Monday, November 30, 2015

Hankinson Attic Photos: Bill & Cora Heley

William & Cora (Olson) Heley & family
This photo found in the attic of the John R. Jones house in Hankinson, North Dakota is identified as Bill and Cora (Olson) Heley.  Mrs. Heley was identified as Mary Carol Jones' second grade teacher.  Her obit states that she had been a school teacher in North Dakota.

I found the family on the 1930 census in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.  That matches the photo studio location.  The census shows Will and Cora Heley with their children Frances (11), Raymond (9) and Dorothy (7).  They were still in Fergus Falls on the 1940 census.  The 1920 census shows the family in Brightwood, Richland Co., North Dakota.  Only the oldest daughter, Frances, was born at that time, but living with them was Cora's sister, Margarite Olson.  This is, I believe, the Margarite that was a girlfriend of Harold Jones.  Margarite was listed as a teacher in grade school.

This is probably the William A. Heley born 15 November 1886 in North Dakota.  On his 1917 draft registration, he is married and states that he is a partner in a lumber firm in Hankinson.  I wonder if he was a partner with John R. Jones?  He died 29 May 1976 in Fergus Falls. 

Cora (Olson) Heley was born 26 February 1886 in North Dakota and died in Fergus Falls, Minnesota on 28 December 1973.

The original of this photo has been given to a family member and is no longer in my possession.



4 comments:

  1. Sue, please contact me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear "Unknown" - I'd love to contact you, but you either have to give me your contact info or email me directly at sdbeach22 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my Grandparents with my Mom, Aunt and Uncle. I understand you have been in contact with my cousin, Janet Ekberg.
    I am impressed with the work you have research with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the picture is on its way to Janet right now. She has identified some other family, too. Glad you like the blog. It makes it all worthwhile when I am able to connect with other family members.

    ReplyDelete