Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Letter: Blanche Munn to Minnie Stilwell, March 12, 1871

For quite some time, I've been wanting to scan, transcribe and post the letters I have from Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones's family.  It seems like such a big job.  But the letters need to be put in archival storage, so I decided I should start working on them a bit at a time.  I've posted a few in the past and I think I will create a page linking to them all.

The Stilwell Sisters with identification

This letter was written by Mary's married sister, Celia Blanche Munn.  The family called Mary "Minnie" and Celia went by her middle name, "Blanche."  Minnie was 9 years old.  Blanche was 26.  Others mentioned are their parents, Lonson and Mary K. (White) Stilwell; their grandmother, probably Betsey White; their sister, Hannah; their brother, Warren; their sister, Annette ("Nett"); and their youngest sister, Edy (Edith).  I don't recognize Miss Hanchett, Mr. H. or Jennie.

Here is link to an overview of the Stilwell family:  The Family of Lonson Stilwell and Mary K. White



Here is my transcription.  There were a couple of words I just can't make out.



Letter addressed:  Miss Minnie Stilwell, Box 25, Metomen, Fond du Lac Co., Wisconsin

Postmark: Fond Du Lac Mar 13 Wis



March 12, 1871



Dear little Sister Minnie

                When I returned from Waupun, I found your nicely written and composed letter awaiting me.  I was very much pleased to receive it, for I had felt a little jealous because you wrote to Hannah so often and not to me at all.  You’re going to make a good writer.  You write plainer now than I do.  You must take pains and not spoil your hand by writing carelessly as I have.

                I enjoyed my visit at Waupun very well, but not so well as I anticipated, for Miss Hanchett was sick with toothache all the time I was there.  Mr. H. was not at home at all.  He wrote Jennie he staid at Father’s one night.  Said he enjoyed it very much.  I am coming home as soon as the roads get better.  If Han stays four weeks longer, I shall have time 2 go after it is settled weather[?].  Tell  [unreadable word] we are very glad she has concluded to let her stay and so is she.   I want you to make calculations to come home with me when I go to make a visit.  Your school will be closed by that time.  You can bring your books and get your lessons here and I can help you recite them.  We will have a nice time.  I will write you about a week before you come.  Mrs. Smith can have time to get you early, and if she has any sewing she wants done for you we have that early too, for I can do it as well as she.  Kiss little Miss Edy for me and tell her I want to see her awful bad.  Tell her when she gets a little older I will write her.  Tell her she must take good care of Grandma and not let her get sick again.  Kiss Warren and tell him I would like to have him write me.  It will be a good way for him 2 learn.  I suppose he will be into the spring work soon.  Tell him not to work too hard and to come and see us the next time Father and Mother come.  Love to all, yourself included.  Write me again.

                                                Your loving sister

                                                                                Blanche Munn

P.S. Tell Nett 2 write


No comments:

Post a Comment