barn & I have decided would rather have some one using her if the right kind of person.  Mr. J is over at his game of chess.  Was sorry to miss you that day but you must both come again when can give us a visit.  Lizzie was up all day Saturday.  She & Henry came up yesterday afternoon & went out to Park.  I hope you will soon be through your busy work & can sit down & enjoy the winter.  Both of you come & see us when you can.  I will send love for Uncle R - Glad to hear from you any time & with much love as always            Aunt Annie"
 

By 1914, Annie and Horatio were living at 610 South S Street in Lafayette.

Anna and Horatio had no known children.

On 15 November 1914, Horatio Jennings died at his home in Lafayette, Indiana.  The cause of death was heart trouble.


The following obituary was found in the Sweetser Scrapbook at the Tippecanoe County Historical Association.  There is no date or newspaper noted on the clipping:


"DEATH OF PIONEER - Horatio G. P. Jennings Served With Distinction in Rebellion -- Leading Citizen.  --  Horatio G. P. Jennings died quite suddenly at 4 o'clock yesterday morning at his home, 610 South street.  He had been afflicted with palsy for several years, but was not confined to his home.  Saturday evening he started to the barber shop to get shaved, but when he reached Fifth and South streets he became weak and was assisted to his home.  He seemed to revive after reaching there, but at 3:30 o'clock yesterday morning Dr. James D. Hillis was called to attend him.  He was beyond medical aid and gradually grew weaker until the end came.  Mr. Jennings was born in this city 76 years ago and was a son of the late Dr. David Jennings.  He was educated in the local schools and took up telegraphy as a profession.  For a number of years he was employed by the Lake Erie & Western railroad and worked in this city, Frankfort and Ambia.  He served during the civil  war in the 47th Indiana infantry and rose to the rank of first lieutenant of General Slack's staff.  Deceased was one of the organizers of the Lafayette water works and for several years took an active part in the company's affairs.  Mr. Jennings had for the past 12 years lived a retired life.  He was a member of the Union Veteran Legion and was a man of rugged character.  Mr. Jennings was a member of St. John's Episcopal church and was a man of deep religious convictions.  He was married in this city 47 years ago to Miss Anna Braden, who survives.  He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Gertrude Orth, of Chicago.  The funeral will be held from the residence Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. George P. Torrence will officiate with interment in Springvale cemetery."

 Another undated obituary appears to have come from a Frankfort, Indiana newspaper:

"Brother-in-Law of Local Resident Dead at Lafayette.  Horatio G. P. Jennings, a brother-in-law of W. W. Garrott, of this city, died suddenly Sunday morning at his home, 610 South street, Lafayette.  His death was caused by heart trouble.  He had been afflicted with palsy for several years but had not been confined to his home.  The deceased was born in Lafayette 76 years ago.  For a number of years he was in the employ of the Lake Erie railroad company at Lafayette, Frankfort and Ambia.  Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 2:30 o'clock from his late residence."

Horatio was buried at Spring Vale cemetery in Lafayette, Indiana.

Annie wrote her will on 14 July 1922.  A transcription follows:

"I, Annie B. Jennings, of  Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana, being of sound mind and disposing memory, do hereby make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all wills and codicils heretofore made by me.

ITEM 1:  It is my will and wish that all of my just debts and funeral expenses be paid as soon after my death as practicable.

ITEM 2:  I will and bequeath to my beloved niece, Florence Garrott, daughter of  William F. Garrott, now residing in Frankfort, Indiana, the sum of thirty thousand dollars ($30,000.00).  In the event said Florence Garrott be not living at the time I depart this life, then the bequest hereby made to her shall go to her heirs, share and share alike.

ITEM 3:  I will and bequeath to my beloved niece, Eleanor Garrott Hockman, wife of Herbert Hockman, the sum of one thousand dollars, ($1,000.00); but if  she be not living at the time I depart this life, then the sum hereby willed to her shall go to her heirs, share and share alike.

ITEM 4:  I will and bequeath to my nephew, Alba Garrott, the son of William F. Garrott, the sum of  one thousand dollars, ($1,000.00); but if he should be dead at the time I depart this life then said sum shall go to his heirs, share and share alike.  This bequest is made only upon the condition that said Alba Garrott has returned to me the bonds which I furnished him for collateral security under an agreement, dated March 11, 1921, and in case of his failure to comply with said agreement, he shall receive nothing from my estate.

ITEM 5:  I will and bequeath the sum of one thousand dollars ($l,000.00), to each of the following named persons, vis: Annie D. Horn, my niece, wife of William Horn, now residing in Indianapolis, Indiana; Lizzie S. Anderson, my niece, wife of Henry Anderson, of Tippecanoe County, Indiana; Robert Spring, my nephew, now residing in Indianapolis, Indiana; Mary Braden, my niece, daughter of my departed brother, William Braden, now residing at Frankfort, Indiana; Robert Braden, my nephew, son of my departed brother, William Braden, now residing at Frank-fort, Indiana:, and Jane Hockman, my great niece, daughter of my niece, Eleanor Garrott Hockman, now residing at Frankfort, Indiana.

ITEM 6:  I will and bequeath the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00), to each of the following named persons, viz:  Laura Pavey, great-niece, daughter of my deceased nephew, Alba Braden, now residing at Frankfort, Indiana; William Braden, great-nephew, son of my deceased nephew, Alba Braden, now residing at Frankfort, Indiana; Ruth Spring, great-niece, daughter of my nephew, Robert Spring, now residing at Indianapolis, Indiana;  William Horn, great-nephew, son of my niece, Annie B. Horn, now residing at Indianapolis, Indiana, and Robert Horn, great-nephew, son of my niece, Annie B. Horn, now residing at Indianapolis, Indiana.

ITEM 7:  I will and bequeath to Dorothy Jenners and Emily Jenners, daughters of Frank Jenners, now residing at South Haven, Michigan, each the sum of one hundred dollars, ($100.00),

ITEM 8:  I will and bequeath to Anna Jenners, now residing at Lafayette, Indiana, if she be living at the time of my death, the sum of two hundred dollars ($200.00).

ITEM 9:  I will and bequeath to Star Garrott, wife of Alba Garrott, if she be living at the time of my death, the sum of one hundred dollars, ($100.00).

ITEM 10:  I will and bequeath to Tena Braden, wife of Robert Braden, if she be living at the time of my death, the sum of one hundred dollars, ($100.00).

ITEM 11:  In the event that I have not furnished a room in the proposed hospital to be built in Frankfort, Indiana, before I depart this life, than I hereby direct my executor hereinafter named to furnish two rooms in said hospital at the cost or not to exceed five hundred dollars, ($500.00), for each room, or a total of one thousand dollars, ($1,000.00), for the two rooms, and a plate to be placed on one door to read - "Furnished by Annie B. Jennings in memory of her husband, H. G. P. Jennings", and a plate to be placed on the other door to read -"Furnished by Annie B. Jennings in memory of her nephew, Braden Clark".

ITEM 12:  I will and bequeath to the Children's Home of' Lafayette, Indiana, situated on the corner of Tenth and Heath Streets, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00);

ITEM 13:  I will and bequeath to the foreign Mission Department of the Episcopal Church of Lafayette, Indiana, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00), and to the Episcopal Extension Work, under direction and supervision of the Episcopal Church of the United States, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00).

ITEM 14:  I will and bequeath to my niece, Mary Braden, daughter of my departed brother, William Braden, the large Wilton rug now on the floor in my living room.

ITEM 15:  I will and bequeath to my friend Ruby A. Dautel of Lafayette, Indiana, my Blushitan oriental rug now in the hallway at opening to my living room.

ITEM 16:  All the rest and residue of my household goods, wearing apparel, linens,  jewelry, china and silver wares, not heretofore disposed of by me, I hereby will and bequeath to my niece, Florence Garrott, to be retained or disposed of  by her  in such manner as she may see fit, but inasmuch as I am desirous that some of  my friends and relatives receive a small remembrance from me, I have made a list of such items of personal property, with the names of the persons to whom I desire to be so remembered attached, and will direct the said Florence Garrott to carry out such instructions, said list having been turned over to Florence Garrott by me.

ITEM 17:  All the rest and residue of my estate is hereby willed, devised  and bequeathed by me to my niece, Florence Garrott of Frankfort, Indiana.

ITEM 18:  I hereby appoint the Lafayette Loan and Trust Company executor of  this my last will and testament. 

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fourteenth day of July, 1922.

ANNIE B. JENNINGS (SEAL)

Signed, published and declared by said Annie B. Jennings, on this fourteenth day of July, 1922, to be her last will and testament;  in the presence of us, who, at her request, and in her presence, and in the presence of each other, have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses thereto.

WALTER J. DALL
GOLDIE L. FLUCK"


The 1929 Lafayette city directory lists Anna as the widow of Horatio residing at 715 South St., Lafayette.

On 15 September 1930, Annie added the following codicil to her will:

"I, the undersigned, Annie B. Jennings, of Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana, having heretofore on the fourteenth day of July, 1922, executed my last will and testament do hereby make, publish and declare the following as a codicil to said last will and testament.

First:   Under Item numbered two (2) of my last will and testament, executed by me on July 14th, 1922, I bequeathed to my niece, Florence Garrott, the sum of thirty thousand dollars, ($30,000.00).  At the time of this bequest, I expected without any question of doubt, that my nephew, Alba Garrott, would have  returned to me the bonds, which I furnished him as collateral security under an agreement, dated March 11th , 1921, but said Alba Garrott has failed to return said bonds and my estate is consequently reduced, and in order to pay all the bequests as provided for in my said will, I hereby revoke said item numbered two (2) in said will and, in lieu thereof, hereby will and bequeath to my beloved niece, Florence Garrott, daughter of William W. Garrott, now residing in Frankfort, Indiana, the sum of twenty thousand dollars, ($20,000.00).  In the event said Florence Garrott be not living at the time I depart this life, then the bequest hereby made to her shall go to her heirs, share and share alike.

Second:  I hereby revoke Item numbered eleven (11) of my last will and testament, as I expected to furnish two rooms in the hospital built at Frankfort, Indiana, as a memorial to my departed  husband, H. P. Jennings, and myself, and being unable to do so under the rules of said hospital, I therefore revoke the bequest made under said Item numbered eleven (11).

Third:  I hereby will and bequeath to the Lafayette Home Hospital, of Lafayette, Indiana, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00).

Fourth:  I hereby will and bequeath to the Lutheran Mulberry Home for Aged People at Mulberry, Indiana, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00).

Fifth:  I  hereby will and bequeath to Georgianna Hiller, wife of Ray Hiller, of Lafayette, Indiana, the sum  of one hundred dollars, ($100.00).

Sixth:  I hereby will and bequeath to my friend, Ruby A. Dautel, of Lafayette, Indiana, the sum of five hundred dollars, ($500.00).  This bequest is made not only from my friendship, but also from my appreciation of the help and assistance she has rendered me for many years past.

Seventh:  I hereby ratify and confirm any and all bequests, conditions and directions contained in my said will, executed by me on July 14th, 1922, which have not been revoked by this codicil.

Eighth:  I hereby nominate and appoint the Lafayette Loan and Trust Company to be the executor under this codicil as well as to ratify and confirm the appointment of said Lafayette Loan and Trust Company as executor of my original will, dated July 14th, 1922.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fifteenth day of September, 1930. 

ANNIE B. JENNINGS  (seal)

Signed, sealed, published and declared by said Annie B. Jennings on September 15, 1930, to be a codicil to her last will and testament, in the presence of us, who, at her request and in her presence, and in the presence of each other, have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses thereto.

GOLDIE  L. FLUCK
MARIE SHAFF"


On 6 October 1931, Anna Marie (Braden) Jennings died at the home of her niece, Florence Garrott in Frankfort, Indiana.  Cause of death was "hardening of the arteries."  She was 84 years old.

An obituary appeared in the Frankfort Times on 7 October 1931:

"Pioneer of County Dies.  Death Comes to Mrs. Anna Jennings; Funeral to be On Friday.  A real pioneer of the county passed away yesterday morning when Mrs. Anna Jennings, age 84, died at the home of a niece, Miss Florence Garrott, 658 East Clinton Street, following an illness of more than a year with infirmities and complications incident to her advanced age.  Funeral services will be held from the Garrott residence Friday afternoon at 1:15 o'clock.  These services will be short and the remains will be taken to Lafayette where services will be held in the St. John Episcopal church with Rev. Thornton officiating.  Burial will be in Springvale Cemetery.  Mrs. Jennings was the daughter of pioneers who left their home in Virginia on Oct. 28, 1828 and came overland through West Virginia and Ohio and finally settled in Jefferson, where her father, Burr Braden, is said to have opened the first grocery store.  Anna Braden was born in Jefferson, the little frame house still standing in the village.  She grew to young womanhood and was united in marriage to Horace Jennings.  The young couple established their residence in Lafayette.  During her long years of residence there she was active in the affairs of St. John Episcopal church.  Last February she was brought to the home of her niece here and had continued to make that residence her home.  She was the last member of a family of eleven children, the only survivors being nieces and nephews."

Anna was buried at Springvale Cemetery, Lafayette, Indiana.




2 comments:

  1. As a member and researcher of the Jennings family that married into your family, I am thrilled to see your beautiful posts that make these folks come alive. Fist I read about Ann D. Jenners, who married Peter S. Jennings (Henry 1775 - 1839; David 1740 - 1794) and now this beauty about Horatio Jennings (David 1804 - 1866; Levi 1771 - 1837; David 1740 - 1794). Have not read more to see if you knew these two Jennings men were related (1st cousins once removed). I have been researching the David Jennings (1740) and wife Sarah Cushman (1743 - 1827) family for several years. Sarah Cushman was a Mayflower descendant, so any kids from the Jennings men in your family are also. Thanks so much for sharing. The letters are just amazing. Diane Tichenor, Macomb, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comment. Yes, I knew that Peter and Horatio were 1st cousins once removed. I did not know, however, that Sarah Cushman was a Mayflower descendant. Horatio Jennings and Anna Braden did not have children, and so far I have found no living descendants of Ann D. Jenners and Peter Jennings, though I have looked for them. Part of my goal in writing these stories is to find other researchers and family interested in these people. Glad you found them interesting. - Sue

    ReplyDelete