Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Postcard: Margaret (Jones) Hofmann to John S. Jones, Oct. 7, 1913

What a busy and crazy summer and fall this has been.  I hope that things have settled enough that I can start posting regularly again.  I'm eager to get back to my research and also eager to start sharing information with other researchers again. 

******

Today I am sharing a postcard in my possession that was sent by Margaret (Jones) Hofmann to her brother, John S. Jones, dated 7 October 1913.  The postcard is addressed to:  Mr. John S. Jones, Ripon, Wisconsin  c/o Ripon College.



Here is the transcription of the message:  "This is our fifth day out.  The sea has been calm.  The steamship company has made nothing on me in way of meals.  We reach Honolulu to-morrow night, have a day there, then start on our long sail to Japan.  from Margaret." 

On 1 October 1913, Margaret Jones sailed from the U.S. to be a missionary in China.  She was 25 years old and still single.  This postcard indicates that she sailed on the S.S. Mongolia.

Her brother, John S. Jones, was a student at Ripon College in Ripon, Wisconsin from Fall 1913 to sometime in 1915.

No comments:

Post a Comment