Monday, June 19, 2017

Letter to Minnie Stilwell from "Cousin Fannie," June 20, 1878

This is another letter to Mary Elva "Minnie" Stilwell from her friend, Fannie (no surname).  Fannie is probably Fannie Hanchett, who was the daughter of Jennie Bent & John Hanchett.  Jennie Bent was the sister of Edward Clarence Bent who married Minnie's sister, Hannah Stilwell.  So, if this is indeed the same person, Fannie was the niece of Minnie's sister's husband.

Others mentioned:

Warren = Warren Stilwell, Minnie's brother.
Blanche = Blanche (Stilwell) Munn, Minnnie's sister who was married to Fannie's uncle, Frank Munn
Mae = not known
Clara = not known
Belle = Belle Osborn, daughter of Annette (Stilwell) Osborn and Charles Osborn; Belle was Minnie's niece
Edie = Edith Stilwell, Minnie's younger sister
Minnie B. = not known
Cora = not known

******************

Letter addressed to Miss Minnie Stilwell, Ripon, Wis.  No return address.  Postmarked Sheboygan Falls, Wis.

                                     Sheboygan Falls, June 20, 1878

Dear "Cousin" Minnie:
   I should have thought you would have been sick a bed when you got home, after you left here, but I see by Warren's letter you were able to ride out, why Minnie I am astonished at your conduct, I wouldn't go out to ride with a young gent and stay until the "wee small hours" of the night or morning which ever you please to call it.  I thought you was a good steady girl, but I have changed my mind.  Minnie please tell me who you went to ride with.  I will promise not to tell, tell your "sisser" won't you.  I was so lonesome after you went away I didn't know what to do with my self.  I enjoyed your visit so much, I say your visit of course I didn't enjoy Warren's any.  How long is Cousin Blanche going to stay at the lake?
   My school is out one week from to-morrow.  I do hope I can come and make you a visit, but I don't know yet, whether Papa will feel as though he could afford it or not, but if I do come won't we have a jolly time.  I don't see what makes you remember the festival so well, it surely can't be the ice-cream, wouldn't you like a dish now?  There is going to be a dance here to-morrow evening and I am going with -- "I know who," can you guess?  I expect to have a jolly time.  Last Sunday was Childrens Day at the Methodist Church.  The church was beautifully decorated with evergreens and flowers of all descriptions, house plants and there was 8 or 9 singing birds hung around the church (I took my bird) They had responsive reading and singing by the children.  It was real nice.   I wish you had been here.  Mae was home last Sunday.   I don't know whether she will come home tomorrow or not.  She wanted me to send her love to you all.  Clara is going home Saturday to stay two weeks  We shall miss her very much.  Tell little Belle Cousin Fannie thought her little letter was "buful" and give her two, three kiss for me.  I guess I shall have to bid you good night as I want to say a few words to Edie with three, four, five kisses you "Sisser" and Cousin Fannie (please write soon)
Dear "Cousin" Edie:
   I was so glad you wrote too.  I am going to say a few words to you.  I shall surely expect you to come home with me, if I come to make you a visit this summer. Have you heard from Minnie B. since she returned to Waupun?  I have once, but I had to write first.  Did you and Miss Cora have a nice time in Ripon last week.  I am glad you enjoy taking music lessons.  I am not taking now.  It is almost ten o'clock and Mama is hurrying me to bed.  She joins me in sending love to you all.  Papa would if he was here but he is not so can't.  With lots of Kiss
          Coz Fannie
Please write








No comments:

Post a Comment