Monday, December 7, 2015

Captain Robert Floyd Braden, 1833-1877


Robert Floyd Braden was born 21 September 1833 on the Braden farm near Jefferson, Clinton Co., Indiana.  He was the fourth child of Burr and Mary Braden, but only the second child to live past infancy.  He was probably named for his paternal grandfather, Robert Braden, and his paternal uncle, Robert Braden, who had died of cholera a few months before Robert Floyd was born.  It apparently took Burr and Mary a little while to decide on his name since Burr's brother Addison reported that until Burr and Mary decided on a name for their new son, his father, Burr, called him "Pete."  He was well and about one month old when he was mentioned in letter from Joseph Addison Braden to his sister Elizabeth.

He is mentioned in a family letter  written 1 April 1834: "the baby...is not very healthy although it looks so."  According to a letter written by Ann Jenners on 1 August 1834: "Mary's boys grow finely.  The youngest is one of the handsomest children I have ever seen."  According to a letter written 30 August 1834 by Joseph Addison Braden, "Bob is the finest boy in all this country."  And according to Ann Jenners Jennings in a letter dated 15 February 1835: "Mary's little boys grow finely.  Bob is a beauty."



Robert is found with his parents and siblings on the 1850 census living near the town of Jefferson in Clinton Co., Indiana.  He was 16 and had attended school that year.  In 1851 and 1852, he attended Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana, where he was in the Prep School department and the scientific department during the academic year.  He lived in a dormitory on campus.


On 7 December 1852, he was commissioned 2nd Lt. of Company 6 in the 3rd Regiment of the 8th Mulberry District of the national guard of the State of Indiana to serve six years.  His commission paper was signed by Joseph A. Wright, Governor of Indiana.  He was 19 years old.

On 9 July 1855, Robert wrote the following letter (*see note below) to his sister, Sarah Deborah:
 "Jefferson, July 9, 1855        Your letter came Saturday, dear Deb, and none too soon for your good let me tell you.  But it did come then and let me tell you the truth, I have been determining for some time to give you an awful scolding for not writing some to me;  Father has worked himself into a perfect passion and every mail would ask in a rush and say - "Well I'll not put my self to the trouble of writing her again if that's the way she treats my letters." All this wrath was reserved [?] for you, when your letter comes and lo! the tables are turned at once and instead of "jumping" you, I am compelled to  [unreadable] amend [?] for my deed, glad if I can escape without being [unreadable] therefore "I think you are a real naughty boy, " Cool! busy?  A nice way to commence a letter to your loving Brother, who has been torturing [?] hiself [sic] to death for a year for [two unreadable words].  After making Pa worry for two weeks, your answer to his letter which was rather short both in matter & news, but that is alone attributable to the [unreadable] of the [unreadable].  [several unreadable words] a "settling down." And then, not content with that, but must even take up Sue's arrival, and rate me roundly for disclosing the fact of my being the bearer of a "ring" from the said Hubbard to Sue. But I have the advantage of you there, my dear girl, for it was your fault that I tried this for had you not told me such an awful _____ I mean had not told but that Mr Hubbard and her were both married and go with you to VA (which statement I wrote to Coz Suzzie) I would not have written any thing concerning it, but give my apology to Coz Suzzie for my former statement.  this came in as a matter of course, - not considering it anything a secret when two women hear of it, I took no care of it. But I got caught nicely.  Happening down at the [unreadable] the same night I recv'd it, I handed your letter to Sue to peruse, without once thinking of this content[?].  I sat there waiting patiently for her to get through with your epistle (by the way, write a little more plainly next time, for your matter don't pay unless the chirography is fair (I'll get a blessing for that)) when all at once I am awakened from a profound reverie by an awful slap on the face.  I could not for a moment contrive what was the matter, But Sue's "Now Mr Bob Braden, how dared you tell that," brought me up "standing," and I could do nothing but beg pardon and promise to do it no more, which promise I intend to keep most religiously - till I find out something else still, But I owe you one for this, and I could scarcely refrain from telling Sue how I happened to find out "who made that proposal," more especially when she went into a long dissertation on the difference of people in regard to keeping secrets, and chose to arrange you illustrated the class that could and I the --other. I was down to Crawfordsville a short time since on a visit   I got there at a [unreadable] and was compelled to return to J[?] that evening and was sorry that Hec had an engagement as I wished to see him [unreadable] but he could not stay.  "They" say that his marriage with Mati is a settled thing, and you may expect shortly to see in the City papers, the announcement: "Married on the --inst, Mr. H.S. Braden Esq'r, by the Grace of God, and his own good Etc., to Miss Elston, daughter of Major Elston "[several unreadable words] "The happy pair &c, &c---"    The Fourth was celebrated by the good people of our town at Kirklin from the fact that the Lord Templars had some kind of a "fixing" at that place.  It was rather a grand affair, but as I and mother [unreadable] of [unreadable] it, I can not give you a description of the proceedings.  We are still having a delightful time with the "housebreakers" and it is no uncommon thing for a house to be broken open once or twice a week.  Mother has prophesied that some one will get in her stores but I can't get her to [several unreadable words]  She is looking rather thin, but I supposed it was on acct of the [unreadable] all you took mother [unreadable] of the last.  Bro Hubbard writes very regularly and that is a great comfort.  Now you must, my dear sister, write soon and often to me and the family, for we do indeed miss you very much and the only way to console us is to write that you are enjoying yourself.  The [unreadable] are all very wild, and [unreadable]  I hear that you are enjoying yourself so much.  They all send their love.  You must answer Fathers letter or he will never forgive you for what he deems are awful in others but does not even remind him much of himself.  love to all.  Tell [unreadable] I will write to her if she will answer.  Write soon  With much love, Your Brother Robt."

In October 1855, Robert ran for Clinton County Auditor, but lost the election.

On 9 August 1861, Robert was commissioned to serve in the 26th Regt, Co. B, Indiana Volunteer Militia.  He was originally commissioned as a first Lt. by Gov. Oliver P. Morton and later was promoted to Captain.    By 22 September 1861, he was away from home serving in the Union Army stationed in Booneville, Missouri.  It seems from some of the family letters, that he signed up and left without telling his parents he was joining the Army.

Over the course of the Civil War, Bob wrote many letters home to his family.  A number of his letters to his mother are preserved as photocopies by the Indiana Historical Society.  They are interesting, but too lengthy to include them all here.

From the dates and addresses on the letters, it seems that Robert spent about the first year of his service in various places in Missouri.  He often wrote of wanting to get a leave of absence to visit home, but it does not appear that he was ever able to accomplish it.

On December 6, 1861, Robert's father, Burr Braden, died.  Robert was stationed in Sedalia, Missouri.    On 21 December, Robert wrote home to his sister, Sarah, after learning of their father's, death.  The letter (*see note below) reads:  "My dear Sister: I cannot say anything to comfort you in this our first great grief, but my anxiety is none the less to hear from you.  Why have you not written me?  I heard about one week since through Major Clark of our loss and again from Annie Jenners and Albie.  When I first received Major Clark's letter my intention was to return immediately home, let the consequences be what they might, but that night we received marching orders and since then we have been on - what we expected - the eve of a battle ever since.  The absence of Captain Logan left me in command of the Company, and I could not, without being cashiered and branded as a coward, leave my command.  You will see from the papers what the troops have been doing and though our Regiment took no part in the affray, having been placed on one of the roads to prevent the rebels from escaping, we had quite a hard time on the forced march and standing picket duty, as it has been quite cold with a slight fall of snow.  They have just brought in the prisoners - some 1300 - with a large amount of arms, tents, mules, and wagons.  It is the most severe blow the Secessionists have had in Missouri.  The excitement and labor, consequent upon our movements, has been of great advantage diverting my mind from the sad loss we have received, though in my tent at night his dear face seems always present, that same calm, spiritual look upon it which it bore when I last saw him.  I cannot realize that he is indeed gone - it seems impossible.   We again have orders to march, where I know not.  Captain Logan will be home ere this reaches you.  I send my dague - the first I have had an opportunity of having taken since I left.  You will see I have not fallen away.  Give much love to dear mother and all the family for me.  In haste, your affectionate brother, Robert."

From October 1862 to January 1863, Robert was stationed in Arkansas.  It appears that he fought in the Battle of Prairie Grove.

He was back in Missouri for several months in 1863, then sent via Vicksburg, Mississippi to New Orleans.

His mother, Mary Braden, died 5 September 1863.  It appears that Robert never got back home to visit her after he enlisted.

In September 1864, Robert was serving as Provost Marshall of the District of Baton Rouge, Gulf of Mexico and stationed in New Orleans.  He served there until he was honorably discharged in June 1865.

After his service in the war, he returned to Clinton Co., Indiana.  He was listed as "Robert F ae 32" on the 1866 "Enumeration Schedule of White & Colored Men Age 21 & Over" in Washington Twp., Clinton Co., Indiana.

By 1870, he had moved to Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., Indiana.  He is found on the 1870 census living with the family of Lemuel A. Huff.  He was listed as follows:  "R. F. Braden, age 36, male, white, Clerk in Store, $2,000 real estate; born in Indiana."

Between 1872 and September 1877,  Robert worked as the assistant cashier for First National Bank of Lafayette for about 5 years until the cashier retired, and Robert took his place.  A new cashier was appointed Sept. 22, 1877, which may mean Robert was too ill to work any longer.

Robert never married.

Robert F. Braden died on 12 October 1877 in Lafayette, Indiana, of "congestion of the stomach."  He was only 44 years old.

An obituary appeared in an unidentified Lafayette newspaper:  "Obituary.  We are called upon to announce the death of our esteemed fellow citizen, Robert Braden, Esq., which took place at half-past 8 o'clock o the morning of Friday last, 12th inst.  The deceased was taken sick two weeks prior to his death, his disease soon assuming an acute form, and developing into typho-malaria.  Subsequently hemorrhage ensued, resulting fatally as above stated.  Mr. Braden enjoyed an enviable reputation as a citizen and business man, his career being marked by courtesy and strict integrity towards all with whom he had dealings, and in no way was it more signally manifest, than during the many years that he acted as Teller of the First National Bank.  he was at one time largely engaged in the stock and grain trade, and during the war of the rebellion, made an honorable record in the Union army.  He was unmarried but leaves brothers and sisters who deeply mourn his untimely death.  His remains will be interred in Spring Vale Cemetery.  Funeral services from the residence of his brother-in-law, Mr. Horatio Jennings, No. 58 North Fifth street, this afternoon at 2 o'clock.  Rev. Chas. J. Clawson, of Grace Church, officiating."

He was buried in Springvale Cemetery, Lafayette, Indiana.

* A Note About Robert's letters:  The originals have been lost to the family.  The above letters are taken from transcriptions done 1932-1965 by Vera (Healey) Braden while the letters were in her possession.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment