Saturday, August 5, 2017

Postcard to Miss Cassie Williams from A.C.R., 4 May 1910

I came across this postcard the other day while helping my mom sort through some boxes.  Not sure how it came to be in my mom's stuff since we don't know Cassie Williams. 

front



back

The card is addressed to Miss Cassie Williams, 1536 N Main Ave., Scranton, Pa.  

The message was written from Frederica, Delaware on 5/4/10 (May 4, 1910).  It reads:

"The same on both sides (Thoughts of You)  I am getting along very nicely  I haven't smoked yet.  If I knew I would get what we were last talking about I never would.  ACR."

A rather cryptic message.  I wish ACR had signed his/her complete name.

1536 N Main Ave., Scranton, PA is now the location of an auto sales place.

On the 1910 census for Lackawanna Co., Pennsylvania, I found a Cassie Williams, single, born about 1877, age 33, who worked as a bookkeeper in a department store.  She was living with her parents, John and Ann Williams (both age 70) and siblings, Jennie and Frank Williams.  I suspect this might be the correct Cassie Williams.

The family is found in 1900 in the same place.  The daughter of the correct age is shown as Catherine Williams, born August 1877, single, and working as a bookkeeper.

On 14 September 1912, this Catherine Williams married a Frank Covert in Detroit, Michigan.  The 1920 census shows Frank and Catherine living in East Pennsboro, Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania.  The 1930 census shows Frank and Catherine in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  And in 1935, they were in Volusia Co., Florida.  Frank was 60 and Catherine was 59.  None of the censuses show any children.

Without more information, I can't be sure that the Cassie Williams who got this postcard is the same as the woman I found on the census records.



No comments:

Post a Comment