Thursday, December 8, 2016

Maud Joshua Healey and her husband, Edward Francis Mills

Maud Joshua Healey was born 9 April 1880 in Rensselaer, Jasper Co., Indiana.  Her parents were Joshua Healey and his wife, Julia Ann Howland.  Maud's father, Joshua, died in January 1880, three months before Maud was born.

Maud is found with her widowed mother and older siblings on the 1880 census.  The family is listed as follows: Julia, age 40, widowed,  occupation: milliner, born Indiana, father born New York, mother born New Jersey.  Living with her were: Dora L. Healey, age 10, daughter, born IN, mother born IN, father born Canada; George H. Healey, age 7, son, born IN, mother born IN, father born Canada; Rans Howland, age 44, (Julia's) brother, widowed, occupation Marble Cutter, born New Jersey, father born New York, mother born New Jersey; Rosa Jones, age 21, single, servant, born New Jersey, parents born Germany; Maude J. Healey, age 2/12 [2 months] daughter, born in IN, mother born IN, father born in Canada.



George H. and Maud J. Healey, probably about 1887
Maud attended Rensselaer High School and graduated in 1899.  The 1900 census shows Maud living in Brookston, White Co., Indiana, in the household of her brother, George, and his family.  Their mother, Julia, also lived with them.  Maud is listed as working as a newspaper publisher (along with George).



Maud J. Healey, about 1900
On 25 December 1903, Maud married Edward Francis Mills in Rensselaer, Indiana.  According to his WWI and WWII draft registrations, he was born 26 January 1880 in LaSalle Co., Illinois.   I believe his parents were Charles E. Mills and Anna Smith.  I find the family in LaSalle Co., Illinois on the 1880 census with a four-month-old son, Edward F. Mills.  By the 1900 census, the Mills family was living in Rensselaer, Indiana. 

In 1906, Maud and Ed were living in Chicago, Illinois.  A letter dated 9 May 1906 from Maud's cousin, Mary Dixon (Healey) Arnold, was addressed to "Mrs. Edward Mills, 46 N. Francisco Ave., Chicago, Ill.,  Apartment 22" and was postmarked San Francisco, May 9, 1906; return address: "1233 Willard St., San Francisco,   A.S. Arnold."  This letter was written a few weeks after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake of April 18, 1906.

The letter reads as follows:  "1233 Willard St., San Francisco.  
Dear Maud,   I know the few lines I wrote to you a few days ago were very unsatisfactory but we were all so upset I could not write any details. 
    We have certainly had an awful time out here but the fortitude of the people has been something wonderful.  The poor had to see their homes and the little they had go up in smoke, the comfortable also and the millionaires to see their immense holdings go.  It was the most ordinary thing to see two friends meet and asked [sic] "Well how did you come out" and both to say they lost everything.  I saw hardly a tear shed.  The people were really stunned.
    The earthquake was bad enough.  It was the worst I ever felt and the older people say the worst since 68.  I really ["think" crossed out] thought the end had come, so did my husband but he put his thoughts into words and said the end had come. 
    But all the damage from the earthquake could have been repaired, the fire was the terrible thing You see the water mains were broken by the earthquake and as the fires started water could not be obtained so the fire spread very rapidly having started where the city was very much built up.
    Almost two thirds of the city has been swept away and at one time we really thought this part would go.  For many days, the situation looked very bad.  The people had to depend on all supplies being sent from the outside but now those who have a few pennies can get food at stores now and thank goodness I am one of the fortunate ones who had a few extra pennies.  A little property I had is in the unburnt district   One of my brothers lost six flats bringing him a good income, but that is insured.  Most all the property my father left was in the burnt district and of course all buildings in that were destroyed.
    At first I thought I would like to leave the city but now that we are a little more settled I can realize I couldn't leave right away.  My interests are here and also my husband's.  He has been in the Real Estate Business for some time and was just getting a fine start.  He still has great hopes.  And as he is a hustler and also the young man he is with I think after a little things will be all right again.  The life we lead in dear S.F. at present is Camp Life.  We cook in the streets - just imagine, a few bricks with a piece of sheet iron over it for a stove and such a time I have to keep the food from getting smoky.  We have to carry water a block or two and drinking water about five.  A few weeks ago I would be killed if I had to do a washing but now I can manage to do it and without any conveniences too.  Wonderful the things we can do when we have to.  I am enjoying the best of health.
    Tell your mother that my mother keeps just the same, no worse and no better and we heartily thank you for your kind offer of assistance (please excuse blunders I can't seem to spell at all)  None of us are in need and if things don't get any worse we will be alright.  The unfortunate ones at present are the destitute.
    Maud, you and I seem to be very slow in starting to raise our families, but oh! I am thankful I haven't a little one now.  I love them too but after papa died I had very poor health and I have only begun to feel like my old self in the last few months.
    I am so glad to know you and your husband are well.  Now don't worry anymore about us, if I really needed anything I would surely let  you know.  Give my love to all your folks, also a lot for yourself and hubby from Al and myself.       Lovingly, Your cousin,
                        Mary H. Arnold
                        May 8, 1906"




By the 1910 census, Maud and Ed had moved to Ravalli Co., Montana.  They settled on a farm in the Corvallis area and lived there the rest of their lives.



Maud J. (Healey) Mills

Maud and Ed Mills on the porch of their home in Montana
On 26 May 1913, the only child of Maud and Ed was born at 10:15 p.m. in Hamilton, Montana.  Emily Maud Mills weighed 6 pounds at birth. 




Maud (Healey) Mills and her daughter, Emily Maud Mills, ca 1914

Emily Maud Mills with her father, Edward F. Mills, ca 1914
Maud (Healey) Mills at home in Montana


Ed Mills in Montana

I have found Maud and Ed on the censuses for Ravalli Co., Montana in 1920, 1930 and 1940.

On 30 April 1938, Emily Maud Mills, daughter of Maud and Ed, married Doyle McClure at her parents' ranch near Hamilton, Montana.  Emily and Doyle settled near Ed and Maud and are found nearby on the 1940 census.   I have not found any pictures of Emily or Doyle as adults.

On 2 July 1945, Maud wrote a letter to her nephew, "Jimmie," about the death of his father (her brother) George Healey:

"R7 rt 2 Hamilton, Montana
July 2, 1945

Dear Jimmie,
    It was mighty sweet of you to write to me I had promised myself that I would write to each one of you but H--- is paved, so they say, with good resolutions and Edward F. & I have about all we can do, especially now, running this ranch something demanding our attention every minute and never a dull minute.  I haven't been too well the last few months & when the word came about George [who died 02/12/1945], I just folded up & went to bed for a few days.  I had a nice letter from George just two days before the message came telling me of his passing.  I think I'll enclose his last letter which is full of the love and interest he had in all of you.
    I am so extremely happy over your son's name - the fact that you gave him my mother's maiden name [James Howland Healey].
    And thanks so much for the lovely picture of your son.  I think he looks quite a little like my mother as does Max's Anne.  I surely hope I may have a chance to meet this next generation some day but you will have to be the one to do the visiting I'm afraid.  I saw [Nancy] when I was back in 1937.
    I can't tell you too much about our family.  Mother [Julia Ann Howland] & dad [Joshua Healey] lost their two oldest children William and Florence but they were not twins.  Both died in Rensselear and are buried on the same lot with your father.  There was, the last I knew a small white monument erected at the head of their graves.  I was born in Rensselaer, April 9, 1880, three months after my father passed away.  Emily Maud was born here at the ranch May 26, 1913, twelve days after my mother, your grand-mother passed away.
    Mother wrote her obituary & I have a copy of it & if you should like a copy of it, perhaps can prevail upon Emily Maud to type you a copy some time.  Mother was born Feb., 9, 1940 [should be 1840] in a log house not far from Perrysburg, Indiana.  Her father was born in Orange County New York and his name was Joseph Allen Howland & his father was a full blooded Hollander.  His mother was a full blooded French woman - Jane [Purcellee]  Father & Mother were married at Logansport [Indiana] Feb. 23, 1864.  Mother taught school during the civil war and before father enlisted he taught school at the Smith school House north east of Rensselaer. I think grandfather & grandmother Healey (your great grandparents) are buried near Monticello, Indiana.  I still keep in touch with one of my second cousins at Rochester, Indiana and I will try to get some information from him about this later statement.
    Mother claimed that her family descended from the John Howland who came over in the Mayflower & that there was always a John Howland in the family clear down the line.  She also claimed a relationship with the Ethan Allen family.
    Of late I have been endeavoring to gather some family data together & have in the making a scrapbook.
    I was married in Rensselaer Dec. 25, 1903 to Edward Francis Mills.
    Your son is surely a grand looking boy.  No wonder brother George was always singing his praises.  Thanks so much for the lovely picture.
    Oh, yes, did you get your great grandfather's pipe?  I sent it to Stella [Stella Naomi Hough Healey] recently.  Your mother tells us she is going with you & your family on a vacation trip the 6th.  I hope you have a lovely time & that you will write me again and I do hope Stella will come to see me as soon as transportation facilities loosen up [WWII].
Love to you and all yours

Aunt Maud.

There are people who make a business of tracing your ancestry & at one time Time magazine gave a list of old family names they would trace for $10.00 one of them was the Howland Family. " 


Maud (Healey) Mills, 1945

Maud (Healey) Mills, 1947

Maud and Edward Mills
Maud J. (Healey) Mills died at their home near Corvallis, Ravelli Co., Montana on 3 June 1959.   She was 79 years old.   She was buried in Corvallis Cemetery.

Edward F. Mills died in May 1962 near Corvallis, Montana.  He was 81 years old.  He was buried next to Maud in Corvallis Cemetery.

Maud and Ed's daughter, Emily, and her husband, Doyle McClure, apparently had no children.  Doyle died 19 June 1971 in Hamilton, Ravalli Co., Montana, and Emily died 22 June 1987 in Ravalli Co., Montana.  They are buried in Corvallis Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment