Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Chip in A Brickwall - Joseph M. Rheuble - Update

I wrote about my husband's great-grandfather, Joseph Markwood Rheuble, HERE

At the time I wrote the post, Joseph was a brickwall ancestor.  But thanks to a comment left on that page (thank you, Kim!), I have some new clues to work with.  Kim's comment also helped me take Joseph's line back a couple more generations, though I still have a LOT of research to do to fill in the families.

Kim's comment providing me with a clue is one of the reasons I write this blog.  I hope I am helping other researchers and I am always excited to hear from others with clues and insight into the lines I'm researching.  Unfortunately, Kim didn't leave me her email address and so I have not yet been successful in making direct contact with her, but I will keep trying.

So from Kim's comment I learned that her great-grandfather, Solomon Isaac Ruble, was a brother of Joseph Markwood Rheuble.  Their parents were George Ruble and Susannah (or Susan) Coffman.  Susannah was George's second wife.  She also provided a link to the marriage record of Joseph to his wife, Louisa V. Sherman.  They were married 31 July 1893 in Shenandoah Co., Virginia. 

I next contacted my friend, Marty Hiatt, who is an excellent professional researcher specializing in Virginia.  (If you ever need to hire a researcher, I highly recommend her.  Contact me and I'll put you in touch.)  Marty had a contact in Shenandoah County who was willing to visit the courthouse and find the original marriage record for me.  She sent it to me today.  Thank you so much, Nonna!

Shenandoah Co. Marriage Book

Line 99 is Joseph M. Ruble and Louisa V. Sherman


This confirms what Kim told me.  Joseph M. Rheuble/Ruble was the son of George Ruble and Susan Coffman.  He was born in Grant Co., West Virginia.  And he was 21 in July 1893 (so born about 1872).

Next I did some basic research on George Ruble and Susannah Coffman.  While I have not filled in their lives or children, yet, I did find some promising clues.

Shenandoah Co. Marriage Book showing Ruble to  Coffman marriage
Line 17 (first entry) on this Register of Marriages from Shenandoah Co., Virginia shows George Ruble, a widower, marrying Susannah Coffman.  It gives their ages and places of birth (Shenandoah Co., Va for George; Hardy Co., Va for Susannah).  And it gives their parents names, taking those lines back yet another generation:  George and Cath. (probably Catherine) Ruble and John and Sarah J. Coffman.

George and Susannah were married May 11, 1868.

This gives me lots of clues to pursue.  I will add updates as this line unfolds. 

Here is an updated descendant chart for the Ruble/Rheuble line as I now have it sketched out (FAR from complete):



George Ruble
+Catherine (--?--)
George Ruble, b. circa 1819 at Shenandoah Co., VA
    +unknown 1st wife (--?--)
    +Susannah Coffman, b. 7 Apr 1839 at Hardy Co., WV, m. 11 May 1868 at Grant Co., WV, d. 7 Apr 1901 at Grant Co., WV
    John Wesley Ruble
       +Ollie Mae Scott
    Solomon Isaac Ruble, b. Jun 1868 at Lehmansville, WV, d. 24 May 1941
       +Nora Lusilvia Lyons
       Eva V Ruble, b. 5 Jul 1901, d. 24 Nov 1909
       Nannie P. Ruble, b. 4 Aug 1904, d. 29 Nov 1909
       Jessie Violet Ruble, b. 24 Dec 1915 at Oakmont, Mineral Co., WV, d. 19 Jan 2000 at Oakland, Garrett Co., MD
       Lawrence Isaac Ruble, b. 24 Aug 1917 at Elk Garden, Mineral Co., WV, d. 2 Jul 1972 at Keyser, Mineral Co., WV
       Estel Alston Ruble Sr, b. 1919, d. 2009
       +Nancy Katherine Inman, b. 7 Apr 1866, m. 31 Mar 1922 at Keyser, Mineral Co., WV, d. 11 Sep 1951
    Joseph Markwood Rheuble, b. 6 Feb 1872 at Grant Co., WV, d. 20 Oct 1944 at Jefferson Twp., Montgomery Co., OH
        +Louisa Virginia Sherman, b. 27 Jan 1867 at Hardy Co., WV, m. 31 Jul 1893 at Shenandoah Co., VA, d. 15 Jan 1935 at Dayton, Montgomery Co., OH
        Overton Lee Rheuble, b. 6 Jun 1891 at Moorefield, WV, d. 25 Feb 1973
        Cleal Francis Rheuble, b. 15 May 1893 at Medley, WV, d. 27 Oct 1950
        Ollie M. Rheuble, b. 15 Nov 1895 at WV, d. 5 Nov 1973
        Lula Helen Rheuble, b. 15 Nov 1895 at WV, d. 9 Oct 1972
        Lester Rheuble, b. circa 1898 at Medley, WV, d. circa 1939 at Chilocothe, OH
        Anna Rheuble, b. 6 Aug 1900, d. 11 Nov 1982 at OH
        George Samuel Rheuble, b. 19 Sep 1903, d. 29 Oct 1973
        Lemuel Rheuble, b. 19 Oct 1905, d. circa 1907
        Joseph Wellington Rheuble, b. 19 Oct 1905 at Moorfield, Hardy Co., WV, d. 17 May 1960 at Dayton, Montgomery Co., OH
        Alberta Rheuble, b. 11 Sep 1907 at WV

No comments:

Post a Comment