Friday, October 9, 2020

Letter to Minnie Stilwell from Cora (last name unknown)

 This letter from Cora to Minnie E. Stilwell is addressed: "Miss Minnie E. Stilwell, Ripon, Fond du lac Co., Wis." and postmarked "Lime Springs, Ioa, Jan. 16."  However, the letter is dated Saturday, Aug. 27th, so I wonder if it is stored in the wrong envelope? There is no year, but August 27th fell on a Saturday in 1881 and 1887, so it is likely one of those years.   Here is a transcription of the letter:

                                                 "Saturday Afternoon,   Spring Valley, Aug. 27th

My Darling Friend,

    I have just finished my work for to day, and am feeling rather tired, but thought I would try and write you for it has been sometime since I received your precious letter, but I am afraid that if  I waited until I felt just like it, I would not write many letters, for to tell the truth I have felt miserable all summer.  The heat uses me up.  It is so warm today there is scarcely breath of air stirring.  It seems as if I should smother.  It looks some like rain and I really hope it will.  That is, if it makes it any cooler.  I shall be rather glad when winter comes, but hope it will not be quite as hard as last.  There comes two of the girls here now so I suppose I will have to leave this and go down stairs.  A pretty looking sight I am to (sic).  I sat down to write with my old dress and slippers on thinking what an easy time I would have writing to you but it is just my luck to get caught looking like a fright (always look the most natural there).  I always enjoy having the girls call.  Some of them are here every day and I go to see them quite often.

    Well the girls have gone and I went down town with them and when I returned had to get supper and do up the work and have but just got settled.  Wonder what will happen next.  Mother scolds sometimes and think (sic) I go most too much, but whats the use I have got to have some fun anyway.  There is nothing going on now, but then you know in town there is some place to go or some girl after me to go down town.  And that is the way it goes.  Oh if you girls only lived near me so I could see you once in awhile.  I know I should be perfectly happy.  You don't know how often I think of it.  It seems sometimes as if I would do almost anything to see you.  I do wish you and Edie could come out and make me a visit.  I am almost sure you would like it here and I know we would enjoy ourselves talking at least.  I believe I can beat you girls at that now, for I have had to do so much of it out here.  Have had to do so much begging for the church.  Us girls have made over eighty dollars to help pay the interest.  Don't you think that is pretty good for such young ones.  It is late so I will have to retire and finish this in the morning.  I guess you will think I had better for I have written so poorly, but I am awful nervous, the children act so.  Good night dear, pleasant dreams.

    Sunday morning has dawned clear and bright, not much cooler than yesterday but very pleasant nevertheless.  The second bell for church is just ringing but I guess I will not go this morning.  Father and Grandpa are going.  I suppose I ought to but twice a day is about all I can stand for I never stay out of Sabbath School, if I can help it.

    Yes I to (sic) am glad to live where I can attend church regularly.  I think I appreciate it more fully now for being deprived of it so much when at Wis.  Mother scolds me for not going in the morning instead of evening.  She thinks it is better for girls, but I don't.  I have my reasons, for tonight I am going with a new fellow.  That is, am not very well acquainted with as I have been with him but twice.  He came home with me from church two evenings, but I like him quite well.  Think he is terrible cute.  Since I found out that I have lost Emmett for good, I am perfectly reckless.  Too bad, isn't it?  I guess I shall get over it after awhile.  Well, how is it with you?  Do you feel as badly as ever?  I am sorry for you, but cheer up, Minn.  There are lots of others.  So E.A.K. is going to marry a grass widow twenty six years old.  I think they are both most to (sic) young don't you?  I must not talk so.  Please don't say anything about what I write, for to tell the truth I am glad he has found some one and I hope she will have a good influence over him for he needs some one to watch over him.

    So Willie is out again, is he?  That is too bad.  I do hope he will have better luck next time.  Well I guess this will do on that subject.

    I went out in the country last Thursday to a quilting.  Had a splendid time.  There were seventeen girls.  Three of us stayed all night and did not get home until next afternoon.  We got the quilt nearly off.  It seemed so nice to get out of town and quite natural to me, or would if I could only looked away and seen your pleasant home, as I used to do.  I was looking at that picture of your family the other and you all looked so natural it seemed as if some of you must speak to me.  I must tell Warren what the girls say when they look at it.  Who is that cute fellow?  And then I always tell them that it doesn't look nearly as well as he does.  Don't get discouraged for I will send you my photo one of these days.  When I can get some good ones taken, which I can not here.  Elva is jabbering away.  She can't say words yet, but grows like a weed.  I know she would like to see her auntie.  Etta & Lillie send a kiss to your mother & father.  Send love to all.  They will write to Charlie & Nett before long but the do act so about writing letters.  Seem to think that I can do it all.  I will send you a piece of my new calico dress.  Its not so very handsome but the best I could get here.  It has three ruffles on the underskirt... overskirt and sack shirred at the back of the waist and the same in the front.  I am going to have a new worsted dress.  I want dregs of wine but have not decided yet.  I suppose you are glad that Mati has got home.  I wrote to her last.  Write soon.  With much love and many kisses I remain as ever your loving friend      Cora

Will answer Edie's letter soon."

 There is not enough info here to identify Cora.  She seems to be a friend and possibly a former neighbor of Minnie's.  She mentions Minnie's siblings: Edith, Annette, Warren.  

Also enclosed in the letter are two scraps of fabric that must be from the dress Cora mentions.


 


 


 


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment