Monday, December 30, 2019

Letter: Jennie Pinch to Minnie Stilwell, June 1882


This letter, written to Mary Elva Stilwell in June 1882, confirms my suspicions that the writer of the previous letter was indeed Jennie Pinch.  

Transcription:

Letter to Miss M.E. Stilwell, Ripon, Wisconsin
From Jennie Pinch
Postmarked: Rockford, Ill  June 2, 10 AM

                                                            Rockford, Ill., June 1, 1882
Dear Love:
            You are longing for a letter from me and this I know but my but my young gentlemen cousins - don’t be jealous now – have taken up so much of my attention that I have for a moment at a time perhaps, ceased to think of you.  Well what shall I tell you of first.  Possibly I may be somewhat egotistical but tell me truly would you not rather hear of me than all besides?  I love to tease, though, as you well know my dear one, so I shall write only of my extensive journey and the friends I have met since I came here.   It was with a downcast heart that I seated myself in the car at F.D.L. which was to carry me out of my native state, but once under headway my drooping spirits revived and I managed to scrape acquaintance with a gentleman so had a pleasant time as a matter of course.  At Harvard I had to wait four mortal hours with only my own thoughts and a not over interesting novel for company.
            Nevertheless I managed to live through it all and when I arrived in R. there were only eleven of my numerous relatives at the depot to meet me.  It brought back recollections of “Pinafore” with its uncles and cousins.  The aunts were minus.  Those that I had seen before all looked natural but those that I had not seen were entirely different from what I expected to find them.  I wonder if any one ever did picture out their unseen friends rightly.  I think I shall have a very pleasant visit.  Have not seen much of the city yet as the weather has not been very favorable for drives or walks thus far.  I tell you my cousins are simply immense.  George, the one you have heard me speak of so often, is a “irresistible duck.”  I do believe after all that I will fall in love with him and give some other folks the grand bounce.  Pardon the slang but nature will out once in a while.  Oh yes, then there is a certain Horace Wellington here who is one of the finest tenor singers in the city, a cousin of my cousins.  So you see I have a good chance of getting well acquainted with him.
            Well Minnie, dear, I have fooled my cousin completely.  Told him that I was writing to my fellow and that he could read the letter and now I will finish it in another strain.  I am having a perfectly delightful time.  My uncle lives in a grand house.  I feel almost lost.  I don’t know whether I shall be home in time for commencement or not.  If the girls decide to go home with me, I shall have to wait until after their school closes.  I am going East in the fall so my visit here will have to be much shorter than I intended it to be.  Be sure and answer this as soon as you receive it and I will tell you all about the place in my next.  The first of this is rather sentimental but I wrote it so just to fool George.  He read it and actually thinks I have written to the One.    Love to all the folks.
                                                            Your loving,
                                                            Jennie
How is J.R.  Do not fall in too deep.
Is Warren home from Minn.  Effie said she thought she saw him in church.  Did he get tired of the place?   Again, Jen.
Address Jennie Pinch
              Rockford, Ill                   Box 1050.    



  

I have made no attempt to do additional research on the Pinch family.  From this letter, Jennie clearly had relatives in Rockford, Illinois, but it is unclear whether they are her mother or her father's family.  
The only other people mentioned are someone named Effie who I cannot identify from the letter's information; Warren, who is Minnie's brother, Warren Stilwell; and J.R. who must be Minnie's future husband, John R. Jones.  From the comment "How is J.R.  Do not fall in too deep." it seems that Minnie has confided to Jennie that she is interested in John R.  It should be noted that John R. left Ripon College (where he and Minnie met) in 1882.  In 1886, he married Victoria Hamilton.  He and Minnie Stilwell did not marry until 1892, ten years after this letter was written.


No comments:

Post a Comment