Friday, July 24, 2015

Babies in the Attic - More Pictures from the Hankinson Attic

A few more pictures found in the attic of the John R. & Mary Elva (Stilwell) Jones home in Hankinson, North Dakota.

The first picture is an old tintype with no identification on it at all.  That said, I see a resemblance to the other baby photos posted further down.  The eyes, especially, seem to me to be like those of many of the Jones boys.

tintype of unidentified baby from the Jones attic photos
The next photo is identified, but I am not sure how he relates to the Jones family.  Written on the photo is "Edwin McLean Bristol at 4 Months.  Weight 18 lbs."  The middle name might be spelled "McLeun."  Here it is:


I know of only one Bristol connection to John R. and Mary Elva:  Mary Elva's brother, Lucien Stilwell, married a Julia Bristol, daughter of William Bristol and Sarah Merrick.  While I have not done much research into Julia's family, what I have done has not turned up Edwin.  

Looking at the Wisconsin Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908, I found Edwin Mclain Bristol born 29 September 1895 in Oakfield, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin.  This child's parents were Clarence A. Bristol (born Lincoln, Addison Co., Vermont) and Elsie B. McLean (born Metomen, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin.  I have found nothing on Clarence and Elsie that ties them to the Stilwell family except that they all lived in Metomen, Wisconsin.  So while we know this young man's name, we are not sure who he is.

Our next baby picture has the following on the back "Harry Evan age 5 mo 3 weeks." 

Harry Evan Jones, age 5 months, 3 weeks

The "Evan" gave me a clue that this was from the Jones side of the family.  With a little research, I found that John R.'s brother, William L. Jones, and his wife, Julia Jacobson, had a son named Harry Evan who was born 27 May 1898 in Neenah, Winnebago Co., Wisconsin.  I suspect this is the same Harry Evan Jones.  If so, then this picture was taken in md November 1898.  Harry Evan Jones, son of William and Julia, died in February 1970.

The final baby picture has the following on the back "Evan W. Jones, Age 1 yr, 2 days." 

Evan W. Jones, age 1 year, 2 days

Again, I can't be certain, but I suspect this Evan is the son of Robert T. Jones and his wife, Anna Engel.  Robert was another brother of John R. Jones.  If this is Robert and Anna's son, then he was born 7 May 1908 in Wisconsin, lived his whole life in Neenah, and died in Neenah, Wisconsin 7 March 1994.  Based on the information on the back, this photo was taken 9 May 1909.  The photographer was F. L. Fadner, who was a photographer in Neenah starting about 1905.

If anyone has comments or additions regarding these photos, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment