Thursday, April 30, 2020

Letter from Blanche Munn to Minnie Stilwell, no date

The following letter from Blanche (Stilwell) Munn to her younger sister, Mary Elva "Minnie" Stilwell does not have an envelope or date.  However, from the contents, I suspect it was written in late 1870 or early 1871.  Blanche married Frank Munn in 1867, so it was certainly written after that.  Other letters in my possession indicate that Blanche & Minnie's sister, Hannah, was visiting Blanche in late 1870 to early 1871, so I suspect that is a good estimate for this letter.  In addition, Hannah married in 1878, so it must be before that.  And Blanche addresses the letter to "little Minnie," which makes me believe Minnie was a young person.  In 1870, she would have been 9 - old enough to read and write, but still young enough to be called "little Minnie."

Here is the letter:

"Dear little Minnie
        I have just finished a letter to Lucien and now I will answer your nice letter.  I meant to have done so before but have been very busy.  You must forgive me this time and I will do better in future.  Frank and Han are playing Black Gamble like good children amusing themselves while I am writing.  Han is having quite a time with us two (?) don't you think?  Tell Mother I will keep her busy about something.  Is Nettie there yet?  I suppose you go to school all the time.  How do you like Miss Lyon?  Tell me what you study besides spelling and reading.  Frank and I speak often of the nice visit we had when you were here.  Frank thinks a great deal of you.  You must be a good little girl and maybe Mother will let you come out next spring again when your school is closed.  Tell her I wish she would send me the pattern of those little baby shirts made with sleeves cut all together.  I am going to make Clem and Lucy each one for their baby.  Have you seen little Frank Munn.  Tell Mother also to send me the number of stitches she put in my stocking.  Write me soon and answer all my questions.  Tell Warren to write me.  Kiss him and little sister Edy for me.  Give much love to all and don't forget to write to
                                          Your loving sister
                                          Blanche Munn"







No comments:

Post a Comment