Friday, December 18, 2015

Alba H. Braden, 1839-1899

Alba H. Braden
Alba H. Braden was born 7 July 1839 on the family farm near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  His parents were Burr and Mary D. (Jenners) Braden.  He was probably named for his uncle, Alba Jenners.   While numerous documents confirm that Alba's middle initial is "H," I have not yet found any document that states his full middle name.

He is found with his parents and siblings on the 1850 census for the town of Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  He was listed as being 10 years old and having attended school during that year. 

On 6 December 1861, when Alba was 22 years old, his father, Burr died. 

Alba was mentioned in a letter from his brother, Robert (who was serving in the Army) to their sister, Sarah, dated 27 October 1862: 

"So Alba is promoted to the high office of Chief Chore Master for Mother!  I wish him joy in his new "sphere", and trust that he will learn to combine Opic cum dignitate.  I have a dim recollection - softened I am happy to say by time and distance - of what "doing up a few chores" means, "When the fall time comes" and Mother's gentle tones are heard, "Now, Alba when you are done sorting those potatoes you may take down this grape vine and cover it with corn stalks" and so on ad infinitum, and I think I see the look of "holy ineffable peace" which shadows Alba's face, as he moves with springy, elastic step to execute his welcome mission!  - And what a nice handy boy he is for such business: so quick and so industrious!" 

By January 1863, Alba was in Crawfordsville, Indiana, apparently staying with his brother, Hector and Hector's wife, Mary, when he wrote the following letter to his sister, Sarah:

 "Crawfordsville, 24th Jany  Sunday night

My Dear Sister,

Your so kind and so long looked for got here after a long time, safe and sound, but awfully soiled.  it looked as if some P.M. had rubbed his inky fingers all over it and then dropped it in the mud in trod on it.  that was all on the outside.  the inside I am happy to say was clean clear and sister like.  And I am very much obliged to you indeed for remembering to write me at all.  And will now add that I hope you will do so time & again.  I got two or three letters from home last week.  All well.  And I have some news for you, which is news.  What do you think, Bill is to be married the 1st of March.  did you ever? &c  And more.  he is to marry my Patsey.  So I reccon [sic] this is the last letter you will ever get from your heart broken brother Alba.  Pity me oh pity poor me.  The last three 1/2 lines are all stuff & bombast - for I am truly thankfull [sic] that things are as they "is".  for to tell you a fact (of which you are doubtless aware,) I never had any notion of marrying the gal nor she me. (I hope) and had come to the conclusion to tell her so, when I heard the above astounding report.  Bill writes me every week.  1st he wrote me asking release of all claims on Patsey.  I sent in my resignation.  He accepted  it thankfully.  Next letter told me how he was getting along, time of the happy event, &c &c.  Gene [?] and Anna wrote me last week, telling me of some of his talk, which sounds just like him. Here is a sample.  he says he will not go on a bridal-tour, but will get spliced about noon, take dinner, and then go down to the farm.  Says he must get the chills broken ere that time, as marrying is very trying on a man, and the two combined will finish him entirely.  I would not miss being up there at the occasion for worlds, nor would you if you could only get there, but never mind I will try and send you a report of the time in full.  I got a letter from Coz Ann & Bettie.  They report all well.  Bettie is coming up here soon to go up home with me.  says she is very sorry that you can't be up there at the same time.  so am I.  You remember I told you how you would miss me when I went away.  I hope you have for I have missed you of an evening when I sit here all alone and I would love to see you dearly.  When are you coming back.  you did not say one word about it.  I got a letter from Rob last eve.  all well.  he was at Fayetteville were ordered to march the next morning at 8 a.m. thought they would go to Little Rock, I hope so to, for then we could hear oftener & sooner.  Goodby & write me soon.  Mary sends her best love & Heck to.  Likewise your affect. Bro  Ab"




The "Patsey" referred to in Alba's letter is probably his brother William's first wife, Martha Hester Campbell, who married William in March 1863 and died in December 1863 of "consumption."



On 5 September 1863, Alba's mother, Mary D. (Jenners) Braden died.  Alba was 24.

Alba lived for most of his adult life in Crawfordsville, Montgomery Co., Indiana.  He never married and we know of no children.

On the 1870 census for Crawfordsville, he is shown in the household of Eli Wilhite, probably as a boarder, and is listed as 31 years old and an "express agent."  On the 1880 census for Crawfordsville, Alba is listed as a lodger in the household of D. W. Wilson: "Braden, A.H., wm 41, Lodger, Single, Agent Met & Am Express."  I have not yet found Alba on the 1860 census; he is not listed with his parents and siblings in Clinton Co.

On 20 November 1893, Alba wrote the following to his brother, William: 

"Crawfordsville, Ind.  Nov 20/93

My dear Brother,

Your's of the 18th inst, duly rec'd & contents noted.  Enclosed I hand you dft for $200.- as per request and trust it will reach you in good time.  I hope you & your family are all well.  Give my love to all, and be good to your self -
        As ever & ever   your bro  A.H."


On 4 January 1895, Alba wrote to his brother, William's wife and daughter:

"Crawfordsville, Ind.  Jany 4/95

Dear Laura & Mary,
I expected to write you long ago, thanking you for your kind Christmas remembrance, but the truth is I have been so busy that have not had time to do near so much as I wanted to do.  The cup & saucer you so kindly sent me will come very handy when I go to housekeeping and will always remind me of Laura, who gave it - when ever I drink my coffee.  And for you dear Mary, that cake was tiptop.  You certainly must have taken early lessons from your Mama.  It was my favorite kind of cake and was most excellent.
I am glad to learn that William & Rob. are getting along so well, even they have the horse business to keep them busy.
I am obliged to you for invitation, and no preventing Providence, I will certainly get up to see you all this coming summer.
We have had nice winter weather until the last two weeks which have been quite cold --
Love to all and a great deal for both of you,
As ever, your brother   Alba"


By about November 1898, Alba's health was not good and he had moved to Frankfort, Indiana to live with his sister, Sarah D. (Braden) Clark, at 408 E. Clinton St.

On 9 September 1899, Anna Braden sent the following note to her brother, Will, regarding their brother, Alba.  The envelope was addressed to Mr. William M. Braden, Frankfort, Indiana and postmarked at Frankfort, Ind. on Sept 9 '89.  The note follows:  

"Frankfort Ind  Friday 8
Dear Brother Will -
Dear brother Alba began sinking very fast last eve, his cough & the mucus [sic] is so troublesome can not raise anything himself.  He can not endure much longer.  I write this that you may get it & come over when you receive it.
With love from [unreadable word]    Sister Annie"


Alba H. Braden died at 2:00 p.m. on 9 September 1899 at the home of John G. and Sarah (Braden) Clark, 408 E. Clinton St., Frankfort, Indiana.  He was buried at Springvale Cemetery, Lafayette, Indiana.

The following obituary appeared in the Crawfordsville Weekly Journal for 15 September 1899 (page 9, col. 3):





 

No comments:

Post a Comment